• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

xannepan

Mmm... It looks like something happened to the order in which the game loads these files, as I am quite sure the dat files themselves are correct (note that I only added airports, but did not change anything related to the original v2.1 version).
Let's figure this out....

Try renaming the ones you would like to enable with a zzz_ prefix.

-alex

xannepan

Back to some small effect dir experiments. Here is how water surfaces could look a bit more lively. Again I am trying to balance between performance impact to the game and nice graphic effects. Smaller waves/ripples look better, but also will demand more of your pc....
It works with any water color mod, but safe to say it does not look good on FSH which have baked in static ripples.
Once released the FSH I am using for this effect can easily be modded by anyone up to it.

http://youtu.be/9hbsDL12iOA

the vid qual appears to be suboptimal.. in the game it actually looks much better. Zip file attached. Unzip in plugins folder. Start the game, and place the test lot anywhere on your map. It will take some time before a proper interference pattern is established.

Feedback will be much appreciated.

I probably release this as a pack of several effect dir based water mods, including the ones requested some time ago by NCGAIO.

Other things I might be able to do is let the water surface freeze during winter (to be included in a possible new release of the weather mod) .... just need to design a good texture that does the job. Can't stop the seatraffic though... so that may look a bit weird...

gn_leugim

i'll try that latter at night wehn I get home  :thumbsup:

About that video... **drolls** want it...

Amazing... just two cents thou, it looks a bit random (should it?) and from what I see the water movement has no connection with the waves (maybe its impossible to do so, donno)... anyway... Amazing... *having a  eyegasm*  :satisfied:

:thumbsup:

xannepan

It's random indeed. Shouldn't it be? I didn't really look into the physics... Anyway it is also the best the game allows me to do :)

NCGAIO

Quote from: xannepan on November 25, 2013, 01:59:41 AM
I probably release this as a pack of several effect dir based water mods, including the ones requested some time ago by NCGAIO.

:) glad that you remembered...  would still like to try them.

As for your concerns with performance problems think given the overall lack of concern general with the limits of  game this is it already overtaken. Who wants to try a mod then have make at the own risk and if it works well on your system then enjoy the good luck.

I remember the initial curiosity about why a system for effects so detailed and with intensive CPU usage for a simulation game of cities.  ( Although one can not complain about something that makes changes are possible)

This passage from Inside Scoop maybe is the best explanation ..

..The script similar in style to the particle script you saw earlier can be used to assemble any effect of these parts into an overall" visual effect . " This effect can be created by the game , started , moved around , and stopped at will . ....
.... The beauty of this system is que if our artists decides They want to tweak the look - a different ring or grid , different timing on the various effects - They can jump straight in and tweak it Themselves , while the game is running . This leaves the Engineers with more free time for lunch ."
by Andrew Willmott , Software Engineer

Unfortunately it all take its toll with 2D acceleration techniques for the rendering the frame that was used for the game. Therefore animation will always be something that charges a high price for performance on misbehaving systems installed SC4.

But since you are with their hands dirty, if possible could enjoy and make a modification to the size and frequency of the "heli_closetoground"  well as the
"sparkles_of_purification" so that it can be applied in just three tiles then would be useful for channels systems such as CAN with Call and Simgoober texture along with those you've quoted.

tks..Nc

Vlasky

That is amazing! I love your modds. It's as if weather mod always existed, that's how integral part of the game it is in my mind! Thank you for creating these mods.
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

xannepan

Poseidon is coming along quite nicely. The picture shows the water ripples (they will move as demonstrated in the youtube movie).
I also have created beach paint, rock paint and several water texture effects (turqouise water paint in picture).
All effects can be created by plopping a lot. Ideally these would be MMPs but sofar no succes on effect based MMPs :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODxm1uDfaA&feature=youtu.be (it'll take some time before its available in HD)

I have also made a bit of progress too with the surface water mods, but those lots will remain very risky to use.

gn_leugim

Well, I guess they should be random, they are made by the winds, but in the mayhem of the surface and multiple waves generated at once, it ends be a bit random.  :thumbsup:

Btw, I  renamed the "SC4_Functional_Airports_V2.2" to "aSC4_Functional_Airports_V2.2" and now it works perfectly ;) thanks

vortext

The water effects look great, though it seems to be a feature primarily intended for video (as opposed to dramatic weather pictures). That's not to say it isn't pretty sweet.  &apls

The beach paint looks great too and it made me wonder: is it possible for example to modify this set so all brushes can be used at the same time? I'd think so, since your fauna brushes are also newly added to the menu but I couldn't get it to work, though admittedly I only tried quickly.

A few terrain brushes simultaneously would be nifty to have imho, even if it's only temporarily. Since it appears quite easy to change textures, one could quickly tailor them to specific scenery. Ideal for MDers I imagine.  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

weixc812

Quote from: xannepan on November 26, 2013, 08:55:57 AM
Poseidon is coming along quite nicely. The picture shows the water ripples (they will move as demonstrated in the youtube movie).
I also have created beach paint, rock paint and several water texture effects (turqouise water paint in picture).
All effects can be created by plopping a lot. Ideally these would be MMPs but sofar no succes on effect based MMPs :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODxm1uDfaA&feature=youtu.be (it'll take some time before its available in HD)

I have also made a bit of progress too with the surface water mods, but those lots will remain very risky to use.
Quite interested in this Mod, hoping to hear more about the progress.  :thumbsup:
btw, it's Ok to place a lot to gain these effects, just like Jupiter goes.
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

RepublicMaster

The water effects look great! Now all we need is improved waves. ;)

Keep up the great work!  :thumbsup:

xannepan

Poseidon waterfalls (works in progress).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY5xGxLztPg&feature=youtu.be

improvements
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOpMiy4Ze_Y&feature=youtu.be

Vid includes again the water ripple effect. Unfortunately in the video it is a little too subtle, but in the game it is just right imo ;)

-Alex

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Gugu3

Wow...this is gonna make creeks and rivers even more realistic!SC4 is going into another dimension with all the recent progresses with NAM,your stuff,ecc...
&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

You guys are creating a completely new game!
Cheers
Guglielmo

Glazert

I really like the waterfalls. Over what height range do they work?

vortext

The waterfall is excellent!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Swordmaster

Absolutely wonderful!

Cheers
Willy

RepublicMaster

The waterfall is wonderful! :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

FrankU