• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

vortext

Well the good news is I've actually been able to reproduce the disappearing sidewalks while only deleting the base texture. Moreover I've been able to bring them back. Now if what I think is the culprit is confirmed than it'd be one of the very rare occasions where proper 'Reader etiquette' has such an profound effect. What I'm talking about? Reindex LotConfig

Since honestly it couldn't possibly be an issue with the base textures it had to be something else. On a whim I asked myself: what would happened if I didn't Reindex the LotConfig once the base texture was deleted and lo and behold. . sidewalks were missing. Opened the lot in the Reader,  reindexed lotconfig and. . sidewalks are back.

So if you could try this: open the lot in the Reader, right-click in the right pane and choose 'Reindex LotConfig'. Now save the file, go ingame and replop the piece.

If this is not it, than I'm really out of ideas. .
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

pxljce

Gave that a try and no luck. I generally re-index/rebuild directory as a default, but thought maybe I'd been slack this time. No difference the walkways are still MIA. I'll keep poking it with a sharp stick till it surrenders.  $%Grinno$%

vortext

Welp, I'm stumped. . maybe somehow the lot files got corrupted, have you tried it on the original files? And also, have you tried deleting the textures in SC4PIM yet?

This is the craziest issue since a long time. Seems to me it's not the props or textures but rather something during saving the files which messes things up. Keep poking. .  ::)
time flies like a bird

pxljce

Now that you mention it when I looked at it in pim(p)x LE right in the beginning there was only the base texture. The prop that forms the walkway wasn't visible... I'll do it from scratch. Re-download, check that I didn't do something blindingly stupid re. files/old files/dependencies etc. and see what things look like in pimx LE/what happens when I delete it. Try out Reader again(and re-index of course). For tomorrow. :)

vortext

Yeah probably best to start anew with freshly unzipped files.

Also re-reading your previous message I just wanted to make it clear re-indexing the .dat file is different from re-indexing the actual lot file itself. Failure to do the latter is what caused the sidewalks to disappear on me.

At any rate, time for bed indeed.  :sleeping:
time flies like a bird

pxljce

Quote from: vortext on February 04, 2015, 02:06:36 PM
Also re-reading your previous message I just wanted to make it clear re-indexing the .dat file is different from re-indexing the actual lot file itself. Failure to do the latter is what caused the sidewalks to disappear on me.

Thank you so much for catching that, it did the trick. No more base texture and beautiful walls with shiny walkways intact. I wasn't even aware of the option. &ops I'll make sure to use it from now on.

vortext

Yep, you really want to make it a habit as well. Like I said this is one of the very rare occasion where failure to reindex the lotconfig has such an immediate and noticeable effect but it goes to show why I called it Reader etiquette. So as a public service announcement:

When you make any change to a lot file in the Reader, no matter how small or insignificant a change it may seem, always right-click and select Reindex LotConfig before you save the file!!

Anyway, glad it finally is resolved. Also curious if mgb's issue is the same. And by the way, mgb, the above also goes for T21s as they're essentially 1x1 lots applied to a network tile.
time flies like a bird

mgb204

:P I think you've hit the nail on the head, I can tell you I didn't re-index my files because I'm lazy and so I always fail when something like this comes up. To be honest I quickly modified the files to test them out, I wouldn't make this modification personally, in the process I totally forgot about this.

xannepan

cmdp123789

xannepan

May not be what you think

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

NCGAIO

cmdp123789

romualdillo

Hear me Roar?  ;D Or 17th century Spanish soldiers  ()what()... Those are the only things that come to my mind...

noahclem

FrankU

Sandeman Sherry?

"Het geheim dat je deelt met Sandeman"

catty

Quote from: xannepan on March 05, 2015, 12:03:05 PM
Things to come

&apls

Blades or Sails and even if you can't get them to turn it looks fantastic   ()stsfd()
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

xannepan

Hehe... Catty... you figured it out. Have you also seen my city hall? I am going by my new name XAVE now ;-)

catty

Quote from: xannepan on March 09, 2015, 09:41:59 AM
Hehe... Catty... you figured it out. Have you also seen my city hall? I am going by my new name XAVE now ;-)

Haven't seen it yet, was just voting   :thumbsup:  unless something changes the Cathedral is going to be winning

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.