• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

xannepan

This is what I have got so far. Some glitches... &mmm some that can be solved, some that can't. You get the best results if these are placed on slightly un-even terrain, so placing a good wall can be a bit challenging at times. Placement in water or on a slope that is partly in the water is possible and gives great results too.

I still need to tune the examplars. Currently each lot is modeled as a police station and generate hundreds of police cars :)

In the end I want only the towers and gates to act as small police stations and jails, while the wall will be purely decorative (still placed in the police menu though).

I'm still working on some variations too... just not sure when to stop...

-Alex

Girafe

Amazing development Alex  &apls &apls &apls

I spotted the same texture bug on the tower roofs (cone junction).

Is there light? like this:

Something you could add, bridge of Carcassonne  :):

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

noahclem

Wow, these are looking stunning Alex  &apls &apls &apls

vortext

Oh, those (far) walls are gorgeous &apls 

I assume you've also made transition pieces? i.e. farr to diagonal, farr to farr etc.

Can't wait to see it all finished & released, I may just start a new region when that happens. Keep it up  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kelis

Quote from: vortext on May 19, 2012, 09:57:02 AM
Can't wait to see it all finished & released, I may just start a new region when that happens. Keep it up  :thumbsup:

Me too, I'm waiting for your last bats to do a new region with all of them, I love your work my friend !!

&apls &apls &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Kergelen

Amazing set of walls! It's like a dream &apls &apls

Links to SC4 websites

xannepan

Thx! Glad you like it. Little set back: I propably need to re-LOD everything. The tighly fitting LODs are too complex and start to affect game performance. Down side of less complex LODs is that foundations won't melt as nicely as they do right now...

This is going to be an enormous amount of boring work  :'(

Quote from: vortext on May 19, 2012, 09:57:02 AM
I assume you've also made transition pieces? i.e. farr to diagonal, farr to farr etc.

Before I start project I always collect dozens of RL pictures... as far as I know transition from straight to diagonal pieces are almost always formed by a Tower at the corner...

mrbisonm

Quote from: xannepan on May 20, 2012, 08:42:58 AM
This is going to be an enormous amount of boring work  :'(

I feel with you, since I know too well how freakin' boring that can be. I had to re-LOD all my farmbuildings twive.........

Nice wall btw. The only thing I feel is more or less missing (not really important though), is the textured "waterline", you know, where the water meets the air.............Great stuff, can't wait for it to be released.

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

xannepan

Thx mrb...

Turns out some other issue was causing the performance problem  :satisfied:
Still I need to add a few pieces to complete the set, better be a bit more economic where I can.

In the mean time I have started playign with BAB a bit... thinking of making a water mill with the wheel animated.. perhaps also some windmills...

Any other suggestions for animations?

Someday I need to find out how to create and replace automata by medieval automata... horse drawn carriages etc..

-Alex

Glazert

Oh my! Not only are you preparing a realistic and flexible set of walls which could be used as castles or town walls, but you are thinking of bringing medieval Sim City alive with animations and automata. You are making it diifficult to choose between 19th Century Paris and medieval towns and villages.

xannepan

Next time I'll try to make a movie... but for now a screen shot will have to do :)
...both the windmill and water mill are animated ...

Obviously some details will need to be fixed, but much has to do with lot placement, to which i didn't pay too mich attention yet.

I'll try to add some foam effects to the water mill also, but that will require some effect modding (hopefully with Lowkee's help)

art128

Looking great there Alex! Both the windmill and the water mill are fantastically detailed.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

Looks really promising Alex !!

Hope to see an animation soon with a video  :)

ps: I believed that BAB only worked with Gmax and not with 3ds, I am wrong  &sly
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mave94

Those mills look fantastic! It is great you are going to make them animated. :)

vortext

Both the wind and water mill look fantastic  &apls Can't wait to see them in action.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Lowkee33

Quote from: Girafe on May 27, 2012, 03:46:07 AM
Hope to see an animation soon with a video  :)

Me too!  That looks terrific.

ps: I believed that BAB only worked with Gmax and not with 3ds, I am wrong  &sly

Looks like a 3D model to me, much too HD to be from BAB.

xannepan

Nope.. I am using BAB, but only for the parts that actually are animated. The other parts are rendered in 3ds max. i started from a 3ds max model, then exported as 3DS and imported in gmax. Next thing to do is (re-) apply textures in gmax to the moving parts, and apply a black texture to none moving parts. Then create the anim (easy, just a rotation) and BAB it (which in gmax takes a night)
BAB (gmax) is slow but really works great! But it would be great if we could have a (HD) version for 3ds max :)

I would like to try to also make real 3d model animations, maybe to add some animals (maybe some farm animals,like pigs, sheep). Looking at the horse animations in simcty-1.dat it should not be too difficult. These are low poly models. What I don,t get is that I can only find back 3 or 4 s3d models version to create motion... Which seems too few for the relatively smooth motion of the horses in the game.

Anyway, i shouldn,t be overambituous here or raise expectations. There are many unfinished projects at this moment and even more great ideas. moreover for most projects I stopped at the boring repetitive work... Still sooo much to do  :'( Also the weather is fantastic these days, so i am not spending as much time on this as during the past months.

Lowkee33

Quote from: xannepan on May 27, 2012, 09:38:36 AMBut it would be great if we could have a (HD) version for 3ds max :)

My experience is that the size of the 2D animation is dependent upon the size of the FSH.  Doubling the size of a regular model's FSH makes it HD, but doubling the size of an animations FSH doubles the size of the animation.  I don't think we can have 2D HD animations.

Compaired to a 3D animation, there are some pluses though.  2D animations can cast shadows, and I would imagine they are much less heavy on the computer.  Plus you get the lighting and shadows the model casts on itself much easier with BAT.

I've made a small windmill 2D animation (picture Deadwood's mills but with the spinning).  I ended up doing a fair amount of GIMP work on the animation to get rid of the poor rendering that BAT had done.

For something like a windmill, a 3D animation might be simpler.  You might have a lot of frames, but if you get them using the same MAT then all you're doing is a little math and some GIMP work.

QuoteI would like to try to also make real 3d model animations, maybe to add some animals (maybe some farm animals,like pigs, sheep).

I'm thinking chickens would be the easiest to turn into effects, but...

Anyway, i shouldn,t be overambituous here or raise expectations. There are many unfinished projects at this moment and even more great ideas. moreover for most projects I stopped at the boring repetitive work... Still sooo much to do  :'( Also the weather is fantastic these days, so i am not spending as much time on this as during the past months.

Yep.

RickD

I can't blame you for not batting when the weather is great outside.

The mills look fantastic, especially the water one.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

Stunning work on the mills  &apls  Enjoy some nice weather for me--it was in the 20s here this weekend but it snowed this morning!