• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

DebussyMan

Awesome project!!! but I'm not really convinced on your approach on it. First, I feel the facade elements lack depth. Cornices and pediments look too flattened, and I feel that it would be worth the sacrifice to model some of the elements you treated with bumpmaps. Also, I'd like to see some more chromatism (you're missing some blue and red elements that would accentuate a lot the details). The column crownings are not very convincing, can't put my finger on what is wrong but at least I think they are too thin. The geometry of the domes is too crude, and the central one looks too flat; maybe exaggerating a little the proportions would make it look better from the SC4 angle. Not sure about the gold texture either, looks too "yellow" (there's a gold material I uploaded to the pri-lex, maybe you'd like to try it). I don't know if it is the final one, but the roof texture isn't really working. Finally, I think it is too stretched on the z axis, the half-point arches from the main entrance look a tad distorted.

Sorry for the lenghty suggestion... but I really love this building and hope you get it just perfect  :thumbsup:

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

xannepan

Debussy, thanks for your suggestions. I have taken into account a few (not all ;)) of them. The main dome is now subtle more outspoken.
I have added statues and details amongst others to the roof, all which are indispensible in creating more depth.
As for the textures: Porkie and I agreed long time ago on a "desaturated" color approach for his and my Paris set. I guess it's a matter of taste ( find many buildings way too saturated  ;D). As usual I will upload the 3ds-max ,so modding textures and rerendering should be easy.

DebussyMan

Hmmm... I would still recommend to enlarge a bit the crowning of the main facade cornice, at least enough to cast a shadow on the frieze. The gold doesn't convince me yet, it lacks "shine"; you should try playing with the material modifiers to get it right. Personally, I love the light blue zinc color of the real opera, but if you think it'd fit better with the dark one, I have no argument. The ribs of the side domes are too square and thick, round, slightly tapering ones with perhaps a ripped texture or bump map would make them look much better, like in the picture:

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

Swordmaster

noahclem

WannGLondon

I do not know how you do it Alex, amazing.
Call me Warren.

xannepan

Thx, everyone for the nice comments and suggestions. In the meanwhile here is the first ingame screenshot.
I used Debussy's gold texture this time... indeed much better :)

I'm creating a relative small lot with overhanging building so it will fit nicely to diagonal roads (don't worry I will take into account the immortality issue). I only need to make base sidewalk texture props that will fit the diagonals. Choosing the sidewalk props represent kind of a problem though, since I have to decide either release with a lot fitting to a 4 avenues (below) or 2-roads-2-avenues configuration. Anyway.. with some simple lot editing everyone should be able to adjust to their preferences.

||
  /  \
-      -
-      -
  \  /
   ||

Girafe

Good job but be careful to these parts, wall texture in not appropriate:

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

xannepan

Quote from: Girafe on April 01, 2012, 11:21:02 AM
Good job but be careful to these parts, wall texture in not appropriate:

Well I politely tend to disagree :P I took some pictures during my last visit to Paris a few months ago, but also on Page Jaunes you can see the wall texture I'm using for these parts closely approximates the real building. Pictures on the web are often too saturated or photoshopped heavily so the appreciation of colors is off...
Only for the stairs I'll consider something a bit more gray-ish. After that it will have to do... I'm spending way too much time with BAT these days :)

Alex

Girafe

tiling is smaller even if we can distinguish stones, your texture looks pixelised on certain parts:

:P
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

peterycristi

fantastic bat!  &apls but i think, you should maybe try out another texture for the golden statues. They just look simply yellow for me. Just the same problem like with pont alexandre. Concerning the modell i think that maybe on the rotunda you should do crowning details to go a little bit more outside. If you look at girafes photo and on much other photos, you can see, that the architect wanted to crown the opera with the rotunda. just check girafes photo and you'll see, that the details of the rotunda are going like away from the roof and not just straight up (difficult to explain in english, but i hope you understand what i mean). Even it seems to me as there are missing some details in the rotunda, especially on the top. Yours just doesn't look like a crown at all. All the rest is really wonderfull so far!  &apls

saludos
H I S T O R I S C H E S   B E R L I N

noahclem

Great to see this one on a diagonal overhanging lot--you can never have too many of them  :thumbsup:  And indeed those gold textures from Debussyman look great. Very nice work so far  &apls

DebussyMan

Quote from: peterycristi on April 02, 2012, 02:52:41 AM
but i think, you should maybe try out another texture for the golden statues. They just look simply yellow for me.

Actually, I think they look too green...  I originally made it for the Berliner Dom, so it would mix well with he copper roof. Here I believe you should change the hue to something more yellow/orange.

xannepan

I have slightly adjusted the crown, although I must say the perspective in Girafe's picture is really distorted. Pages jaunes gives a more realistic view.

I agree the gold is just a bit too green. I will fix it one ast time... But I can alread see it will be difficult to keep everybody happy ;D Next time please specifyyour desired RGB values  ;)

Now comes a phase that I hate... Creating the lot. Although this time it may not be too bad, as I'll keep it really simple. I have used the SFBT semperoper reward dat file as a basis (with a new instance off course) so modding is done.

After this one this one is done I propbably will do some row and corner buildings, although a courthouse, hospital, school, jardins botanique, river banks extensions and a few more bridges are still also high on my own wish list.  (For myself I have modded my previously released Pharmacy Bailly as a small hospital, and my bourse the commerce acts as a stock exhange now)

Additionally, I would really like to spend some time on going through the maxis set and delete all buildings which proportions don't fit Porkies and my own Paris set.

Argh... This really is a hobby... After soo many years I still haven't played the game  :-\

Girafe

Assemblée Nationale next?
The Floraler

Sciurus

Quote from: Girafe on April 06, 2012, 12:13:29 PM
Assemblée Nationale next?
Or Le Trocadéro, Les Invalides in the whole.... :D
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

I very like your bat,hope you made more..... :D

seven_sins

I really like your idea of creating more civic buildings to replace the maxis ones.

Btw do you have plans to create grand palais/petit palais and galeries lafayette?