• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Development Thread (formerly known as "Custom Submenus")

Started by daeley, November 12, 2007, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

well I am a php programmer, so dont need java, just a text editor ;)

and i have it on my pc but it doesnt have graphics drivers (linux) so cant play games heh...and its mostly corrupted :(

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

daeley

all right, seems we're picking up momentum again... let's not let it slide ;)

all I need for the mod to be complete is a Mac version of the indexer script (and a Linux version? can simcity run under linux?)
so if anyone with some Mac knowledge can translate the following (or check if it works on a Mac, but I doubt it)

echo off
del DAMN-index.txt
cd ..
cd Root
for /R %%i in (*.*) do echo %%i>> ..\Support\DAMN-index.txt

it recursively (/R) iterates over all (*.*) files in DAMN\Root and outputs their names to DAMN\Support\DAMN-index.txt

the mod is approaching prime-time ;)
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

klaascornelis

Great work dealy. &apls

Being a noob ad this kind of stuff i really hope that every package will be revised in order to work with your menu's $%#Ninj2.
Well a men can dream right....  :P

Diggis

Quote from: klaascornelis on June 05, 2008, 05:46:38 AM
Great work dealy. &apls

Being a noob ad this kind of stuff i really hope that every package will be revised in order to work with your menu's $%#Ninj2.
Well a men can dream right....  :P

That would be nice, but it needs people to do it.  &mmm

dragonshardz

As far as I know there is no version of SC4 that runs under linux....unless Joe (star.torturer) has some secrets he'd like to share or is dual-booting...

JoeST

I was using my laptop... but it is possible to run on Linux using a windows emulator called WINE (but I couldnt as I didnt have any graphics drivers)

Joe

catty

TV-VCR has started a topic on Simtropolis called "How to run SimCity 4 on Linux"

How to run Simcity4 on Linux
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

JoeST

Well after reinstalling it on my pc, I realised that what would be a good idea would be to have a copy of the placeholder file in the Root directory so that people can modify the directory structure to their hearts content without ever deleting all the placeholder file's....

btw, how goes development? or has RL struck?

Joe

Diggis

Actually, the power is in your hands...   :D

The last revision works really well and we just need enough sets to make a worthy release.  ;D

daeley

Since the files are a bit fragmented and not fully updated I'll post the near-final versions here again. I have updated all files including the tutorial and code generator to the latest version.

Click on the link (or right-click and "Save As...") to download

- DAMN.zip: The latest base files needed for the menu to work ingame. Unzip to your SC4 installation plugins (typically in C:/Program Files) to create the folders Plugins/DAMN/Root and Plugins/DAMN/Support. After adding files to the menu folders, always run the indexer script (by double-clicking it) in Plugins/DAMN/Support.

- DAMN-DTK.zip: The latest version of the development files and tutorial.

As soon as we have a sizeable menu set and no more bugs are found, these will be released on LEX

1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

Jack_wilds

Hey Daeley, Jack wilds here...

Hows life treating you?  trust all is well...writing to state that this DAMN-thing looks good and promises to make SC4 file management better.  I like the look of the buttons and choice of data that can be added to a button. :thumbsup:

'As soon as we have a size-able menu set and no more bugs are found, these will be released on LEX...'

Has any thing new developed since this post?  what does the game plan look like -if you care to share it.  I'm not asking to be a bugger, ::) just asking 'whats happening' concerning the general release, but I'm sure as with all the projects 'it will be done when it gets done' applies... best regards

later, Jack

daeley

well, actually they were almost ready to be released but there was one file in need of a last update... which never came *oops*

let's see if I can get the ball moving again...
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

Thanks daeley :)

this is a truly brilliant project

I would use it, but I only have 1 plugin :D

Joe

ps: is there any possibility of a set creating tool, that you just select the lot files and it creates the whole thing? (without the .... damn I have forgotten how it works its been so long since i used it :o  :-[)

Diggis

Quote from: JoeST on September 10, 2008, 03:54:09 AM
ps: is there any possibility of a set creating tool, that you just select the lot files and it creates the whole thing? (without the .... damn I have forgotten how it works its been so long since i used it :o  :-[)

What, and take all the fun out of it?   :D

JoeST

hey, you can always do it the old way if you want :P :D

It waould also be nice if there were a comprehensive tutorial... as I truly have forgotten how it works :(

Joe

cogeo

Indeed, DAMN is an excellent addition, and a very useful one.  :thumbsup:

What I would like to know is if it's possible to have (custom) submenus under a pack (ie pack subcategories), instead of just a one-level hierarchy, as is now the case with MMLs (and I'm not talking about the general DAMN categories). Does this require a custom script, or the "standard" script does this already?

As for what's needed to be done, I think the next steps should be to finish the pack and release it "officially"; it should also get some support threads too, one explaining its use (I mean for players - this should be stickied) and another one for reporting errors. Then the first DAMN set should be released; this could be done as a "demonstration" package, possibly including a comprehensive tutorial.

Sorry JoeST, but I think making a "DAMN Creator" tool wouldn't be of high priority by now, not only its too much work (just consider that someone should find and use a library reading, writing and modifying DBPF files), you also have to find someone who knows how to do it, is willing for it, and has the time too (who really?  %confuso). And once the procedure is finally well understood and standardised, I wonder if making the tool will then be really meaningful and worth the effort.

Keep the good work Daeley!

Diggis

Cogeo, the menu order of the DAMN is dependent on the file structure.  Users can customise this to their hearts content.  I would suggest going back a few pages and downloading the latest beta, and having a play and a read on some of the comments.

daeley

it appears all bugs have been ironed out and a first version will be probably released in the next few days....
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

City Builder

Quote from: daeley on September 11, 2008, 12:57:13 AM
it appears all bugs have been ironed out and a first version will be probably released in the next few days....

whoot whoot!  Congrats
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!