• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

HurricaneMod10

How can I open the Effect Dir Editor Script with the ilive reader?  %confuso

vortext

Okay, I had a quick test run and this, THIS is amazing!!!  &apls &apls

On the other hand, now I need to rethink the entire grand masterplan for the canals I had planned! Thanks a lot!!  :thumbsdown:

Kidding of course! :D It's genius, really! A few observations though.

1) I created a bassin with 20m high 'walls' but the water engulfed the entire map, despite the water level remaining below the 20m.  &mmm

2) Which brings up another point, imho the water level is raised too high at once. Would it be possible to have it only raised by say 5 meters? Or even perhaps different levels per lot? Say, a 5m lot, a 10m lot etc., much like the ground raising lots. 

3) somebody ought to BAT canal locks so eventually we can have proper transitions between different water levels (ok this has nothing to do with your mod but it would be nice).

4) EDIT! If you raise or lower the terrain with the god mode tool, the lot is destroyed and more important, the water will disappear!

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

xannepan

Quote from: HurricaneMod10 on January 25, 2013, 07:18:17 AM

How can I open the Effect Dir Editor Script with the ilive reader?  %confuso

Currently there are no available editors for the effect dir. Ilive only allows to view it. I have created matlab scripts to read and write the effect dir, but editing is difficult and is done manually in matlab. I can share my matlab scripts but doubt it will be useful.

xannepan

Quote from: vortext on January 25, 2013, 07:24:28 AM
Okay, I had a quick test run and this, THIS is amazing!!!  &apls &apls

On the other hand, now I need to rethink the entire grand masterplan for the canals I had planned! Thanks a lot!!  :thumbsdown:

Kidding of course! :D It's genius, really! A few observations though.

1) I created a bassin with 20m high 'walls' but the water engulfed the entire map, despite the water level remaining below the 20m.  &mmm

2) Which brings up another point, imho the water level is raised too high at once. Would it be possible to have it only raised by say 5 meters? Or even perhaps different levels per lot? Say, a 5m lot, a 10m lot etc., much like the ground raising lots. 

3) somebody ought to BAT canal locks so eventually we can have proper transitions between different water levels (ok this has nothing to do with your mod but it would be nice).

Thanks for the feedback vortex! Good points... but I am affraid the section 5 entries remain much of a puzzle to me. I have got this far by many hours of trial and error...but it is tiring.... and I haven't found a consistent relation yet between the behavior and the properties in section 5.....

But what you can try is open the mod dat file in Ilive reader and tune the following (terrain brush) exemplar
6534284A     6A01FC2A     0C8AA2DE     
Properties Comp1Width and Comp1Strength should control the behavior to a large degree.  Both props have entries for each zoom level, but since I am using the brush as an effect-prop instead of an actual brush, I think only one of these entries is relevant (probably the first).

Another thing you may try is to create another lot (just open in lot editor and save as) and replace the jenx_water_1 effect by either jenx_water_2 or jenx_water_3. These effects have slightly different settings and it may make a difference. If you want the lots to be water compatible again you'd have to add a property in the reader (Lotconfigwatercompatible) and set  it to 1.

Question vortex: where did you plop the lot. At the base of the basin, or on a slope? You may want to try to experiment with this... it seems to make a difference, not exactly how though :(

vortext

I'll see what can be done with tinkering. It's rather curious though at 22m the water remains in the bassin.  &Thk/(

EDIT. I cut the values for Comp1Strength in half and what do you know, water remains in a bassin with 12 meter high walls. Cut it in half again and it sits in a 6 meter high bassin!

DOUBLE EDIT! Who would have thought we would ever be able to do this!?!

Yes, multiple water levels!! Needless to say this opens up all kinds of new possibilities!
time flies like a bird

xannepan

Good that this worked out.
Two questions though...
Do your basins really have different depths? If you dig larger holes you'd have to see the water transparency behaving similar as real water... Not sure that's what I am seein n your picture.

Second, what happened to the contrast of that screenshot ;) ? Is it the mod?

HurricaneMod10

Could you please to show me a share with your matlab scripts for me with the editing? The scripts could be moddable to save your work with the Effect Dir that was only allow and view it.

and thanks for letting me know about this difficult situation with the editing on Ilive.

vortext

Quote from: xannepan on January 25, 2013, 08:28:30 AM
Do your basins really have different depths?

No, they're all 6 meters deep. The bottom of the basins, hence the waterlevel, is at different heights. I imagined something like this could work out well in a urban enviroment as ornamental, modern sculpture like fountains or something, silly me.  :P

Quote from: xannepan on January 25, 2013, 08:28:30 AMSecond, what happened to the contrast of that screenshot ;) ? Is it the mod?

Erm . .  ()what() The only thing I did was convert png to jpg so what's going on with the contrast?!
time flies like a bird

Bipin

Xannepan is a god. It's that simple.

epicblunder

Quote from: Bipin on January 25, 2013, 09:22:09 AM
Xannepan is a god. It's that simple.

Frickin WORD.  My mind is officially blown.  Again.

Do you know how much time this will saving on filling in lakes in real-world maps?  No more spending a couple hours MMPing water over a whole tile.  Just build a 2m wall at the egress of the lake and drill a hole 1m shy of the water-lot depth somewhere in the middle of the lake and BAM! instant lake.  Of course you'd need to drop the water transparency in the terrain mod to almost nothing but that's a minute price to pay...

Quote from: xannepan on January 25, 2013, 08:28:30 AM
Do your basins really have different depths? If you dig larger holes you'd have to see the water transparency behaving similar as real water... Not sure that's what I am seein n your picture.

That look like Gobias' SV terrain mod.  In it he set the water transparency MinDepthforMaxAlpha at only 6m, so the water turns completely opaque very quickly.

sim_link

That's simply amazing... your advances to this game have been stunning. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you pull this off.
Simply epic, no other way to describe it!  ;D

NCGAIO

......................  :(

Any response to my post  ???  !!

xannepan

Quote from: NCGAIO on January 25, 2013, 10:27:54 AM
......................  :(

Any response to my post  ???  !!

I did send you a PM, can't remember when exactly but can't be more then a couple of days at most.

As for your post.. I think we have a language difficulty... Was not sure what you want me to respond to. Can you try again please to explain what you mean? :)
Thanks.

Edit: I completely missed the video (didn't show up on my ipad). That looks cool. I'd love to work together with you on this. How do you want to continu NCGAIO?

Serkanner

I can hardly believe what I have just seen. Water on different height levels. I propose to award a Nobel prize to Xannepan!

mattb325

Unbelievable....and simply amazing, Alex!! Saving different heights of game water is one of the holy grails and it looks like you've cracked it.  &apls

xannepan

And with the most simple effect possible, just one very simple entry.  $%Grinno$%

So guys, what do you think. I don't think I can solve the limitations I have mentioned, simply because the water itself is hardcoded. The effect dir merely allows placing it via a lot rather than with a terrain brush. And because the lot regenerates the water each time the game is started it becomes permanent. (Unfortunately that's also why bridges are destroyed on game startup :( )
But is it enough to release on the lex?

NCGAIO

xannepan

Quote from: NCGAIO on January 25, 2013, 12:31:32 PM
I don't understand NCGAIO  ()sad()

I responded to your post earlier. I think it looks great what you have done!
Please let me know how to continue. I would be happy to test what you have created! :)

NCGAIO

:) Sorry, the  ....  was not an answer, was at work and had to leave.

jmyers2043

How about that. Real above sea level water. Who would have thought.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)