• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Xannepans creations

Started by xannepan, October 05, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the weather plugin include a version with destructive effects (e.g. associated with tornados and lightning)?

Yes
41 (57.7%)
No
30 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 26, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

Serkanner

Its truly amazing that an, in my opinion, perfect model can be improved. But you have really done that.  :thumbsup:

As far as I know both Cogeo and Swamper77 have mastered the technique of making "true" transparent glass which let you see the automata.

Andreas

Swamper77 teached me how to edit a model to achive true transparency as well. As mentioned, it involves editing the S3D files in the building model manually with the reader. For the gmax/3DSMax model, you just need to create a regular transparent texture with the desired opacity. The BAT renderer will render them transparent, but all parts that are displayed against the black background of the rendering window will show up either completely transparent or completely black in the game. With the manual modification, this can be fixed, though.
Andreas

Serkanner

My apologies Andreas, I didn't know you have mastered that skill as well. I will remember it ...

iamgoingtoeatyou

xannepan, i always loved using your gare du nord, and i really cannot wait to see this revised one in the game, i can already tell it will be incredible!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: &apls &apls

Badsim

OMG , I've spent so many time to LotEdit again that Gare du nord ( spliting the bus and the train stations in two Lots perfectly coordinated ...) . I don't know if I must be happy or cry .... :D

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

callagrafx

Quote from: xannepan on November 23, 2007, 12:07:50 PM
A technical question concerns the strange lighting problem at the backside to the tracks. Any suggestions?

Hi Alex...

The problem is the CamLight Rig is not wide enough to fully encompass the model.  I had the same problem with a couple of mine.  The easiest way to fix this is to open up one of the CamLightRigs (I edited the standard one and re-named it) and change the hotspot/falloff of the mainlights to be much wider.  The lights are grouped so the best thing to do is go to Group > Open to edit the lights individually.  You will also have to move the lights back as well, but as long as the ref coordinate system is set to "local" then you can move it along the axis of projection.  Once happy, remember to select Group > Close.

Once you've done it, save the Rig, open up the model and go to Xref Scene, click on the Xref and at the bottom of the window, browse for the altered rig.

That should work.

Lee
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

N1_2888

()stsfd()
But it is sooo big ...  &mmm
But of course the original station is that big, too.  ;)

Meine Region E Pluribus Unum

Emperor Stormont

Truly wonderful, so pleased you have decided to improve the station, has always been a favourite of mine and have used it in my recent new Imperial Quarter, so that shall be replaced once this is ready.

So fantastic to have you back and creating such beautiful work.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

xannepan

Quote from: Andreas on November 23, 2007, 01:49:39 PM
Swamper77 teached me how to edit a model to achive true transparency as well. As mentioned, it involves editing the S3D files in the building model manually with the reader. For the gmax/3DSMax model, you just need to create a regular transparent texture with the desired opacity. The BAT renderer will render them transparent, but all parts that are displayed against the black background of the rendering window will show up either completely transparent or completely black in the game. With the manual modification, this can be fixed, though.

Andreas; does that mean that the ''real'' transparency (ie the result after modding in the reader) only works for parts of the building (like a glass roof) that are rendered against a black background?

Andreas

Well, if you create a model with (semi-)transparent parts, such as windows, they will be transparent if you use a material with a transparency (or opacity) setting. This means if you model something behind that window, you will be able to look "through" the window in the game and see what has been modelled there. However, if the area behind that window (or a glass roof) would show the black rendering background, those parts wouldn't be transparent in the game without manual modification of the SC4Model file. This is most apparent when you create a greenhouse, or a tram stop with glass roof.

Have a look at this picture:

It shows some greenhouses that jestarr created a while ago. Look at the upper area on the left picture - you will notice that the glass seems to be missing in the area where only the green base texture of the lot is behind the glass, but not the floor of the greenhouse model. This is the transparency problem we're talking about.

I assume jestarr used less than 50% opacity for the glass texture, so it becomes completely invisible. If it was more than 50% opacity, that area would become completely black, like the renderer background. Now with the manual fix the model looks like on the right side - a complete transparent roof, with correct transparency across the whole glass structure. Hopefully, that will answer all remaining questions. :)
Andreas

xannepan

Thanks Andreas... that leaves just three question: How much work does it involve to make a model like gare du nord transparent? Can I learn it myself? Or can you help me?

Andreas

If you know a bit about the Reader, you can do it yourself - it's just a few simple clicks, actually. However, a large model like the Gare du Nord will be split into a load of FSH textures, so it might take a while to process them all. I don't know if there's a tutorial available online, but I guess it couldn't hurt to post one. I'll see what I can do... :)
Andreas

callagrafx

To be honest, the current glass texture looks more realistic than if it were see-through...Years of diesel (and steam) fumes rising up will make the windows filthy and opaque...you've only to visit one of London's main stations to see that.  I'd leave it as is, maybe add a raytrace reflection set to around 10 with a sky environment map to make the windows more "window-like" but that's it IMO.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

rooker1

IMHO, I like Call's suggestion.  If the glass were to be too clear/see through it would look good but maybe too unrealistic.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

xannepan

Ok guys I'll consider it.
Question is how to deal with night view... just have a look at these pictures. During night there is much more to see inside... I'm reaching the polycount limit quickly so I cannot put a lot more junk (benches, people etc) inside... But it doesn't really look lifely... Also no trains without transparency... I could try to model a few trains, but the'll be static.

xannepan

Another night view. Look at the concrete floor in the front of the station hall ... really empty...
So the choice is to make static models with people benches and what have you.. or to remove the floor from the model, leave it black and let the 'real' transparency do its work. I the latter case in the LOT editor I could put moving people, trains etc inside the station...

rooker1

I really like how it looks so far.  And I hope you can find a way to show trains inside, static or not.

Robin   :)
Call me Robin, please.

N1_2888

It seems that you adapted not only the textures but also the arches compared to the former BETA version!  :)
Great!!!

Meine Region E Pluribus Unum

DebussyMan

Perhaps you could model the floor as a prop so you can place it under the "transparencized" building, and add people, trains, etc. on top of it. To get more realism, you should render the separate platforms with a dummie of the roof so it gets the right shadows.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

xannepan

Again I need your help;

On exporting the LOD in gmax I get an error code = 12, export failure?

On exporting/rendering  in 3ds-max I get code = 8.

Is there anywhere I can look for an explanation on these error codes and how to fix?

By the way: do I need to let the gmax-BAT exporting of the LODs finish 100%? Or do I only need generation of the proper file-name?

Latest problem: on rendering trees for Antwerp cathedral I get another erro in 3ds max : "png-library internal-error" and after that code 6.

I'm lost and frustrated... this keeps me from doing the fun stuff
Thanks,

Alex