• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Development Thread (formerly known as "Custom Submenus")

Started by daeley, November 12, 2007, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hconline

Actually, Windows 7... :D I'll try that, see if it works. I seem to recall changing the permissions earlier so that the indexer would work.

Would it affect anything if my "My Documents" plugins folder were on E: drive versus C: drive? All of my \User folders are there, along with plugins etc. So I don't think so, but it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks
Life is like a butterfly, ephemeral, yet beautiful beyond belief. -Me

Diggis

Not sure, but it shouldn't, it should only matter if your game is installed in a different directory and then I'm still not sure it would matter.

hconline

Hmm... I still have blank menus. Everything works fine, but not a single submenu or set shows up in the DAMN menu. Would it matter if I installed whatever the menu is referencing in a different place than it is normally installed inside of the plugins folder? Again, I think this doesn't matter...

:(

Well this sucks.

Diggis

All the DAMN files HAVE to be installed in the game plugins folder.  The location of the original sets is irrelavent.

z

Quote from: hconline on February 26, 2010, 08:13:18 AM
Hmm... I still have blank menus. Everything works fine, but not a single submenu or set shows up in the DAMN menu.

Are you running DAMN as an administrator, or have you tried that?

I am also running DAMN on Windows 7, and it works fine.  I've even got my main Plugins folder set up as a junction point pointing into a folder into my Documents hierarchy next to my personal Plugins folder (for ease of use, so I can do all my work in one place), and the thing still works fine.  I have found DAMN to be quite robust.  Perhaps if you could outline specifically in a diagram what your file structure is, and enumerate the exact steps you take to set up DAMN, the problem might become clearer.  I'd suggest including everything, even if it means repeating some things from previous posts; having everything together in a single post may make it easier to see where the problem lies.

slystone2

I would do what z said, but just to add a suggestion...

Make sure there is a "DAMN Remove" folder in your Plugins folder, and see if it has anything in it - if you don't have the folder, it could be that your DAMN is configured wrong and it's putting the folder in the wrong place. Make sure your file pathways are set correctly, for example if your Plugins is in E instead of C drive, better check and see if DAMN knows that - I think the option to set the pathways are called "Configuration", but I'm not sure (I'm at work computer, no simcity here)

EDIT: FYI, I just realized that I use DAMN by way of SSP Tool, so I'm not sure if my advice is 100% accurate, I'm assuming it is the same setup

z

Quote from: slystone2 on February 26, 2010, 10:40:44 AM
I just realized that I use DAMN by way of SSP Tool, so I'm not sure if my advice is 100% accurate...

The folder zzz_DAMN_Remove is an optional folder created by the SSPTool.  It contains information on all the files you've marked to be hidden from your standard menu.  If you haven't marked any files to be hidden, the folder won't exist.  Even if it does exist, you can remove it and DAMN will still work fine - it's just that you will no longer have hidden files.

hconline

Here is my DAMN folder:

C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\

Inside is the Root and Support folder:

C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Support (has indexer and DAMN-index.txt)
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root

My Plugins folder:

E:\Harrison\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins

What I did:
1. Install DAMN
2. Copy DAMN sets from the DAMN sets thread here on this board into the Root subdirectories
3. Run indexer
4. Run SC4, blank DAMN menus
5. Give "everyone" permission for DAMN\Support folder

Could I be needing to run SC4 as an admin?

slystone2

z - thanks for the clarification, that's interesting to know.

I'll stay out of this then, but mention one thing I noticed: your plugins folder is in "Simcity 4", your program files are in "Simcity 4 Deluxe". I don't know if that matters as i use SC4+Rushhour and don't have Deluxe, just an observation...

cheers!

z

Quote from: hconline on February 26, 2010, 01:32:46 PM
Could I be needing to run SC4 as an admin?

Very possibly (at least the DAMN part); under Vista and Windows 7, the OS does some fancy hand-waving if an ordinary user tries to write into the Program Files hierarchy, and the files are diverted to a private location for the user. That may be happening to you, and would certainly explain your problem; running as an administrator would fix this.

Quote from: slystone2 on February 26, 2010, 01:37:15 PM
Your plugins folder is in "Simcity 4", your program files are in "Simcity 4 Deluxe". I don't know if that matters as i use SC4+Rushhour and don't have Deluxe, just an observation...

That shouldn't be a problem, as long as the folder name isn't changed after installation.

hconline

Well, I tried running it as an admin... still nothing. I tried it with a plugins folder that was blank, but for a terrain mod, NAM, and tree controller. Still no DAMN menus. It's almost as if it doesn't even see the index file.

z

I wasn't completely clear from your post - did you actually install DAMN from scratch as an admin?  (As opposed to simply running the indexer as an admin.)

The location of your Plugins folder wouldn't have an effect on whether or not your menus appeared - you don't even need a Plugins folder for the menus to appear.  You only need your Plugins folder when it comes time to plop the lots.  So it's got to be something in your DAMN installation that's the problem.

Jonathan

Quotedid you actually install DAMN from scratch as an admin?
This will not make a difference.

Can you post the contents of your index file?

Jonathan

hconline

Yeah, I installed DAMN from an administrator account with UAC permission. For some annoying reason whenever I run an installer, even one that doesn't install to the Program Files folder, it asks UAC for permission. Bah, damn annoying that UAC pops up when I install something to MyDocs.

Here's my index file:

C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Education\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Education\Schoolpack 1.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Education\Schoolpack 2.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Education\Schoolpack 3.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Education\Schoolpack 4.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Education\SG Education Lots\SG_Education.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Health\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Health\LBT Hospitals\LBT_Hospital.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Security\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Civic\Security\LBT Police Stations\LBT_Police.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Cultural\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Modular Amusement Park Pack\Ancillary Buildings\MAPP_Ancillary.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Modular Amusement Park Pack\Classic Rides\MAPP_Classic.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Modular Amusement Park Pack\Modern Rides\MAPP_Modern.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Modular Amusement Park Pack\Rollercoasters\MAPP_Rollercoasters.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Religion\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Rural Renewal Project\Cow Lots\RRP_Cows.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Culture\Rural Renewal Project\Fences - Gates\RRP_FencesGates.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Inland Waterways\Canal\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Inland Waterways\Canal\Simgoobers Canals\Base Set\BSC Goobers Canals Base Set.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Inland Waterways\River\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Inland Waterways\Stream\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\SNM Accomodation\SNM Accomodation.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\SNM Health and Safety\SNM Health and Safety.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\SNM Motorpool\SNM Motorpool.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\SNM Offices\SNM Offices.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\SNM Training\SNM Training.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Military\SNM Utilities\SNM Utilities.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Recreation\Fun and Sports\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Recreation\Paths And Trails\BSC Trails\BSC Park Trails.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Recreation\Woods and Green\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Other\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Other\Jeronij New Walls Set 1\JRJ New Walls Set 1.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Other\Jeronij New Walls Set 2\JRJ New Walls Set 2.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Other\Jeronij New Walls Set 3\JRJ New Walls Set 3.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Other\Jeronij New Walls Set 4\JRJ New Walls Set 4.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Other\Jeronij New Walls Set 5\JRJ New Walls Set 5.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\Public Transport\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\3 - RTMT Street Stations\1 - RTMT SAM Stations\RTMT SAM Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\4 - RTMT Road Stations\RTMT Road Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\4 - RTMT Road Stations\RTMT Tram in Road Stations\RTMT Tram in Road Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\4 - RTMT Road Stations\RTMT Tram on Road Stations\RTMT Tram on Road Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\5 - RTMT One-Way Road Stations\RTMT One-Way Road Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\6 - RTMT Avenue Stations\RTMT Avenue Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Transport\RTMT (Road Top Mass Transit)\6 - RTMT Avenue Stations\RTMT GLR in Avenue Stations\RTMT GLR in Avenue Stations.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Utility\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Utility\Water\SG Water Lots\SG_WaterLots.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Waterfront\PLACEHOLDER
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Waterfront\JRJ Breakwater\JRJ_Breakwater_Modular.dat
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Waterfront\JRJ Breakwater\JRJ_Breakwater_Street_TE.dat

z

This is a tough one.  It certainly looks like you're doing everything right.  Jonathan's correct, you shouldn't need administrative privileges to make this work, even on Vista or Windows 7 with all that file redirection.  But I never trust Microsoft completely, and I thought it would be good to rule that out.

Meanwhile, what happens if you just install DAMN from scratch from the LEX download?  Do you get the prepopulated menu?  It doesn't sound like it, but I haven't seen this stated explicitly, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, could you print both your "Target" and "Start in" folders for SC4 exactly as they appear in the shortcut that you use to launch SC4?  I know that you've removed the Apps folder, but I'm looking for a subtle inconsistency here.

hconline

For my Windowed shortcut:
Target: "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -w -r1024x768x32
Start In: "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\"

For my Fullscreen shortcut:
Target: "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -f -CustomResolution:enabled -r1280x800x32
Start In: "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\"

As for a fresh install, I've tried that. Although, I think I may have added some of the DAMN sets here on this board and indexed them before I started DAMN for the first time. And I've always installed some of the built in DAMN sets from the installer.

z

The shortcuts look fine.  So that's not the problem.

Quote from: hconline on February 27, 2010, 04:24:01 PM
As for a fresh install, I've tried that. Although, I think I may have added some of the DAMN sets here on this board and indexed them before I started DAMN for the first time. And I've always installed some of the built in DAMN sets from the installer.

I would suggest then that you just run the fresh install using the default options and do nothing else, and see if you get any menus entries.  Don't even run the indexer script.  This probably won't work either, but at least it's worth trying.  And whether or not it works, it will help narrow down the problem further.

hconline

haha! It works! I tried creating a new shortcut and it worked. I think the problem was that I was using Jumplist Launcher on Windows 7, so the shortcuts were getting changed by Jumplist Launcher...

Now, I have a new problem. The DAMN sets on the board, well, they the folders/categories show up, but the actual list for the lots doesn't. Like, I have the DAMN set for SG Water Lots, I have the lots installed, and when I get to that menu, it's totally blank. The ones that came with the DAMN installer, like the SNM ones, work just fine, but the ones I got from the DAMN sets thread don't. o.O

Jack_wilds

Quote from: hconline on February 27, 2010, 11:06:40 PM
Now, I have a new problem. The DAMN sets on the board, well, they the folders/categories show up, but the actual list for the lots doesn't. Like, I have the DAMN set for SG Water Lots, I have the lots installed, and when I get to that menu, it's totally blank. The ones that came with the DAMN installer, like the SNM ones, work just fine, but the ones I got from the DAMN sets thread don't. o.O

Hey hconline, Jack wilds here...

...if I may chime in here -although my techese concerning the DAMN is limited, I highly recommend getting stefan79's 'SSPtool (if you haven't done already)- DAMN program' as it will simplify the process of reconstructing the plugin disconnects, help reconstruct the 'damn root' in the maxis plugin file... also you might consider making your own root file tree instead of just settling for the default tree... best luck

Jack

hconline

Oh yeah, I know, the SSPtool is great.  I've been using it to create dozens of menus... I've got the RMIP and ACB VLT sets split up by plane and type of lot. I've got some for Buddybud's retaining walls, some for the MAPP, some for the RRP, some for SG's Water Towers... Some for PEG's CDK SP, for PEG's CDK OWW... and on and on and on... Gonna make some for SG's Urban and Irrigation Canals.

Edit: Hmm, new problem. All the lot's that I've set to hide with the SSPtool... well, they aren't hiding. Except, I think, for the BSC Parks Base Set DAMN menu that I made. And about 30 minutes into the game, my DAMN menus went completely blank. The ticker shows up, but there isn't anything there, no folders, no root, nothing.