• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sandrasim Creations

Started by sandrasim1, March 13, 2013, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrasim1

You never know what life has in store for you. 4 years ago I uninstalled SC4 and thought that my SC4 days were over.
I was wrong and it's all because of the new SC (I haven't bought it and doubt that I ever will). I wanted to play SC4 again so I installed the game at the beginning of this year and only a month later I found myself installing the BAT tool as well. It wasn't planned. It just happened.  :D The only difference is that I am using 3ds max instead of gmax today.

I have a few old gmax models that deserve a better fate than gathering dust on my external HDD so I decided to do something about it. I converted the gmax models to max models to see if they could be rescued. No way. So I decided to use them as a guide together with my reference pics and start from scratch.

These buildings are located in my hometown and they caught my attention the very moment I laid my eyes on them. They are a part of a larger residential block created by the American architect Charles Moore.

I have so far created most of the walls, windows and balconies. I am doing all buildings in parallel since I can copy and paste many items from one building to another one. That's also the reason that I am waiting to texture the buildings until they are all done.

My next step is to model the roofs. They were a pain to recreate 5 years ago and unfortunately they are a pain to recreate today as well. Sometimes I wish I had chosen simple boxes instead of these little monsters.  ::)

"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work"  Thomas Alva Edison

metarvo

Welcome back, Sandrasim1!  :)  It's amazing how much activity the community as a whole has begun to experience lately.  These apartment buildings look like they'll add much to our neighborhoods.  It looks like they will be complex to BAT, but you've made a great start at doing so.  I'm looking forward to seeing more!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sandrasim1

Thanks. :)

Sorry for the late reply but I have been and I am still fighting with the roof, roof junk and the attic parts. They are driving me nuts just as I suspected they would. I realized half an hour ago that I have to tweak the roof once again to accommodate the roof junk.  ::)

This is how they looked an hour before I posted the update.

Flatron

Malmö, isn't it?
I love it ;D

Diggis

Good to see you back Sandra.  I had to look at the 3 photos at the top to see if they were real or models as the colours are so vibrant. I love them!

riiga

Wonderful work on the building! Välkommen tillbaka till SC4D förövrigt.  :)

metarvo

Nice work, Sandra.  I'm looking forward to seeing more.  :)
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

antn

Ah, IIRC the neighbourhood is called "Potatisåkern". The models look good and it's nice to see some swedish BATs (not that these look particulary swedish though :P). Are you going to make the larger buildings towards Limhamnsvägen as well?

sandrasim1

Thanks.

Quote from: Flatron on March 20, 2013, 11:46:46 AM
Malmö, isn't it?
I love it ;D

Correct.

Quote from: riiga on March 20, 2013, 01:58:57 PM
Wonderful work on the building! Välkommen tillbaka till SC4D förövrigt.  :)

Hej och tack!

Quote from: antn on March 20, 2013, 06:35:28 PM
Ah, IIRC the neighbourhood is called "Potatisåkern".

Yep, it's "Potatisåkern" which means potato field. The piece of land where the buildings stand today used to be a real potato field IIRC and everyone in Malmö still calls it "Potatisåkern". 

Quote from: antn on March 20, 2013, 06:35:28 PM
Are you going to make the larger buildings towards Limhamnsvägen as well?

I am tempted because they would be something different but until now I have been able to ignore them. Now look what you have done. I have started to think about them again.  :D

sandrasim1

Since a month has passed since my last update I thought I would prove that I am still alive and kicking by showing the final models before I start adding textures and lighting.

I have finished the upper parts of the buildings, added details that were missing, and now I hope that the models are finally done (I am never sure about anything with these models anymore and there have been moments when throwing them into the recycle bin seemed like a very good idea.)

metarvo

Nice progress, Sandra.  If what we've seen so far is any indication, then I'm sure the textures and lights will be top-notch.  :)

mattb325

Even untextured, the details in these look great: they'll be a wonderfull addition to the game  :)

bap

Welcome back, Sandra. At least the new SC game has served one good purpose here  $%Grinno$% (inspired your return). Your new BATs are looking promising and beautiful even without textures yet. These are the kind of building I would like to live in. Looking forward for the developments!

Swordmaster

Fantastic work. I have a hunch these would also look good with a brick-like texture on them. Just a thought for maybe a variation.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Lovely work on these  &apls   They're very promising models!

Flatron

I really like these BATs and am looking forward to use them :thumbsup:
very very nice!