• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rayden's Sketchup Display

Started by Rayden, July 17, 2013, 10:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayden

After so many years playing, lotting and modding, it was about time I would start modelling as well. I don't get along very well on modelling with Gmax or 3ds Max, so I am doing it with Sketchup, and using Max to retouch textures, lighting and rendering only.
Here is some of my first works.

My very first model, very simple. Click to enlarge.

My second model. Click to enlarge.

My third model, a little more complex. Click to enlarge.

And this is my latest one, a lot more complex. Click to enlarge.

I have also one more model, but that one it's adapted from one find on the internet and I will show it later. I have also plans for another villa more or less on the same line as this last one, and also a bigger project that I will unveil later.
I hope you like it, and be gentle $%Grinno$% I'm only a begginer (4 weeks on this).

rooker1

To be honest I can do without the first model, but the rest of drop dead gorgeous! And you must get them in game for us as soon as possible!
Great work my friend and it's nice to see you playing and working with the game.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Swordmaster

I'm not sure how this works, but you may want to use a different program to apply the textures (or get other textures). These don't look up to the quality we've come to known for SC4. That being said I'm happy we have a new BATter :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy

art128

Fantastic start on 3D modeling, Silvio !

I'll agree on the textures, they need quite some work ( repetition, saturation etc)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Good start, I'm curious to see them in game!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

MTT9

I really like that third model.
I would work on textures, which for me is the most difficult part of the process.
Good luck, hope to see some progress :)
You can call me Matt

Rayden

Thanks guys for the support, but about the texturing it will take time until I reach that level Willy said the community is used to, after all you cannot expect that someone who just come out from the void and had start modelling about a month ago to present you works like "Aaron's", don't you? ;)
But I would apreciate a most indep criticism, putting in another words, some tips on that subject, as I need to learn and improve. :thumbsup:

Well, as no one complainted about the modelling part, here is a brief presentation of what I have been cooking, no textures this time $%Grinno$%

Those were rendered directly in Sketchup, the following one with Max

I was going to make it bigger but I'm afraid in the end I would not have the power to render it, I need to upgrade my PC one of these days. Right now it will fit a 6x3 or 6x4. The other models, I must find sometime during the week to lot them and grab some images from the game, they might look better ingame :thumbsup:

Rayden

art128

That's a nice model ! Is it by chance inspired from where you live? ;)

Props & Texture Catalog

Rayden

Quote from: art128 on July 22, 2013, 05:52:36 AM
That's a nice model ! Is it by chance inspired from where you live? ;)

Thx, yes, where I live it's a summer resort, full of sun all year round, so, there are many buildings around with large terraces, sunroofs with pools and the likes. ;)

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Rayden

Thx Aaron, I believe your laugh it's about my remark about your work, isn't it? :D If my work could be half as good as yours, I would be very happy, but not possible with only such short time doing it. ;)

whatevermind

You're modeling is amazing! Textures could use some work, sure, but you'll get the hang of that. Your houses 2 and 3 from earlier even look like they could be game-ready. Great work!

Rayden

Quote from: whatevermind on July 22, 2013, 05:32:38 PM
You're modeling is amazing! Textures could use some work, sure, but you'll get the hang of that. Your houses 2 and 3 from earlier even look like they could be game-ready. Great work!

Thx a lot for your comments, textures, a big problem, I'm even afraid of starting texturing this one $%Grinno$%

In the meantime I'll keep adding a detail here and there.

This is a preview render in Max

And this is a view from within the corridor, I know it won't show up in game, but I think it's a nice touch ;)

And this a general view with the noon sun

Next things to do, add some detail to the ground floor (backyard) and some details on the shops on the front part.

art128

Quote from: Rayden on July 23, 2013, 05:55:34 AM
I'm even afraid of starting texturing this one

When you will. Use Arch&Design materials. ;)

The view of the corridor is nice. I wouldn't do that tho because it up the poly count and makes the render time longer.. [I think, I can be wrong]

Props & Texture Catalog

vester

Quote from: art128 on July 23, 2013, 06:08:14 AM
The view of the corridor is nice. I wouldn't do that tho because it up the poly count and makes the render time longer.. [I think, I can be wrong]

You are right, but there is a way around it. Use Layers.
Help on Manage Layers Dialogbox.
Help on Layers Toolbar
Take all the object that is not going to show in the final rendering and place on a seperate layer. Then freeze that layer.
Freezed layer is just ignore when rendering is done.

You might need to put in some fill in object to fill any holes that would some how change the end result.
These objects you place in a seperate layer(s) so you can change between the full detailed model and the model with less details.

Rayden

Thx guys for the tips. I don't really have an update, as I haven't add anything new. Following Arthur's advice and with a few brief explanations from Arne, I decided to dive into learning the ins and outs of manipulating materials in Max. Only the look at those strange and many names of the material options scared the hell of me from using them until now. After watching some videos I have have now some lights on it and understand a little more. The only thing I done on the pics bellow was to change the pool water to something more credible, and I also found out that I don't need to use a light on each letter of the hotel name, and rather use a self illuminated material. Both water and self illuminated name still need some work as this was just a test.

Don't mind those squares surrounding the hotel logos and just bellow the name, it was because it uses the same material as the letters.

art128

Indeed, self illuminated material are a wonder! I love to use on everything I make... :D

You're almost there, I can feel you are doing some awesome progress and fast. For the text, you might want to activate the " Glare " in the Let there be light roll out, it gives a more real feel to the self illuminated materials.

I like the pool texture and reflections. 

Oh and don't forget to make SC4 view renders, help us to see how things will be. :P

Props & Texture Catalog

Rayden

Thx Arthur, those renders were made with lighting and cameras from bat4max, so it is quite close to the final work  if I used lods and preview renders.

gn_leugim

I have to second what has been said in so far, great modeling, but the textures need works, as far as I know, scketch isn't the best tool for it, so you should rework them in max/gmax before exportation.

Are you planning for Portuguese themed housing? :P