• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

xannepan

Here is a preview video of what I have got in store ;)

Some comments in advance:
-The youtube compression unfortunately is much too strong. The rain and especially the snow look much better in the game then they do in the video.
-The red circles are a indicator that I am using during development and will be removed in the final version.
-Some of the effects need some time to "start up" (esp. the clouds). Starting up phase happens for every rotation or zooming action. It cannot be prevented.
-To limit performance impact I stopped using single particle raindrops and snowflakes. Instead I am using FSH with multiple raindrops and flakes. As a consequence at the edges of the rainshowers and snowstorm may look a bit strange.
-I can create instances of the effects that are toned down or up, ie heavier rainfall, or a lighter snowstorm.
-The snow doesn't stay on the ground yet mainly because I can't get the texture right.
-I have removed the destructive effects from the lightning... perhaps in a later release I can bring it back if people want it. It would help to add to the game experience.
-Sofar the effects are still placed on a bunch of lots. The start once a lot is placed. I think by making the exemplars 'seasonal'  and adding a random chance I can create a single lot that produces partially random and partially seasonal weather effects.

http://youtu.be/4tHUtPE6YnE

Air6

Unbelievable ! If someone had told us that we can play with the weather, I will have not been believing it. SC4 is not the same game thanks to all batters and modders like you. Many thanks for your work  &apls

kelis

Quote from: Air6 on December 30, 2012, 04:40:11 AM
Unbelievable ! If someone had told us that we can play with the weather, I will have not been believing it. SC4 is not the same game thanks to all batters and modders like you. Many thanks for your work  &apls

I think exactly the same !! You are amazing my friend !!!

wow  &apls &apls

PD: You'll release more medieval models?
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

xannepan

Vortex has offered help to finish the medieval set :-)
Time and RL are the issues ;-)

jmyers2043

Nice video, Alex. It has been fun watching the progress.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Swordmaster

Someone replace "Renaissance Man" with "God", please.

I have no idea what you're doing here except that it looks awesome. With that in mind, maybe this is a dumb question, but are the effects limited to be placed on lots? Could you for instance make an MMP that evokes them?

Cheers
Willy

Kergelen

Amazing video and effects, visually and soundly  :o &apls

Links to SC4 websites

mave94

&dance Unbelievable!! Just one of the most awesome things ever done with SC4! &apls

Schulmanator

Absolutely incredible. I am truly impressed!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

xannepan

Happy new year friends!

No time for a video today... there is nothing fake about this picture, just too bad you cannot see the motion....
The effect dir is great! More surprises soon!

(As for the weather mod, I am still struggling with the snow textures. As soon as I have that done, it is time for a cleanup followed by a test release)

Schulmanator

Wow! I am impressed with this. You have been on a roll making some great and much desired new stuff!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Girafe

Does the moon moove during the night?  ::)

(As for the weather mod, I am still struggling with the snow textures. As soon as I have that done, it is time for a cleanup followed by a test release)

:)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

xannepan

Quote from: Girafe on January 01, 2013, 12:39:05 PM
Does the moon moove during the night?  ::)

Off course. Also during day time, but is's easy to have it appear during night only. Don't expect any Keplerian orbits though :P

MandelSoft

Oh... my... freakin' ... GAWD! Those weather effects look amazing! You've outdone yourself again, Alex  :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

I've seen a moon on some SimCity 2013 screenshot, but this one looks a lot better. :)
Andreas

sim_link

The work you are doing here is fantastic... never thought I'd see weather in SimCity. And that moon...
Wow. Stunning!  ;D

xannepan

A slight setback... For these effects to appear correctly the position where an effect appears is relative to the position where the lot is plopped. I have found a property in the effect dir to generate a random position, but sofar - after a full day of searching  :angrymore: - I did not find a solution to have the effect appear relative to the center of the map. I need the center position to make it work though... Otherwise the effect lot always has to be positioned (approximately) on the center of the map.

mmmm... :-\

gn_leugim

jaw braking :O

I was wondering, one thing I miss about sc4, comparing to older versions, is the flood disaster. I have found once a disaster controler named flood in the Scdata1 but I was pretty much at a dead end because I don't know nothing about effects and stuff like this.

is there any change you can do something about it? create floods?

xannepan

I am looking for a way to trigger an effect without having to plop a lot. If I trigger the effect via the cheat mode (ctrl+x, typing Effect <effectname>) it turns out the effect is placed centrally on the map. Almost exactly what I want.

I am looking for something similar.

I have looked a bit into the LUA scripts, but I don't understand yet how they work. Does anybody know if what I want to achieve would be possible?

Side question: does anyone know what starts the fireworks during game start?

gn_leugim

QuoteSide question: does anyone know what starts the fireworks during game start?

and 4th of July too I think. So much meaning for Europeans and non-Usa lol

About the main topic, I have no clue =\ but that would be great thou using a lot isn't that bad I think.