• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Red Creek Lodge

Started by D66, August 23, 2013, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D66

Hello everyone! I'm back  :D  I have started Batting again and here is the first one after a 6 yr absence:
Red Creek Lodge. Texturing has always been a tough one for me and I don't have to many good ones. Either the roof texture is to light or the deck is to dark. Opinions?

All feedback is welcome and appreciated!!

Girafe

It looks fine.

Have a quick look at Simfox's HD plugin for Gmax. It works fine for small item like yours.

Regarding the colors of the wood. Roof is indeed too bright and deck too dark (and maybe too red).

Keep going on this way  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vester

That is D66 we know. ;) Again welcome back.

Would agree with Antoine. Maybe turn down the saturation of the green wood. Specially the one at the back.

D66

The backside hasn't been textured yet but I will work on the saturation of the green trim color. I am in the process of changing the roof texture and the deck texture. Thanks guys!! :)

Simcoug

Hi D66,

I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy using your western theme BATs and all your great props.  I'm excited to see you back BATing again and the lodge is looking great.   :thumbsup:

D66

Thank you  ;D I appreciate that vm!

D66

Have done more work on this one and changed textures

cogeo

Hi D66,

It's just great to see you back! I wish you a fast recovery.

Have a nice time in the forums, and ummm... with BAT!

About your new model, I think the problem with the textures is actually two problems: the first is the high contrast between the roof and the rest of the BAT; the other is the colour manipulation of the BAT plugin itself. Fortunately these are both easy to fix.

If the roof is darkened and the rest lightened, the building will be looking much more balanced imo. But it's not just that, both the roof and the deck are affected by the colour shifts BAT introduces: reds are intensified and blues suppressed. This is very evident especially with textures you download fron the internet and contain a relatively large amount of reds. Textures like wood, hay, clay, soil, certain colours of stucco or rust etc, may be looking gorgeous on the internet, but awful on the exported model. The solution is to adjust the texture(s). There is an excellent tutorial by gaskooker here. It's not as tedious as it may look at first. You need to make this adjustment layer, but then it can be copied and applied to more textures, ie you have to do this only once. And if you are using Paintshop Pro rather than Photoshop, you can download the attached template, it contains a ready-made adjustment layer. I have made extensive use of this technique in my Rural Rail Station Pack. Without the adjustment, those clay roofs would have been an eyesore.

All the above are about the first pic. The new roof texture rather looks wrongly applied to me, the lighter side is usually put at the top and darker at the bottom. If the "weathering" and the gradient effects aren't yours (ie the lighter part is an illumination effect) better pick another one.

metarvo

Welcome back, D66.  SC4 has a way of bringing the legends back, doesn't it?  It's good to see you BATting again.  During my experiments with BAT textures, I always found that normal red in the texture ended up turning way too bright in the BAT, so I always tone the red down a lot.  The walls look better in the new pic, though. 

There aren't enough "log cabin" BATS out there for my liking.  The front porch and chairs add depth that I don't see everyday.

Good work!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

D66

Thank you! I am going to do what I can about the textures. Thanks for catching the roof texture mistake Cogeo!

D66

Made a few changes to the textures

noahclem

Welcome back!!!

Very exciting project. I'm wondering if you'll consider doing a seasonally snow-covered version--this could fit in wonderfully in a wintery scene like a ski resort. An HD render as Antoine suggested would also be great--I'm imagining this blending with his trees beautifully. Great work  &apls

D66

Thank you  ;D I have never done snow before but I will work on it and regarding HD, I will leave that one to the experts :)

metarvo

The new roof looks quite nice.  Keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

D66

This one has been sent to Barby for lotting :) BLS D66 is back in action  &apls

Simcoug

I like the updated roof texture - great work.   :thumbsup: