• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Development Thread (formerly known as "Custom Submenus")

Started by daeley, November 12, 2007, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsOn

Great work, Daeley. Think I am finally going to take the plunge and see if I can work this out (being less than a novice) to get some good old German order into my menus..
Just hope all those "set-piece" creators are jumping on your bandwagon fast..  :thumbsup:

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

Jonathan

Yay, Awesome work :thumbsup:, sadly it's my last day of holidays and I've got to to at least start two projects, revise and do my normal homework :(.

EDIt: Just too tempting, my homework can wait ;)

CasperVg

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Diggis

Have you repaired the ones that i did?  Otherwise I'll fix em up.

JoeST

Is it that simple to convert old sets?

if so, WOOO will sort my set out once i finish sorting something out :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

RebaLynnTS

Good thing I haven't started my sets yet ... though I will be doing them very soon.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

dragonshardz

Daeley: there is a problem with where you are placing the DAMN files. Most Vista users are admins, but some of us (like me) are not and therefore can't edit ANYTHING (move, delete, copy, paste, etc.) without getting admin permission and my mom doesn't like to be bugged about this type of stuff much.

So what I'm asking if there is a way you could make this work from both Program Files/Maxis/SimCity4/Plugins AND Documents/SimCity4/Plugins?

And NO, I don't know any admin passwords so can't do anything about it.

~~Dragonshardz~~

Jonathan

You not an admin on Vista!!! Can you do anything on your PC? ;)

You can ask your mum to type in her password once?
If so open the Programs Files folder,
Right click the Maxis folder (that contains the Simcity files like the exe)
Click Properties,
Click the Security tab at the top.
Then click the button with "Edit..." on it (it has a  little shield on it too)
Get your mum to type in her password when if it asks and click continue/allow or similar. (i don't know 100% cuz I'm an admin)
In the box which has group or user names in it.
Click the Users item. (It will be like this " Users (PC name here\Users)" )
Then tick "Full control" in the "Allow" column.
Then click Apply and you have control over the Maxis folder and alll the folders in it, including the plugins folder.

The above will work for most folders(if it works, I can't check because I'm an admin (but I have done that to stop the stupid permission windows)  If it doesn't just ask.

And the new system works just as great as the old one :thumbsup:

JoeST

LOL CHMOD FTW

that should work, tho i dont know how good windows (especialy vista) is at coping with security...

Joe

dragonshardz

Warrior: I know what to do, its just that my mom does NOT like it when I ask her to put in her password for SC4 stuff.

My question still stands: Is or is there not a way to make the DAMN work from either plugin directory?

~~Dragonshardz~~

EDIT: I know that atm it can't but I am asking if there is a way Daeley can make it work from either place. Should've been more clear, my bad.

daeley

Quote from: dragonshardz on June 01, 2008, 09:37:17 AM
My question still stands: Is or is there not a way to make the DAMN work from either plugin directory?

short answer: no, right now I'm using the folder structure to build up the menu, and I can not make that work without access to the installed SC4 directory.
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

Daeley: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this next version has surpassed all my expectations, its amazing :)

The problem I am having with the DDTK is that i cant run the java, it opens itself in damn winRar... how u sposed to do it? (←massivly n00bish question)

and I just converted the set that I made... wow its ace :)

Joe

dragonshardz

Quote from: daeley on June 01, 2008, 11:30:23 AM
short answer: no, right now I'm using the folder structure to build up the menu, and I can not make that work without access to the installed SC4 directory.

Blast. Looks like I'll just have to wait for my mom to finally give me admin privileges.

Diggis

Quote from: dragonshardz on June 01, 2008, 03:30:25 PM
Blast. Looks like I'll just have to wait for my mom to finally give me admin privileges.

Do you still have the original download?  That worked fine so you could use that and apply the changes Daeley suggested above in reverse.  :thumbsup:

daeley

Quote from: star.torturer on June 01, 2008, 01:18:45 PM
Daeley: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this next version has surpassed all my expectations, its amazing :)

The problem I am having with the DDTK is that i cant run the java, it opens itself in damn winRar... how u sposed to do it? (←massivly n00bish question)

and I just converted the set that I made... wow its ace :)

Joe

hmm... the runnable jar file format is actually just zip format, which (if run as an executable) will run the main class. Apparantly for you it doesn't recognise it as a runnable. Try right click > "Open with" > "Choose Program" and then look for something like "Java (TM) Platform Binary" or "Java (TM) SE Platform Binary" or something with Standard Edition. If you don't see that in the list, check your Java installation.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

dragonshardz

:D A programmer w/o Java installed...

~~Dragonshardz~~

daeley

Quote from: dragonshardz on June 02, 2008, 09:53:27 PM
:D A programmer w/o Java installed...

~~Dragonshardz~~

actually, a lot of programmers don't program in Java, you know ;)
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

dragonshardz

Really? Well, stand me on a stump and shoot me!

(Is that an orginal "hillbilly joke"?)

Just used to most people "owning" (its free) a copy of Java.

~~Dragonshardz~~

Bleah can't spell my own screen-name!