• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAL's BAT Cave

Started by callagrafx, February 03, 2007, 02:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cire360

I can't see the coverage area, am i missing something?  Applogies for resurecting the thread but would like to fix my problem.

Rayden

Quote from: Cire360 on March 05, 2012, 06:57:19 AM
I can't see the coverage area, am i missing something?  Applogies for resurecting the thread but would like to fix my problem.
If the coverage radius it's bigger than the tile you're building, most likely you will not notice. I haven't seen yet the radius numbers of that lot, but being such a big hospital it wouldn't surprise me that the radius it's big enough to cover a large city tile and go beyond borders.

rooker1

An easy way to test that...
Zoom out so that you can see the entire tile, now go to the coverage screen that should show the radius of the hospital, now click on the hospital in question and lower the slider to less than half.  Can you now see the radius?

Robin ;)
Call me Robin, please.

Cire360

Thanks for the quick reply, I'am using the biggest part of the region and i can't see it even when i'm zoomed all the way out so it must have one heck of a coverage on it.

chitown172

Fist of all, thank you, awesome hospital. Cities need a high rise hospital like this.
I just seem to be having a problem with the ambulance coverage slider. It's at 0 and at first i thought ok it just covers the whole map for free but then after a few hours i checked health and all were still in the red. I'm using CAM and NAM. Could one of them or maybe another plugin be causing the issue? Thanks, and thank you again for a kickass looking building.
Livin' in a vayun down by the river!!

vester

Please don't revive old inactive threads.
Its consider bad manners to do so.

Its been almost 5 years since last post.

chitown172

Apologies, am new to the forums. I'm desperate. Love this building: http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Plugin:Bywater_Springs_Medical_Facility   and really want to use it in my cities and the only support thread link sends me here. The newest topic I've come across so far is from 2013. What else can i do?

Andreas

I had a look at the lot file, and the property for the hospital coverage cost is missing indeed. I don't know if this is causing the phenomenon that you mentioned, but here's how to fix it:

First, bulldoze all instances of this lot in your cities and save them, then exit the game. Download and install PIM-X, then move everything out of your plugins folder temporarily (or rename it and create an empty "Plugins" folder), start PIM-X, pick the folder with the lot, and then click on "buildings" in the list on the left.

The hospital should show up in the list on the right, select it, and then have a look at the properties. Now do a right-click in this area and select "Recalculate properties as hospital" (or whatever it's called, I can't remember the exact words). PIM-X will ask for "filling degree", this is set to 0.5, meaning the building fills about 50% of the yellow box that is displayed in the lower left corner.

Personally, I'd say 0.5 is a bit high, maybe 0.3 is more accurate. Edit the value and click ok. PIM-X will open another tab with the lot file, ignore that, go back to the properties tab and click "save". Now exit PIM-X, start the game, plop the hospital and see if it shows proper values. Warning: Make absolutely sure to bulldoze all Bywater Springs lots in all cities before using the modified lot, otherwise, you might get the infamous "phantom slider bug".
Andreas

mgb204

Quote from: chitown172 on February 04, 2017, 10:52:48 AM
Apologies, am new to the forums. I'm desperate...
...the only support thread link sends me here. The newest topic I've come across so far is from 2013. What else can i do?

I understand why you posted in this topic. But users come and go all the time, threads like this one become inactive. Frankly whether to post here or start a more general "please help" thread in the SC4 Support/Help forum is not always the easiest decision. But when you come across a thread that is obviously dead (i.e. it's been a long time with no activity), a new thread is preferable. Because it prevents all the old inactive threads from being more visible on the forums. It's an organisation thing.

Quote from: Andreas on February 04, 2017, 11:15:45 AM
I had a look at the lot file, and the property for the hospital coverage cost is missing indeed...

Andreas is probably on the money about the fix, but I think we (SC4D) can do better... if the content is indeed broken, I'll see about fixing the file on the exchange. Since this is BSC content, it should be possible to obtain permission to do so. CAL is also sometimes around, albeit behind the scenes. So it won't necessarily be an instant fix, but I'll do my best to resolve the problem for all.

mgb204

So I've looked further into this file and honestly I can't see anything wrong with it.

The radius of the hospital is so large, even on the very edge of the city, you'll never see the boundary displayed. But it's there, watch the green circle emanating from the core when plopping it.

The lot doesn't have a cost for the Ambulances/Radius, but so far as I can see, it doesn't need it. Adding one certainly doesn't make it work better.

Remember, plopping a hospital doesn't make all your sims hale and hearty overnight. Like with any other action, it can be a very long time before you see sims with better health in the city. I tried a number of tests, in each one the hospital was working. In a blank city, it took almost 50 years before sim's health started to turn from red to red/yellow on their way to green. In existing cities, replacing existing hospitals with this lot did not have negative affects.

It's also worth noting, the way the game works, if you plop one hospital in a big city, it won't be as effective as having multiple hospitals/clinics. There is a property that works to boost the effectiveness of healthcare (and education, police, fire etc) when you have multiple such lots placed in a city.

In many ways, you could consider the modding used as a sort of "cheat" lot. It's cheaper than the Maxis Clinic, but many times more effective and covers an entire city. That doesn't mean the modding is bad, but it may not suit your play-style, so like with all content, perhaps not for everyone. As per Andreas' instructions, if you feel the need, mod it with PIM-X to alter the stats.

chitown172

Thank you both so much for the help, I'll test it again and let you know the results. If it's still not working correctly then I'll try PIM-X.

Themistokles

Quote from: mgb204 on February 04, 2017, 02:16:25 PM
Quote from: chitown172 on February 04, 2017, 10:52:48 AM
Apologies, am new to the forums. I'm desperate...
...the only support thread link sends me here. The newest topic I've come across so far is from 2013. What else can i do?

I understand why you posted in this topic. But users come and go all the time, threads like this one become inactive. Frankly whether to post here or start a more general "please help" thread in the SC4 Support/Help forum is not always the easiest decision. But when you come across a thread that is obviously dead (i.e. it's been a long time with no activity), a new thread is preferable. Because it prevents all the old inactive threads from being more visible on the forums. It's an organisation thing.

I know I'm also in the wrong thread about this... but I looked in here quickly today and this is probably the most respectful and warm way imaginable to instruct an inexperienced user about our dialect of forum etiquette. It should serve as an example for all of us and I think you deserve a +1 for it.

Friendliness to newcomers is a virtue.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

APSMS

Quote from: Themistokles on February 06, 2017, 11:57:10 AM
I know I'm also in the wrong thread about this... but I looked in here quickly today and this is probably the most respectful and warm way imaginable to instruct an inexperienced user about our dialect of forum etiquette. It should serve as an example for all of us and I think you deserve a +1 for it.

Friendliness to newcomers is a virtue.
Sorted.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

callagrafx

Quote from: mgb204 on February 04, 2017, 02:16:25 PM
Andreas is probably on the money about the fix, but I think we (SC4D) can do better... if the content is indeed broken, I'll see about fixing the file on the exchange. Since this is BSC content, it should be possible to obtain permission to do so. CAL is also sometimes around, albeit behind the scenes. So it won't necessarily be an instant fix, but I'll do my best to resolve the problem for all.

Sorry, been a while since I've popped my head in... RL and all that. To be frank I never understood the mechanics of these, I just made them look pretty.  My partner in crime was the wonderful Barbyw, who we lost some time ago, but she's still in my thoughts a lot of the time.  Please feel free to fix anything you need to make these assets work properly for you, and that goes for all my works.  And I suppose it's time to hand custody of them all over to SC4Devotion (not that I'm passing the buck or anything  :D :D :D).  They're now officially the property of the site and the admins and mods may do with them whatever they wish.  I wish I had time to do more, but in all honesty the urge to do more died when Barby did, it just wouldn't be the same without her. 
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

mgb204

What a pleasant surprise to see you dropping in here, even if just briefly. Being a newcomer I never really knew Barby, but it's clear that she left quite the legacy, one that makes her shoes very hard for anyone to fill in her absence.

However I mostly just wanted to say thanks for giving back your works to the community. Such selfless actions really do make a difference as the game gets older, ensuring great content is kept alive for the future, as such take some applause.  &apls

In case you didn't catch my follow up post, in the end having done some pretty thorough testing, I am confident there was nothing actually wrong with the hospital. So no worries on that front specifically.

Thanks for all your great works, I'm sure many people will find them useful and appealing long into the future. One of the highlights for me is your wonderful re-working of SG's canal set, possibly the nicest canals in the history of SC4. Not that I would look to pressure you, but if you ever do feel the urge to make some new models, I'd be willing to handle the rest of the modding/lotting for you. I'm a big fan of your work and can simply never get enough UK themed content.