• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

toxicpiano

Magnificant work xannepan! Had you thought a SG CAL canal version?
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Pat

WOW OMG that is soo stunning Xannepans!!! All i have to say is wonderful works here!!! - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

callagrafx

It's the slice modifiers that are causing the problem I think.  If you look at the mesh top down with the slices active, you'll see the polys "open" up.  Not sure there's an easy way around...looks like you will need to create a new shape as I outlined above, and use that as your foundation model.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

kimcar

&apls &apls Wow . what a masterpiece on the way. Great comeback mate. Nice to see your creations again. :thumbsup:

xannepan

I stopped working on Burg Eltz for a few days...

But I'm still working with BAT: I managed to import the antwerp cathedral in 3ds-max... and decided to do some restyling. Somehow I never managed to finish it the way I would have liked to, simply because memory issues in gmax. Moreover with flickr and the city of antwerp being available in birds-eye view in live maps I have many more pictures I can work with.

The screenshot shows my progress.. I have finished added stair towers to the two main tower, and this time I can manage to be more realistic towards the second tower (which now is only half finished)
The size is about similar to that of the notre dame... only this cathedral has a tower of 123m.

Don't worry about burg eltz... I will continu.

freedo50

Wow that looks absolutely magnificent xannepan, this is a cathedral on a par with debussyman's amazing efforts. Looks like we've gone cathedral mad!  :thumbsup:

Fred

RippleJet

:o
Another masterpiece, Xannepan! &apls &apls &apls

xannepan

Quote from: freedo50 on October 11, 2007, 07:53:51 AM
Wow that looks absolutely magnificent xannepan, this is a cathedral on a par with debussyman's amazing efforts. Looks like we've gone cathedral mad!  :thumbsup:

Fred

Thanks guys,

This model was released by BSC a long time ago already.
I made a serious design mistake back then... Didn't know anything about the need for economic modelling at that time, so the poly count is way to high... let's see how rendering in 3ds-max will work...

mickebear

I join the gang with a drool on the mouthside...

Emperor Stormont

Oh my goodness, Antwerp cathedral looks simply stunning, I adore BAT's like this, the amount if detail is what makes these such a joy to use.

Excellent work  &apls &apls

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

callagrafx

Quote from: xannepan on October 11, 2007, 08:10:57 AM
Thanks guys,

This model was released by BSC a long time ago already.
I made a serious design mistake back then... Didn't know anything about the need for economic modelling at that time, so the poly count is way to high... let's see how rendering in 3ds-max will work...

It should handle it a lot faster.  A couple of tips though... First, you should enable the 3GB switch.  This will tell your system (XP Pro hopefully) that it can use more than 2GB of memory & VM. This is how you set it:

Go to Control Panel > System
Click on Advanced tab
Click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery
Click on the Edit button and your boot.ini file will open in Notepad
Under Operating Systems, add /3GB to the end of the line

Restart Windows and you should be able to render oh so much more.

Second, render with scanline and under the renderer tab, make the anti-alias Catmull Rom.  You can render with MR and a GI setup, but it's a memory hog and a bit of bitch to set up.  Last, don't go too mad with lighting, it's another memory hog and is the cause of many an Error 6
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

DebussyMan

Great news! I always tought it would be impossible to to overcome your original, But you've certainly done it. Just fix your smoothing groups, they're not imported correctly from gmax. This very notisable in the front archivolte and gablet.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

xannepan

Quote from: DebussyMan on October 11, 2007, 01:02:21 PM
Great news! I always tought it would be impossible to to overcome your original, But you've certainly done it. Just fix your smoothing groups, they're not imported correctly from gmax. This very notisable in the front archivolte and gablet.

DebussyMan, thanks... I didn't notice it initially. Fixing all these things after import in 3ds-max is quite a lot of work. I started it but did not fix everything yet... Progress is slow but steady.. the differences (see picture) may be small but take a lot of work

mickebear

It is soo magnificent to see our cathedral as this kind of a picture - I live in Antwerp, about 1 km away from the cathedral and walk by it almost daily...

xannepan

Quote from: mickebear on October 12, 2007, 03:37:54 AM
It is soo magnificent to see our cathedral as this kind of a picture - I live in Antwerp, about 1 km away from the cathedral and walk by it almost daily...

I love Antwerp... great city.
Here is progress towards a more realistic model of the real thing..

xannepan

one more .. that's it for today..

mickebear

below the 2nd window from the left, there is usually a flea market with lots of 'antiques' on sale and often in front of the main door, you can find jongleurs...

iamgoingtoeatyou

thundercrack83

Whoa! That cathedral looks amazing, xannepan! Magnificent job, my friend!