• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JMyers Rural Retreat and Small Shops

Started by jmyers2043, February 22, 2007, 06:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_wilds

creative, imaginative, bats  :thumbsup: splendid places for a grilled cheese [grilled with a tomato & crispy bacon -yum] with a bowl of chili & coffee...  :)

madhatter106

Quote from: jmyers2043 on September 23, 2012, 07:41:38 PM
I did these diners about a year ago and put them into a folder. I've known they were there but lacked ambition to put them on some lots until this evening. Each sits on a 2x3 corner lot and a 2X2 lot. I need to add some variations to the 2X2 lots but they're just beta lots right now. They are stage 1 CS$ with 26 +/- jobs.

Franks Restaurant.

This one is straight out of my backyard.  I drive past this one everyday...was it an inspiration, or some weird strange coincidence?

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Never keep up with the Joneses - drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

jmyers2043

Quote from: madhatter106 on December 27, 2012, 04:32:38 PM
This one is straight out of my backyard.  I drive past this one everyday...was it an inspiration, or some weird strange coincidence?

It is not coincidence. I was doing image searches for diners. And found several pictures of Frank's. I used some artistic license, as you can tell, changing the facade to a more retro look. But the texture I used for the sign is perspective corrected from a real photo of the diner. Small world  :D   

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

dedgren

The Franks, Pedros and Johnnys of the restauranteur world everywhere raise their greasy spoons to you and speak as with one voice:

"We are not worthy, we are not worthy!"

Great work, Jim.  For the game that has everything... more everything.  And top quality, too.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Simcoug

These are great - I love small shops with big character.   :thumbsup:

jmyers2043

I am taking a break from rural play and I'm tinkering around with some of my larger cities. The light cream building on the left is a Bixel model that is a R$9 in my game. I made the stucco building to the right to add some variety because the Bixel building was growing frequently. 

I put my condo on the private LEX for scrutiny this evening. There are currently three items on the private LEX ahead of me. Coming soon to your city? 

This is the stage 7 version, growing in a downtown district. Unfortunately, the brownish version grew in the best locations for screen grabbing. The other colors did not, being partially hidden. 

- Jim

Simcoug

That tower compliments Bixel's model well - you are a man of many talents  :thumbsup:

I remember seeing some rural mining BATs a while back that you were working on - were any of those by chance in the release queue?  ;D

jmyers2043

This is an old model but I've enlarged the building and added some additional detailing. Then an Alpha lot. Deciding that I needed to make some props and a few overlay textures.

I spent 7 evenings and the most of a Sunday working on this loader. I want to push coal around or load coal into trucks. But I got a bit burned with gmax afterwards.

Then I had some health problems in early January and then my brother passed away late January. That put me into a mood and I put SimCity down for a while. Picking it up again a couple weeks ago. Deciding to do something different (large CAM cities). It was a good exercise. I was doing something different and got enthusiastic again.

Kind of a long answer to the question. Interestingly, you are the second person who has asked me about the mining project. I'll will complete it. Promise. But my minds eye sees one more residential tower before I get back to rural play and the mining project.

- Jim

Swordmaster

Something very painful going on with that railroad Jim  :D

Nice caterpillar, and a good way to spend some evenings. I like the tower as well, looks like it could fit several tilesets.

Hope your health is better and condolences for your brother as well. SC is a good way to improve one's mood.

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, Jim. 
It's always exciting to see new projects from you, whether rural or high-rises, so keep doing what you enjoy. 

Jack_wilds

luv the new teasers  :thumbsup:

I hope the coal distribution thing will also be uploaded... and I also hope for the houses you are working on to eventually show up too... ;)

luv your modelling work, it adds so much life to my cities...  well done  :)

extending a belated condolences concerning family loss...  :(

mattb325

I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Jim. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

FrankU

Hi Jim,

I never have seen my name in such large lettters on a building. It will be a nice touch in my cities. Thanks for that.
The mining project and the residentials look good too.
I am sincererly sorry to hear about the passing away of your brother. My condoleances.

Frank

khendricks456

I recently downloaded and installed the Small Shops Pack 6 (Frank, Pedro and Johnny Diners). I'm seeing the "Water Graphic Bug" with all three shops. Whenever I go to the underground view and return, the base textures of these lots disappears. Can you take a look at these and fix if possible? Thanks...

threestooges

The water bug is a side effect of a lot not having a base texture. When you come out of the underground view, go to the zoning overlay of the graphs, then turn it off again and it should fix it.

khendricks456

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately, what you suggest only works until you go to underground view again. What I'm after is a permanent fix like adding in the missing base textures. I've been working with the PIM-X tool and have managed to put in some textures that seem to have fixed the problem. I wanted to let JMyers know there was a problem in case he wanted to fix it.