• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Development Thread (formerly known as "Custom Submenus")

Started by daeley, November 12, 2007, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Ta, that looks fine.  Do you see the options to open the Menu Browser in the advisor window?

City Builder

Not really sure, I've never looked into the advisor window to find the link.   I usually just open it from the News ticker menu which opens it okay, just doesn't list anything.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

Diggis

Thats what I meant.  Hmm, very strange, as it appears that the files are there, but the games no loading them.  Can you take a few screen shots please?

Jack_wilds

Hey Daeley...

so this 'DAMN-thing' is finally off and running,  &apls  Like it lots  :thumbsup:

later

Jack wilds

Pozzessed

&apls
A really BIG thankyou from me, it works a treat!
At last something that takes the strain off my aching menus .. even the water facility menu wasn't immune thanks to Dedgren and his irrestistible fences  $%Grinno$% I just wish I could understand how to create them myself and fix the over-abundance of fences, walls, plazas, parks, fields etc that comes with having a 3.7GB (packed) plugins folder  :-[
Please call me Roz.
Visit my BAT thread .. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11464.0
The Beginning of Knowledge, Is the Discovery of Something We Do Not Understand ...

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person.

z

I'm having the exact same problem as City Builder.  I ran the installation, sticking it in the global Plugins folder, and ran the indexer.  DAMN-index.txt looks good, the Root folder and its subfolders all look good, and when I run the game, there's the link to DAMN at the bottom of the news ticker.  But when I click on it, I get an empty menu, with just the Back, Home, and Help buttons.

I don't use Startup Manager, but like City Builder, I do use Vista.  (Specifically, Vista x64).  Has it been verified that this works with various flavors of Vista?

Jonathan

My guess would be that you need to allow access (UAC in vista) so that the game can access it. So in the security tab, and "Everyone" and give it full access.

Jonathan

z

I'm running as Administrator with UAC notifications turned off.  Administrators have full access to the DAMN hierarchy on my machine.

City Builder

Quote from: Warrior on September 21, 2008, 02:43:03 AM
My guess would be that you need to allow access (UAC in vista) so that the game can access it. So in the security tab, and "Everyone" and give it full access.

Jonathan

UAC is turned off on my computer, which would make me wonder about it, since I believe that I installed SC4 Deluxe when UAC was still turned on, and which caused a problem in my Tiger Woods PGA 2008 game with custom courses showing up only when UAC was turned back on, but when UAC was turned to off the custom courses wouldn't show up, makes me wonder if I need to reinstall Simcity 4 deluxe while UAC is turned off because...

In my computer, the DAMN folder has the permissions for all the different types of users set to full.  I do know this works on vista as when I first tried the beta build it did show some items in the menu browser, but now it wont.  Since the beta build and now, I've reformated my computer and reinstalled windows vista 32bit from new, which means that simcity 4 and rushhour were reinstalled too (only now IM using the simcity 4 deluxe disk to install the game instead of the two seperate disks).
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!

Pozzessed

Hmm .. guys, don't shoot me if I'm wrong but maybe you're looking for something that isn't there. Unless my installation is up the creek, there are only a few things actually in the DAMN menu like the BSC parks and trails under (I think) the recreation bit.
Please call me Roz.
Visit my BAT thread .. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11464.0
The Beginning of Knowledge, Is the Discovery of Something We Do Not Understand ...

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person.

Jonathan

I'm an administrator to and I run 32-bit Vista, I have had several cases when I am denied to create/read things even though I have allowed administrators full access to that file or folder.

You have to allow access from the game(which is not "an administrator").
As the DAMN folder is not a critical folder I just gave ownership to "Everyone", allowed full access to "Everyone" and made the auditing thing (not sure what it is) to "Everyone"

Try right clicking the game icon and click "run as administrator" and see if that works?

Jonathan

City Builder

Quote from: Warrior on September 21, 2008, 04:35:16 AM
Try right clicking the game icon and click "run as administrator" and see if that works?

Jonathan

Yup, I just did that but it didn't change anything.  Still can't get anything to show up.

Quote from: Pozzessed on September 21, 2008, 03:44:19 AM
Hmm .. guys, don't shoot me if I'm wrong but maybe you're looking for something that isn't there. Unless my installation is up the creek, there are only a few things actually in the DAMN menu like the BSC parks and trails under (I think) the recreation bit.

Yes, I understand that and that's all Im looking for, maybe I just don't know how to use it properly, I would think that the question mark allows me to query it to find items, so maybe Im not doing that right, I've tried entering things like BSC or REC or just R and or just P and B etc etc etc but nothing I enter and click OK brings back anything.

Diggis

Hmm, strange.  I have no idea about Vista, and expecially not 64 bit, but I assume you have tried navigating through the menues as well as using the search?

bwatterud

Sorry to be a broken record, but I'd like to put in my request for a Mac version again.  All it needs to be is the files installed by the .exe installer, in a .zip archive with instructions for where to put them (if anything goes anyplace other than the plugins folder). 

Diggis

Quote from: bwatterud on September 21, 2008, 10:54:29 AM
Sorry to be a broken record, but I'd like to put in my request for a Mac version again.  All it needs to be is the files installed by the .exe installer, in a .zip archive with instructions for where to put them (if anything goes anyplace other than the plugins folder). 

Unfortunatly that isn't all that is required, as Warrior pointed out earlier.  The format used to write the script isn't compatible I believe.  I'll check with Daeley as to whether it's just the index script, in which case you will have to manually add each folder and file to the index, or whether it's the whole menu script in which case... by a PC  :D.

z

I've attached my index file.  My experience continues to be identical to City Builder's.  And the picture he showed of his root menu is exactly what I get as well.

Diggis

OK, it seems something, possibly to do with Vista, isn't letting the DAMN file read the index script file.  Out of my league sorry boys, will have to wait on the boss.  Sorry, I didn't see City Builders image before, I always miss the ones posted like that.

daeley

Quote from: z on September 21, 2008, 02:21:10 PM
I've attached my index file.  My experience continues to be identical to City Builder's.  And the picture he showed of his root menu is exactly what I get as well.

hmm, looks like that *should* work. I will try to have a closer look asap.

Only people with vista having this problem?
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

z

Maybe the problem is related to Vista's Virtual Store, which affects files written in the Program Files hierarchy by programs other than installers.  Just a guess...