• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Daeley presents... a new (and hopefully useful) pathing tool

Started by daeley, February 22, 2007, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daeley

When eding some paths I noticed some bugs so I fixed them (was not too hard thankfully)
- fixed the bug that when copy/pasting paths and pressing "update" not all paths appear in the menus
- fixed a parsing bug with version 1.1 paths

If anyone found anything else, please post and I will see if I can fix it before a new version is uploaded
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Jonathan

You mean you can edit 1.0 and 1.1 with you path tool?

I didn't know that, also one feature request, a upgrading 1.0 and 1.1. paths to 1.2 button?

Jonathan

Swamper77

Quote from: Warrior on February 25, 2009, 10:25:57 AM
I didn't know that, also one feature request, a upgrading 1.0 and 1.1. paths to 2.0 button?

There isn't a version 2.0 for the pathfiles, but there is a version 1.2 which is what I assume you are asking about. Version 1.2 is mainly needed for rail type networks where switches are involved.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

daeley

If you really need an upgrade button, I guess I could add that.
for now, I've made two more additions:
- when copying a path, the copied path also copies the traffic type, entry side and exit side from the original (previously they would all revert to default)
- added a "flipXY" which swaps x and y coordinates of a path.

I'll upload this version now.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

dedgren

Joris, would it be possible to add a function that would rotate the texture that the user inputs?  That would represent a huge savings of time in connection with symmetrical puzzle pieces.

PathCreator is one of those few tools that's not just marvelous at what it does; it's also fun to use.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Jonathan

Quote- when copying a path, the copied path also copies the traffic type, entry side and exit side from the original (previously they would all revert to default)
I forgot to say that bug, it was quite annoying, I'm glad its been changed :)

Also when you flip the path, could the entry/exit points be updated?
I feel bad making all these requests, please say no if you dont want to :)
Jonathan

daeley

Quote from: dedgren on February 26, 2009, 12:07:55 PM
Joris, would it be possible to add a function that would rotate the texture that the user inputs?  That would represent a huge savings of time in connection with symmetrical puzzle pieces.

PathCreator is one of those few tools that's not just marvelous at what it does; it's also fun to use.

David

shouldn't be too hard. And thanks for the compliment, you're welcome :)

Quote from: Warrior on February 26, 2009, 12:17:53 PM
I forgot to say that bug, it was quite annoying, I'm glad its been changed :)

Also when you flip the path, could the entry/exit points be updated?
I feel bad making all these requests, please say no if you dont want to :)
Jonathan

Don't feel bad making requests :) In fact, you can always make suggestions on how to make it better. I'll see what I can do on the flipping, it's a bit less straightforward but shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Also, I've been thinking about the color scheme, I could probably change that to Maxis colors (car = green, peds = pink, train = orange, etc.) What do you think?
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

daeley

here's a test version (may be some bugs since I changed a bit of code here and there) [Click me]

- added texture rotation tools
- when rotating/flipping paths, the entry and exit side will change correspondingly
- added "upgrade to 1.2" button
- added path coloring in textview frame
- added some font selection options

fixed a bug that occured when copy/pasting in code, version at the link is updated at 17:50 my time (CET)
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

daeley

I've fixed some bugs in the version from last post, now it should be stable: [Click me]

I'll might try to add a "File" menu before I release the next version on LEX. Any other requests/bugs?
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Jonathan

One that will look at a texture and work out where to put the paths automatically  :D

Thanks for all your latest changes :thumbsup:

Detect the entry and exits automatically when you create the path?
And a RHD <> LHD conversion (I'm not sure what that will take though?)

Oh, and support for stop points, if that's possible?

Thanks sooo much for this tool  :thumbsup:
Jonathan

SimFox

Daeley, thank you very much for pointing me to you wonderful toll and this thread.

I have one more question. Once I've created Paths with you tool, how do i actually make them into SC4Path file. I tried making text file out of it and import it into SC4Lot file as SC4Path file, but it doesn't seem to work - it stays a text file, doesn't get encoded...
I've used existing Path file from another Lot and simply replaced it content with one generated in Pathing Tool and then encoded it. this works, but I wonder if there is more straight forward way to do it.

Andreas

Quote from: SimFox on March 05, 2009, 04:45:38 PM
I've used existing Path file from another Lot and simply replaced it content with one generated in Pathing Tool and then encoded it. this works, but I wonder if there is more straight forward way to do it.

I don't know how others create their path files, but that's exactly the same method I use for making LTEXT files most times. The same goes for custom exemplar files and the like, so I would say it's the most straightforward method after all, as you just have to change the IDs and the (plain text) content, or certain properties.
Andreas

dedgren

I might have missed how to do it in the latest release, but the ability to rotate and flip textures would be wonderful.  With every change, Joris, this becomes more and more sophisticated- I'd say indispensable, too, but it's been indispensable from the get-go.

Oh, and SimFox- the "cut-and-paste" from another file method is the one I use, also.  It would be nice if the Reader allowed the creation from a menu of an "empty" SC4Path file, but that's just one more wish on the list.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Jonathan

QuoteOh, and SimFox- the "cut-and-paste" from another file method is the one I use, also.  It would be nice if the Reader allowed the creation from a menu of an "empty" SC4Path file, but that's just one more wish on the list.

Very Easy, use the attachment and put it in the templates folder where reader.exe is, replacing the template.xml file.
There are 2 path files, one for a model or lot, and one for a texture (they have different GIDs),
To use in the reader, right click and select import from template, then the 2 path files should be in the box that pops up, click ok and they're there.

David, in the download in Daeley's post below, the texture rotation button are in Options menu > Texture,
Maybe small buttons could be made between the 2 viewing things?

Jonathan

daeley

File at the link has been updated! [Click me]

minor upgrades since last downloadable version (from the top of my head)
- no longer starts a path as "path0" but as "car_0_2"
- keeps same path name when copying a path
- when doing a reverse/mirror/flip, will change the name of the path if it was named XXX_entry_exit_XXX (e.g. reversing a path called boat_1_3 will rename to boat_3_1)
- when changing traffic type, will change the name of the path accordingly (e.g. changing a path named car_0_2_a from car to sims, will rename it sim_0_2_a)
- added lots of nice icons everywhere, courtesy of famfamfam free icons (www.famfamfam.com > silk icons) makes the file size a bit bigger, but I think it's worth it - it's still < 1Mb.

can you check if the icons look ok? On my Win XP look&feel they look ok, they should look good on Mac and Win Vista as well, but I can't test that :p
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

daeley

more goodies coming :)

not too much functionality changes, but the GUI has been completely revamped. All components are moveable, resizeable and can be minimized. The buttons have been moved to a toolbar, which can also be dragged to the top, left or bottom of the screen. The program will remember your preferable configuration.

Once I got the last thing or two worked out, I'll post a version.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

dedgren

Joris- that is so great!  Just in time, too, for a new round of FAR/FARR/WC/Rural Roads puzzle pieces.

Two requests- 1) as 90 degree transpo network curves are not uncommon, would it be possible to do a "Rotate 90° Right" and "Rotate 90° Left" command?  In conjunction with the "Flip X-Y" these would make it very simple to path these symmetrical curves.

2) a bit ago, rotate and flip/mirror commands for textures were requested.  I actually thought you had noted that they were implemented in a later post, but I can't seem to find them.  If they are available, could you point me in their direction. please?  If not, they would also be great to have.

Thanks so much, my friend.  Those who came before and did all that pathing without this tool must be insanely jealous.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

daeley

Quote from: dedgren on March 27, 2009, 09:48:47 AM
Two requests- 1) as 90 degree transpo network curves are not uncommon, would it be possible to do a "Rotate 90° Right" and "Rotate 90° Left" command?  In conjunction with the "Flip X-Y" these would make it very simple to path these symmetrical curves.

well, with a mix of Flip, Mirror and Reverse, you should be able to rotate paths as well in any direction. But I can look into this.

Quote from: dedgren on March 27, 2009, 09:48:47 AM

2) a bit ago, rotate and flip/mirror commands for textures were requested.  I actually thought you had noted that they were implemented in a later post, but I can't seem to find them.  If they are available, could you point me in their direction. please?  If not, they would also be great to have.

They're in the Options > Texture submenu  :) Available from the latest download - not yet on LEX - link two posts above
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms