• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

Girafe

Improvements look good, you can increase the size of te leaves by 120%
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

xannepan

Girafe, i think that is a good point. I decreased the total tree size by 120, but forgot to increase the leave size back again. Mmmmm there goes another round of rerendering :(

Simcoug. It is actually very easy in 3dsmax. You don't even need BAT4MAX since no rendering is involved. I will see if I have the time for a more elaborate tutorial later, but in short these steps are required (3dsmax required, won't work in gmax i think)

-first create a 16x16m (1 tile) rectangle. No need to texture it. Put a uvw map modifier on it. Put is a side temporarily

-now use a line to outline your sidewalk piece with the intended shape (for my quais i needed all kinds of curved shapes). Make sure you close the line.

- copy the uvw map modifier from the rectangle and paste it to your new sidewalk piede. The following steps are optional: You may want to texture with a sidewalk texture extracted from the game just to see if it displays correctly. You may want to check if during the paste operation the uvw map modifier box has not rotated. It should be in the same rotation as on the rectangle. After done you can delete the rectangle, but again thisnis entirely optional.

- in top view: select the sidewalk piece. And rotate it by -90 degrees around the origin of the grid! (Not around its own axis). It is important to do this is top view and that the rotation is -90, not 90.

- select the sidewalk model and export it as 3ds file (e.g. To your plugins folder). If it asks to keep the uvw wrapping, select yes.

That's all in 3dsmax. Now you need the reader. Best is to select an existing full 3ds model (e.g. an existing car model). Once the quais are released it is best to use one of my sidewalk models (s3d and corresponding prop exemplar) included in the dat file.

- Copy the s3d and exemplar and paste it (preferably to a new dat file).

- give both entries new instance IDs. Make sure the exemplar points to the new instance ID of the 3ds model and also change the exemplar name property in the exemplar entry.

- select the s3d entry an in the right pane of the reader select the import option. Import the 3ds file you created in max. Hit apply.

- if you already used one of my sidewalk s3d entry in the reader you are done. If you used another s3d model (e.g. The aforementioned car) as a starting point then you need to make sure the skin texture point to the correct sidewalk texture ID (you can do that in the right pane of the reader)

You are done. You can now select the model as a prop in the reader and apply it in the lot editor.

xannepan

Noah. I don't think I will make HD quais... Not that it is difficult, but too much time involved.

memo

I'd like to add that, when you insert your models into the s3d files directly, you should pay attention to the number of polygons, even if the model is flat. Try to keep it as low as possible, because the game will have to load and render them completely, even in zoom 1. A rectangular 16x16 plain model usually does not require more than 2 triangles - if the model is curved, I guess the poly count increases quite a bit. Remember that by default a usual BAT has only 3 faces / 6 triangles in zoom 1 and 2, as the game has to display a lot of these models, and most of the props are not displayed at all.

xannepan

Memo, in general that is true (and a good point indeed). However the modular quais (and most river/sea walls) need tightly fitting LODs (otherwise they won't seamlessly fit together or blend correctly with the water). Having that said it means for the quais it is actually more economic to do it this way :)

krashspeed

This is very interesting, but the model and texture seem to be banding where they overlap. Wouldn't raising the sidewalk in LE fix that?

xannepan

Krash: I have no clue what you are refering to...

krashspeed

Quote from: xannepan on October 22, 2013, 09:29:15 AM
Krash: I have no clue what you are refering to...

In your seawall image at the left end of the street, the sidewalk texture and grass lot texture are interfering with each other and causing a banded appearance. Would raising the sidewalk in LE cause a problem and would it stop the banding?

Edit: Wait.... what does your sidewalk show as in LE? Is it a prop or texture?

xannepan

Ah now I see what you mean. The props are already raised slightly. Raising more will cause other graphical problems. Some glitches remain, unfortunately, but most pieces are not affected.

Meanwhile I have uploaded the new Quais de Seine to wetransfer for testing. Usually, I would go for the BSC private board, but there are not many scrutineers these days with sufficient time for testing. I will wait for a week or so before I will upload to the LEX. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Note; once you deinstall all old quais de seine files, this will also resolve a texture ID conflict in the recently uploaded medieval set.

*** link removed: official version now on the lex ***
-Alex

krashspeed

I just downloaded it, Thanks!

I have some ideas for using the sidewalk technique already :).

vortext

Quote from: krashspeed on October 22, 2013, 10:21:35 AM

I bet you do. .  ::) Nice seeing you around here!
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

krashspeed

Quote from: vortext on October 22, 2013, 10:37:26 AM
Quote from: krashspeed on October 22, 2013, 10:21:35 AM

I bet you do. .  ::) Nice seeing you around here!

I visit here often, but post seldom. I know the Simpeg crew so well, but I don't really know anyone here - except yourself.

vortext

Quote from: krashspeed on October 22, 2013, 10:44:44 AM
I visit here often, but post seldom. I know the Simpeg crew so well, but I don't really know anyone here -

- and that's why you should post more often!  :D

Back to topic, Alex, this is friggin' amazing! One of the major drawbacks for using your quays was the Maxis texture but no more. &apls

Earlier report of misalignment was due to old quays still residing in plugins.  :-[
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kelis

Are the quays available now ? :o
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

xannepan

Available just for testing and scrutineering. Se wetransfer link a few posts back.

kelis

.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

mgarcia

Wow - the update to your Quais de Seine is amazing - I use SAP Euro asphalt texture and although the riverfront is amazing, had not used it before - did not like that it did not match but now.............so looking forward to using it.  Thank you so much... &apls ;D :D

kelis

Quote from: xannepan on October 21, 2013, 12:13:00 PM
Kelis, i must have completely overlooked your barges sofar. Otherwise i might not have created the same models once more :P

Hi Alex;

what about the barges ? I can't wait to have all of them on my hands, I like so much !! are you thinking to do more models ? or maybe some varieties colours ? You can not imagine how many time I was waiting for some barges like this, even for the houseboats that you are uploaded to the LEX, I think all of them are perfect to recreate some Dutch scenes and things like this, so thank you so much and I will be looking forward to get the barges  ;)

Groeten
.                                                                                                                      

xannepan

I will work on the barges a bit more before releasing them Kelis. Colour varieties, perhaps...

Meanwhile I finished the Louis Vuitton building. Now on the LEX.

MandelSoft

Oooh! That looks magnifique! Excellent work, Alex!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE