• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Development Thread (formerly known as "Custom Submenus")

Started by daeley, November 12, 2007, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hconline

Life is like a butterfly, ephemeral, yet beautiful beyond belief. -Me

Stefan79

Hi together,

I'm currently working on my new DAMN Manager and I hope it will solve some problems here.
(Some menus won't hide with last DAMN although selected to hide.)

@hconline: There are some things you may consider:
Are the advisors turn on?
Are you using the popup dialogs or the news ticker to show the DAMN?

Stefan
SSP = Stefan's Self-made Productions

z

What I had found was that the "hide" function didn't work if you were trying to add it to an existing menu item.

In the new version, what I'd like to see most is that the dialog boxes remember where you were last and start from there.  At a minimum, this would be helpful during a single session; remembering from one session to the next would be even better.  Since I use DatPacker, all my files are in Plugins Disabled, not Plugins, and I often have to go several levels deep to get to them.  A feature like this would save an enormous amount of time.

An "Up Level" button in the file dialog box would also be quite helpful.

hconline

Quote from: z on March 09, 2010, 02:13:20 PM
What I had found was that the "hide" function didn't work if you were trying to add it to an existing menu item.

In the new version, what I'd like to see most is that the dialog boxes remember where you were last and start from there.  At a minimum, this would be helpful during a single session; remembering from one session to the next would be even better.  Since I use DatPacker, all my files are in Plugins Disabled, not Plugins, and I often have to go several levels deep to get to them.  A feature like this would save an enormous amount of time.

An "Up Level" button in the file dialog box would also be quite helpful.

Well... before I got my DAMN menus to work, the hide function actually did work, for anything I applied it to. But now that my DAMN menus do work, I can't get anything to hide.

As for the Up Level button in the DAMN tool, there is one. It's right next to the dropdown menu. It just doesn't have an icon, so you have to sort of mouse over it and find it by the little animation it has, sort of a depression.
Life is like a butterfly, ephemeral, yet beautiful beyond belief. -Me

Rady

May I contribute something that I discovered today (most likely this is common knowledge to the rest of SImcity world, but at least it wasn't to me): after re-installing my PC I forgot to re-install JAVA ... which basically led to the DAMN menu missing in-game ... it worked fine after I reinstalled java and re-indexed my menu.
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Stefan79

Quote from: Rady on May 31, 2010, 12:52:41 PM
May I contribute something that I discovered today (most likely this is common knowledge to the rest of SImcity world, but at least it wasn't to me): after re-installing my PC I forgot to re-install JAVA ... which basically led to the DAMN menu missing in-game ... it worked fine after I reinstalled java and re-indexed my menu.

Hi Rady,
JAVA isn't really needed to have the DAMN menu in your game, but it is necessary to run the Indexer (in the folder /damn/support). This will rebuild the index file which gather the paths to your DAMN menus and make it available in the game.
Only for the SSPTool/DAMN which can also run a DAMN Indexer you will need JAVA.

Stefan

Rady

Quote from: Stefan79 on May 31, 2010, 10:49:22 PM
Hi Rady,
JAVA isn't really needed to have the DAMN menu in your game, but it is necessary to run the Indexer (in the folder /damn/support). This will rebuild the index file which gather the paths to your DAMN menus and make it available in the game.
Only for the SSPTool/DAMN which can also run a DAMN Indexer you will need JAVA.

Stefan

Fine, thanks .. glad to see that my observation wasn't completly out of place.  ;D Since I only copied the DAMN menu from my backup into the plugin directory and then run the indexer without JAVA, the indexer just did nothing obviously (apart from running, which is what he did of course).
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

starfinder9659

hi,
I am having trouble with usuing the damn, see pic http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5156/damn2.jpg

now when I click/choose  a sign, everything goes like this? The image "http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3663/damn3.jpg" cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

why???

thank you to who responds,

starfinder :thumbsup:

z

I notice that you're using the Bigger News Window mod.  If the window isn't at the top of the screen, move it up, and you should be able to see everything else.  If you still can't, replace your current news windows file with one of the smaller files from the Bigger News Window mod.

Does that solve your problem?

Stefan79

@starfinder9659:
If you have used the SSPTool-DAMN to install the DAMN, then be sure you have choosen the size which fits your screen in the Installer.

buncheesy

Hi

I have been making DAMN menus using the now locked version of the SSP Tool.  I am aware this is currently being updated.

I have just downloaded Dapacker and was wondering whether packing everything would upset my DAMN menus. Sorry of this has been answered before.  have been searching but am still puzzled  ()what() as my computer literacy is fairly low (in fact I am getting into Simcity so much I am actually getting marginally interested in how the computer actually works!!)

Thanks.  I will experiment at somestage anyways and see what happens.

z

Quote from: buncheesy on June 08, 2010, 12:18:38 AM
I have just downloaded Dapacker and was wondering whether packing everything would upset my DAMN menus.

No, plenty of people do this without any problems.

AzaToth

Quote from: plutino on January 10, 2010, 01:41:21 PM
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post here, but since the problem only comes with DAMN but not other plugins, I'll give it a try.

I play sc4 with wine on a linux box.  So the DAMN menu popups well, but no item shows up in the menu.  I suspect that the cause maybe an in compatibility of the index file.  I have copied the index file from a windows installation in which the DAMN menu works fine.  On my wine box SC4 is installed to the same path as in the windows installation, so theoretically this should work, but it doesn't. 

I have tried to use a backslash to escape special characters in the index file [\, space, (, and )], no use.  I also tried to use a linux absolute path, which does, of course, not work. 

As I said at the beginning, this might be a problem with wine, but since it can be pinpointed to the DAMN index list, I'm wondering if there is any special requirement/assumption for the index file list in the code? 

Sorry for necromancing this post, but I've also got problem trying to get it to work under wine, I've tried everything to create an index file, but neither has worked. I thought about checking the code, but I can't find the full code anywhere :(

Of all different ways to create the index file, I think following is the "right" way:

(cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Maxis/SimCity\ 4\ Deluxe/Plugins/DAMN/Root/ && perl -MFile::Find -MFile::Spec::Win32 -e 'binmode(STDOUT, ":crlf");find(sub{ -f && /\.dat$/ && print File::Spec::Win32->canonpath(File::Spec::Win32->catpath("C:/", "Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe/Plugins/DAMN/Root", $File::Find::name))."\n"}, ".")' > ../Support/DAMN-index.txt)

travismking

I have a small problem with the DAMN, hopefully someone can help me with

Recently I changed the structure of my SC4 files, using the default plugins folder for the unpacked plugins, and using a different folder for the datpacked plugins, and launching it using the -userdir thing. DAMN works,it just doesnt hide the original lots in the standard menus, even after not datpacking the hide files, after reinstalling DAMN etc... Ive tried everything I could think of, anyone else that has had this issue? Or any ideas how to solve it?

joeltp85

Hey guys,

Anybody else seeing a weird box-shape flash on the middle of the screen when the game is set to cheetah speed? It's a quick flash every 2-3 seconds or so, and it's very annoying. I'm not 100% sure this problem is related to DAMN, but there are a couple of reasons that lead me to believe that it is. One, I didn't have this issue before I started using DAMN, and, two, it only occurs when I have popups enabled; if I turn popups off, then the problem goes away. Of course, with the popups off I am then unable to access the DAMN menu! Ugh. So, does anybody have any idea what might be causing this box-shaped flashing? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I just want to thank all those involved with the creation of DAMN and the SSP tool. They're awesome. :thumbsup: 

$ Dj D.P.E. $

Quote from: hconline on February 27, 2010, 11:06:40 PM
haha! It works! I tried creating a new shortcut and it worked. I think the problem was that I was using Jumplist Launcher on Windows 7, so the shortcuts were getting changed by Jumplist Launcher...

I'm lost here having the same prob the DAMN menu pops up but I have no folders or menus in it just the three icons at the top  ()what()

WC_EEND

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I have quite an annoying problem with the DAMN. The "open additional submenus" shows up in my news ticker and when I click it, I get the usual DAMN menu, the only problem is, it's empty. I tried reinstalling it a few times, also let the indexer run a few times, both didn't solve it. I'm running windows 7 x86  with UAC completely disabled.

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Stefan79

Hi Xander and others,

if the DAMN Menu seems to work but no icons are seen, it may be the following reason:
When starting SimCity with an link from desktop, be sure to have the working directory without the "Apps" at the end,
e.g. c:\Programme\Simcity 4 Deluxe\ instead of c:\Programme\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps.

Stefan

Quote from: WC_EEND on February 05, 2011, 08:53:34 AM
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I have quite an annoying problem with the DAMN. The "open additional submenus" shows up in my news ticker and when I click it, I get the usual DAMN menu, the only problem is, it's empty. I tried reinstalling it a few times, also let the indexer run a few times, both didn't solve it. I'm running windows 7 x86  with UAC completely disabled.

Xander

Grasool

hey,

does anybody know if it is possible to include maxis buildings in the damn?

thx

Diggis

There should be no reason you can't.  You'll need to find the exemplar of the lots you want to damn, and separate them out in the reader to load into Stefan's tool.