• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

vortext

Over the weekend I've had a few twitch streams open in background and a certain point I noticed some very distinct and strikingly familiar buildings by a certain xave, figured it was you. It looked great! Too bad my pc is very out of date. .  all the more reason to get a new one sooner rather than later.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

cmdp123789

Is it possible to get a link to your twitch channel? that way we can all see what you mean.. I mean haha if it wasnt for vortext.. I would still be lost.. so a link would help a lot  ()stsfd()

vortext

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was during the paradox stream when the guy went into the workshop to grab an interchange I noticed some familiar buildings there. Here's the channel but I don't know if you'd be able to find again, guy streamed for like two days ~ 10h straight - you want the patron saint of roundabouts casts of 7 & 8 March. In case you're curious you can see him 'lotting' a custom building here.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

xannepan

Ever since simcity-4, city simulation has become more off a hobby for me than just occasional game play. Over the years I have created many custom buildings (mainly Paris and medieval themes) and mods (amongst other the Jupiter (weather) and the Aurora mods) for simcity-4. Simcity 2013 was a major disappointment on all accounts.

I have been fortunate to have been invited to test Cities Skylines' modding tools during the beta phase for the past couple of months. And during that time I have also been able to play the game. Cities Skylines exceeds my expectations. The potential that can be unlocked by the community and by DLCs provided by CO is unbelievable. I am absolutely overwhelmed by how great this game is.

Additionally, I have gained the utmost respect for CO. It is unbelievable what a small team of creative people can do. Aside from developing a fantastic game, CO actually listens to the community to the best of their abilities.

Bound by an NDA, it has been challenging for me not being able to respond to all the comments, questions, critisicm, (sometimes unjust) speculation on the forums. And I kept thinking if only you could get to play the game for half an hour and - like me - become captivated by studying the little CIMS in their daily routine, or laying out the most amazing road interchanges. Finally a game again I can enjoy again without having to shoot someone.

Off course some I do share some of the criticism that also has been shared on the forums. I could even create a list of a dozen or more features that I would like to see changed or improved. But all that is driven by my enthusiasm for this game, and there is a time a place for everything. So for now I am just giving this game a 10/10.

For me personally that also means the end of my Simcity-4 era.  With some sadness I am moving on, and I will start creating custom content and mods for Cities Skylines (under my new avatar name Xave). Goodbye and thanks to the SC4 community and friends for all the fun.I hope to see you all soon again on some of Cities Skylines forum.

-Alex

swordstalker2008

Very sad day to see you leave the SC4 community. I hope this new game lives up to what you says it can.

Glazert

I shall certainly watch out in the Skylines forums for what you come up with. I have been following the Skylines forums for some time. I have not yet bought the game. A recpmmendation from someone whose work I admire makes it more likely that I will. I don't think I have lost anything by waiting.

cmdp123789

Indeed a very sad update.. I understand now the "you might not like it".. although I think cities skylines is a good game.. its too quick to drop sc4.. there's a lot of content and history to just drop the game..

Anyways, I wish you luck on your new projects.. and I ask you one last question.. is there any chance you will release the last seine's river banks you were working on?

romualdillo

It's sad news, very sad... But I wish you the best in your new projects.

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Simcoug

Looking forward to your new creations Alex.
I'm curious - since you've had some extra involvement with the modding side of C:S, how difficult would it be for someone who created a model for C:S to also run it through the BAT?  I'm guessing that the modeling is done the same using 3D modeling software - so how many extra steps would it be to render said model for both games?  Is this an apple's and oranges thing, or would the process be possible with minimal effort?  Thanks for the insight.

FrankU

If and/or when other people from the community agree with you and leave..... What must we do with all our SC4 efforts? Will the Nexis/FrankU Dutch farms set be too late?

catty

Quote from: xannepan on March 09, 2015, 09:41:59 AM
Hehe... Catty... you figured it out. Have you also seen my city hall? I am going by my new name XAVE now ;-)

Yes it looks great as does the fire station ... sorry to read of your decision regarding this site and the game you will be missed   :(

Quote from: FrankU on March 11, 2015, 12:56:23 AM
If and/or when other people from the community agree with you and leave..... What must we do with all our SC4 efforts? Will the Nexis/FrankU Dutch farms set be too late?

Hi FrankU

The RTMT Team had just started back up again and we are working towards a new release I think we are going to be having some discussions later regarding this ... There are a lot of us who's computer's simply aren't up to playing this new game and you know my site caters for SC3K players (plus all the other games) but there is still quite a large number of people that are still downloading the SC3K files so I still think your work will be wanted and needed ... its a really difficult call to make and I would certainly hope that people stay on this site even if they don't play SC4 anymore but that's something for this site and its staff to decide on.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

cmdp123789

Well, I hope this game goes well as it looks like a good game.. but I think the adaptation process is going to be very long... so I dont see people just dropping simcity 4 and going into the other one.. I also agree with Catty, not every player is up to this game in terms of computer specs, and in my opinion, there is so much content for sc4 right now, that it will take at least 4 or 5 years for that game to catch up.. which by the time, we will have more content too for sc4.

New game, true, good game so far, true, but in the end, sc4 hardcore players are still gonna be here even if they have the new game, and we are still going to want more content.. it is because of people like Catty, or you Frank that this game is alive after 12 years.. and it took them 12 YEARS to come up with a game that sort of looks like the new thing.. but we will have to see.. competing against the custom content we have is hard.. so no, dont you guys dare to drop your work to move on, and no dont think sc4 is over because its fa from over..

kelis

I agree my friend, you are 100% right... &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

catty

Totally agree with cmdp123789 post   :thumbsup:  and just to confirm while I haven't talked to all the RTMT Team yet, those I have talked to are still committed to releasing v4.0 just as it seems the NAM Team are working towards NAM33   ;D
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

noahclem

Thanks for all your amazing works Alex. The name Xannepan has become synonymous with innovation, quality, and doing the undoable while your prolific works have been appreciated by untold thousands. Your discoveries and wisdom have added to the capable of many modders and batters and your legacy in the SC4 world is gigantic. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the new game and am sure you'll do great things with it.

It's easy for those of us most invested in to SC4 to get uncomfortable about a potentially great new game that threatens the value and relevancy of our efforts but if it's really the case that this game is what some people say it is then it's a good thing for us all. I think this site is also most interested in seeing what the wishes of the community we enjoy so much are and there's no reason Devotees shouldn't feel welcome to share their experiences and creations in Cities: Skylines with our community here.

Best of luck in all you do, anywhere you do it, Alex :)

NCGAIO

Well ... the truth is that the new graphics requirements (windows) are condemning not only SC4 but also many other legacy aplications for a confront with increasingly difficulties to run properly (at least outside of DWM) especially in the world of portables and this just tends to worsen of course.

While it is likely a great support  CO  to a community of modders do not believe in any way that Skylines become successor of something like SC4 in relation the interest in modify it.

I do not think even remotely will be possible to have the creative freedom that was praised in the games more recent , given the limits that are imposed not only by used technologies that make it more difficult but also by commercial interests that are totally different..(  the same with SC13 )

Certainly it is very sad to see his departure Alex  :( but  is perfectly possible to understand how exciting should be work on something new that although  not allow  for  same realism visual as used to seeing in SC4 mod brings a new horizon of possibilities on Latest technologies.

Unfortunately SC4 will never allow a more realistic animation to the level of current engines and this stateness in the game certainly does not fit the new publics that certainly prefer something closer of the real.

And now with no hope (RIP Maxis / Emeryville ) of that there will be some type of  continuity in new simulators (by EA)  may be time even to look at other horizons

Bipin

It certainly is unfortunate to see you leave us for CSL exclusively. Nonetheless, I know that whatever you do, whether it be here or there, it'll be awesome!  &apls My only qualm with this is that I'd like to see you coexist in both the SC4 and CSL modding realms. Akin to film and digital photography, one has come to supersede the other, but at the expense of extinguishing an irreplaceable quality, inherent only to the former. One is not better than the other, they are just different. Like film and digital, SC4 and CSL should be able to coexist. I'm sure you can agree with me on this one Xannepan as we've both had plenty of time to play this game, that SC4 and CSL are different animals, shroud under similar skins. I do wish you'd BAT for SC4 every so often, but I'm sure you'll also agree with me in saying that if there is one game out there which has a chance to do justice to the illustrious Sim City series, it'd be Cities: Skylines. So on that note, good luck with your future in CSL. I look forward to working with you in the CSL community and helping get the custom content community over there off to a spectacular start!

SYOTOS,
Bipin

belfastsocrates

On to pastures new :)

I would like to echo the comments that others have posted regarding their admiration of your work and its contribution to the SC4-community. A wonderful array of beautiful and detailed BATs which many of us are proud to have in our cities.

I truly hope that this new game provides the much needed boost our city-simulation community needs and completely and totally embraces custom content and game manipulation. If it does indeed live up to that idea then it will be successful.

I wish you all the best and I look forward to seeing what marvellous creations you develop for the new game.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

FrankU

Hmmm, the simple fact that Xannepan and Bipin are going to do some modding for CSL just might persuade me to transfer too....

But maybe it's better to thank you first for all that you have done for SC4.  &apls  &apls  &apls  ()flower()

Zeratai

Hi, I hope you can help me; about Quais de Seine pieces, there is only 1 corner piece on my seaport menu, I can't find the other corner so I can END the walls. Did I installedit worng or why I dont have it.

Hope tog et answered :D