• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JMyers Rural Retreat and Small Shops

Started by jmyers2043, February 22, 2007, 06:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Air6

Excellent tutorial, very detailled. Thanks for your help.

jmyers2043

I've been doing some farms recently. I started the project the 2nd week in August. I only have three lots done. I know, sad  :D. But there's a lot of new stuff. And I now have three beta lots to show off. There's a fourth one in the works. The barn is done but I need to do a couple more outbuildings that match the barns theme. 

Here is Abram McNeil's Farm

the Enoch Whitton farm
<Beta lot rev 2>

and Bubba Washington's farm
<Beta Rev 2 >

<edit> I didn't realize I had the 'kite boy' on two of these farms. I'll find something else to take the spot.

They are all stage 3 farms with around 45 to 48 workers. The lot sizes are 5X6 +/- The farms have custom foundations so you'll not get that ugly Maxis brown foundation if you grow them on uneven terrain. A lot of custom content. Barns, smokehouses, chicken coops, tool sheds, double cribs, and Bubba's metal tractor shed. They all support the SimGoober corn crop.

<edit 2>
This is Dell Budden's farm. A 5X5 lot stage 3 with around 35 to 40 sims (forget how many).

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Girafe

Really good job in a field  :D where lot of progress could be done.

Lotting is nice, I think you will add small details after like chickens ^^ (Vnaoned did amazing chickens which will be released in the VIP Rural Pack :))

As Vester said, the only thing which came to my mind is a disharmony between the scales. We (Cédric above all) faced to this problem with all the props of the guinea fowls and uses Cogeo's tool for harmonising all the stuff. But I assume that in your case, you use different packs as dependencies and in this sense can't rework on them.

Is there smaller barns in this packs?

Anyway, keep going on this way  :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

zzsteven

I'm glad to see you're building more farms Jim.    :thumbsup: 

They look really good, just maybe rotate the clothes line 90 degrees in one of the farms. Bubba sure has a long way to walk to get wood during the winter, sure hope he dresses warm. :)

zz

bat

That are some beautiful farms! Great work on them.

Lowkee33

Quote from: jmyers2043 on September 24, 2011, 04:50:24 PM
<edit> I didn't realize I had the 'kite boy' on two of these farms. I'll findsomething else to take the spot.

You don't like kite boy?  Look at him, he's warn a spot in the lawn!  :D

I feel the area around the barns is too clean.  Maybe place some small weeds in key spots along the edge.

I also like the WIP props, can't wait to see another angle of that guy changing the tire on the trailer.

The scale doesn't seem off to me.  Those tractors need to get in the barn with space for repair, and then also the size of the combine, or the height of the plow blades when they are folded up.  There are also people for scale there, which appear to be 2 meters tall, and I believe a doorway twice as tall as me.

jmyers2043

Hi Lowkee

Quote from: Lowkee33 on September 26, 2011, 05:31:12 PM
... can't wait to see another angle of that guy changing the tire on the trailer...

I'm open to suggestions. Like digging fence post holes ... etc . . . Re: weeds against the building. I have a foible. And that is props that look the same from all four directions and never appear to be in the shade ( as in ) up against the side of the wall. Now give me a set of props shadowed from two directions (weeds, vines, stones, scrub brush) and I'm all in. 

- Jim

Jack_wilds

Hey there Jmeyers

I am really pleased that your back; creating some more farmland Americana. its just so refreshing, nostalgic but I don't miss all the chores I had to do  :D... as for 'chores snapshots' would be surrounding hay making -my cousin on deck, I'm driving ()stsfd() and then milking our 'breakfast' cow -Jersey Mae, outside the kitchen porch door...

a small side story: is that a "medical group" based in Washington DC nonprofit Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine {read medical lobbyists [front for vegans, animal rights groups $%#Ninj2]} is posting a billboard [its on I-hwy-41 near Lambeau Field] using a grim reaper wearing a cheesehead-hat [copyright infringement, they have since removed the hat] stating the evils of dairy and cheese... and get this, 'wonderful people who seem to want to mean well' are all from the east coast -DC,... there are doing this, to bring to everyone's attention that over one-third of Wisconsinites are over weight/ obese all due to too much cheese...  ???... Americans consuming dairy for a long time before these do-gooders came on the scene, [also Europeans consume more cheese than here, are they protesting dairy over there?]

I just don't understand the 'right' they think the have to tell us how to live... if it weren't for the 'backward' country folk they would starve [big city DC- NYC type folk]  Boy, I'm on a soap box or what  :satisfied:... you know what I think is, that they're riding on the Packers wave to get 'their message' out...

If this soapbox is out of order for your thread its ok to move it... so how about those Packers, huh?

Jack

madhatter106

Quote from: jmyers2043 on September 24, 2011, 04:50:24 PM
I've been doing some farms recently. I started the project the 2nd week in August. I only have three lots done. I know, sad  :D.

Nope, not sad at all.  In fact, given the fact that the last post here (until your update) was sometime in 2009, quite the opposite - happy happy happy!

The farms look great.  Beautifully textured as always.  And the little guy changing the tire is a fantastic detail.  Have you ever done a prop of a guy milking a cow?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Never keep up with the Joneses - drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

jmyers2043

Quote from: Girafe on September 25, 2011, 05:39:40 AM
... Is there smaller barns in this packs? ...

No. But the two dual cribs could be a small growable farm building set it on a 2X2 stage 1 farm lot.   :-\   I used the Google translate tool. English barn = Polish stodoła. I did find some inspiration for some stage 1 or 2 European themed farms. 

Quote from: madhatter106 on September 27, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
...   Have you ever done a prop of a guy milking a cow? ...

Hadn't thought of it. Not sure how it would work on the larger farms ... but a small homestead with a small corral of two or three cows? That might work. Thanks for the idea.

Quote from: Lowkee33 on September 26, 2011, 05:31:12 PM
... Maybe place some small weeds (or other things) in key spots along the edge. I also like the WIP props ...

&Thk/(   My minds eye sees a farmer doing some simple chores. Shoveling something, digging a hole, building a fence, off loading sacks from a wagon, fixing other farm stuff, carry some posts, or pushing bales of hay around.

Aaron Graham

Looks good, I can't wait to have your farms in my hand, I love how you have a man fixing the tire on that thing, i do not know what it's called right now. :P.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

peter007

Wow started moddeling detailed scenes again?
Lovely creations man!

-Ernst

dwelln8hss32

I agree with Lowkee. I think the barn scale is perfect. They're rather large in RL in comparison to houses. As for props, you could do a farmer fixing a combine or tractor. They're constantly tinkering with things. Fixing fences, mending chicken coops. Fixing pickup trucks. Pouring/augering grain from a silo!

Great work here, inspiring, and can't wait to see how this develops. Going off to start a new agricultural project myself!

~Jake
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

jmyers2043

I submitted the four farms in this post and the four farms in the above post to the LEX scrutineers this evening.

A total of eight new farm buidlings with foundations so they are slope friendly. Plus a Mega Pack of 18 or 20 outbuildings. There are small tool sheds, chicken coops, medium sized outbuildings, smoke houses, plus a number of work in progress props. Many of the small props will have a shaded side so it can be set against a building and look like it's in the shadow of a larger structure.

the Herb Bransfield farm

JR McKinley's place

Rachael Shauer lives here

the John Bruff Homestead

dwelln8hss32

Looks like a snap shot of real life, sir. Outstanding!  &apls  &apls Your details, props, placement, textures, and farm driveways are fun to look at, and really look like a lot of farms I've seen all over the midwest, US. I particularly appreciate the grain being augered at the silo  :thumbsup: Nice touch! The guys installing tin panels on the shed is also very cool. Everything's like what you'd see on any given day in the countryside. Scrutineers, enjoy these jewels, and I can't wait to use them!

Jake
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Gringamuyloca

^ ^

What he said!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Rachael Shauer's place looks like it could be an aerial view of the farm I worked on in my late teens, and brought back some really warm feelings!  ()stsfd()  &apls 

These will definitely take up space on my hard drive.  ;D
Tamara

noahclem

These look really outstanding  &apls  Really makes me look forward to creating a nice agricultural area in the not-too-distant future. &apls

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Jack_wilds

I enjoy these very much as they add such a variety of life to my country side 'cities'  :thumbsup: ... thanks for the update, -good to know your still around, making some more things to play with and hopefully they arrive on the 'lex' before my B-day  ::)...

thanks for sharing  :)

Badsim

BATs ,  props , LotEditing , everything  is wonderful !

&apls &apls &apls

Quote from: Gringamuyloca on January 27, 2012, 07:58:53 AM

These will definitely take up space on my hard drive.  ;D

On mine as well . :)

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °