• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Development Thread (formerly known as "Custom Submenus")

Started by daeley, November 12, 2007, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

No, the folder structure of the DAMN that the DAT file for the set resides in.

RebaLynnTS

Personally, I think that is an great idea, it should cut down on the amount of programming needed to make a set as well. It would also allow folks to do their menu's any way they want.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Diggis

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on May 25, 2008, 01:36:57 PM
Personally, I think that is an great idea, it should cut down on the amount of programming needed to make a set as well. It would also allow folks to do their menu's any way they want.

It's only going to take one line out of the excell spreadsheet as you still have to the rest.

HandsOn

Let me see if I get this right: all you would need to do is to create a menu structure, following Daeley's patterns, under the "Custom Menu" folder where his mod is installed, and stuff the various lots that clutter up, for example, the park menu, into a correctly named subfolder and - presto - you've got the custom menu the way you want it???

If that really is the case (and I have my doubts, that would really be too simple), could you then still set the "hidden" parameter? Or would you need separate MML's for such sets?

Or am I - once again - missing the point altogether??  ???

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

Diggis

Quote from: HandsOn on May 25, 2008, 01:44:36 PM
Let me see if I get this right: all you would need to do is to create a menu structure, following Daeley's patterns, under the "Custom Menu" folder where his mod is installed, and stuff the various lots that clutter up, for example, the park menu, into a correctly named subfolder and - presto - you've got the custom menu the way you want it???

If that really is the case (and I have my doubts, that would really be too simple), could you then still set the "hidden" parameter? Or would you need separate MML's for such sets?

Or am I - once again - missing the point altogether??  ???

No, not even close.  From what I gather, which would probably be close, is that you still have to create the DAMN DAT as per normal but instead of setting the menu structure in the LUA script it takes if from the folder structure of the DAMN.  I doubt there is a way to get the DAMN to read the lots from the menu files automatically otherwise Daeley would already have done it.

HandsOn

Thanks for clearing that up. Still, it appears if that "small step for mankind" would make it easier for us aliens..

daeley

Quote from: Diggis on May 25, 2008, 01:48:37 PM
No, not even close.  From what I gather, which would probably be close, is that you still have to create the DAMN DAT as per normal but instead of setting the menu structure in the LUA script it takes if from the folder structure of the DAMN.  I doubt there is a way to get the DAMN to read the lots from the menu files automatically otherwise Daeley would already have done it.

correct :) I'm still ironing out a few things... LUA doesn't have any filesystem functions in it. After (quite) a bit of searching I have found a .dll with some functions for lua 5.1 and a package to ensure compatibility between 5.0 and 5.1 that seem to work well in LUA sandbox mode... now let's hope the game buys it :p
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

HandsOn

Quote from: daeley on May 26, 2008, 12:30:07 AM
correct :) I'm still ironing out a few things... LUA doesn't have any filesystem functions in it. After (quite) a bit of searching I have found a .dll with some functions for lua 5.1 and a package to ensure compatibility between 5.0 and 5.1 that seem to work well in LUA sandbox mode... now let's hope the game buys it :p
Great. Which brings me to my next loaded question: Since SC4 has to "buy" the modifications, as you say, I am going to presume that all the various tools must ultimately use the same system to merge, or pack the files, since the game would otherwise not be able to read your stuff and wou's packed dat's. Thus whatever method SC4 Tool uses must be common to all. And since I am this very moment writing a tool to help me manage all my SC4 stuff (folders, backups of individual cities, regions, et al) I would very much like to find out more on how that is done. And where can I find LUA scripting tools, if any?

Or am I asking for trade secrets here?  ???

Jonathan

Here is my first 2 attempts at making DAMN files, they use the GLR stations form the BSC/SFBT GLR Tram Modd (the one that adds color lines).

yes.. lets hope the game buys it...(not that I understood everything that Daeley said ;) )

Diggis

Quote from: Warrior on May 26, 2008, 03:00:26 AM
Here is my first 2 attempts at making DAMN files, they use the GLR stations form the BSC/SFBT GLR Tram Modd (the one that adds color lines).

yes.. lets hope the game buys it...(not that I understood everything that Daeley said ;) )

I'll try and give this a crack this afternoon.

daeley

Quote from: HandsOn on May 26, 2008, 01:22:58 AM
Great. Which brings me to my next loaded question: Since SC4 has to "buy" the modifications, as you say, I am going to presume that all the various tools must ultimately use the same system to merge, or pack the files, since the game would otherwise not be able to read your stuff and wou's packed dat's. Thus whatever method SC4 Tool uses must be common to all. And since I am this very moment writing a tool to help me manage all my SC4 stuff (folders, backups of individual cities, regions, et al) I would very much like to find out more on how that is done. And where can I find LUA scripting tools, if any?

Or am I asking for trade secrets here?  ???

first question: this discussion is not related - remotely - to wou's datpacker or how the game stores files. With Warrior's idea, I'll probably even put the scripts un"packed" outside the Plugins folder.
second question: how about typing LUA in google? if that fails for some reason, www.lua.org is a good place to start.
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

HandsOn

Thanks, daeley. It had simply never occured to me that LUA existed anywhere outside of the game.

Diggis

Quote from: daeley on May 25, 2008, 02:43:15 AM
It's all not a big difference, I know, but I've been trying very hard to pinch off every minute needed to develop additional DAMN's and still there's only one person (thank you Diggis) who has done any.

I think you need to revise that comment now.  ;)  I've just checked out the ones by Warrior and they seem to be in working order.  I'm going to start a thread listing the sets that have been done or are being worked on so we can avoid doubling up on work.

RebaLynnTS

I'm still trying to figure it all out, and working on a set for one of my projects.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

JoeST

uhh... can I ask, is the scroll bar on the "form" supposed to be 100% of the height or not?

other than that, it is fantastic :) thankyou very much

(if only i could get the DDTK to work hehe)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jonathan

One more thing, does it matter if there are conflicting PIDs and LUA IIDs?
If so you should put the PID/LUA IID used for the set next to the list on the first post?

Diggis suggested I post this here from the sets thread.

klaascornelis

Its Good to see my fellow Belgians taking the lead on this one. This is a major breakthrough in the comfort of playing with custom content in SC4.
Bravo  &apls &apls &apls

But i'm not good with all the programing stuff.
Now is my question. Can i use this mod without any knowledge of Vb or Java. Is this designed for simple use?
I know i probably should wait until the final version but my scrolling finger just cant take it anymore  :D.

Greetings,
Me

Diggis

You can use the Mod without any knowledge of Modding.  And you don't need to know Java or VB to create new ones.  Just excel and the Reader.  :thumbsup:

klaascornelis

Thanks for the reply i presume You can modify the amount and content of the menu's in reader.

Reader is programming so i don't understand one single line of it. And what does excel has to do with it?
Is there somewhere a tutorial for this program. Or is somebody willing to give a quick one on this particular case?

Before i make a fool out of myself i found the development kit thanks to digis

Greetings
Me