• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sithlrd98 Mods and stuff

Started by sithlrd98, September 18, 2008, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

Quote from: vortext on July 12, 2012, 02:20:35 PM
Though I'm not familiar with BATting, I'm somewhat familiar with T21 modding and had a look at the original mod.

From what I see, the props are simple S3D models with just three textures assigned to it. So maybe you could skip the entire gmax process and instead copy the S3D models, paste it into a new .dat file and give it a new ID. Next under the 'mats' tab assign new textures.

Not sure if this will work but it's how I've turned textures to props in the past.

I have broken down the original mod to see what each piece did. In doing so,I am under the impression that the "Wealth textures" are S3D flat models that reference the game driven sidewalk wealth textures ,(Dirt,White,Pink, Grey) via corresponding IID's along with a masked overlay attached and triggered by a T-21 exemplar. By doing this, I could easily do a "Blocky"NWM curves mod.

The best part of how the mod was created however was the inclusion of the WRC/FAR pieces with their own models that resemble the full NAM models but in the general 0x000X0000-000XX430 S3D models (Instead of the usual 0x5XXXX005 NAM models) attached to the previous flat plane Wealth models via T-21. This allows the combined models to have their sidewalks "Curve the Curve" on the Road S curve,Small and large 90,etc,etc,etc , like I showed in a previous image.
Basically,in a nutshell...the geometric setup of the Road/Ave WRC's don't match up with the NWM curves,thus without the NWM curves S3D's, the best I could do is a "Blocky" sidewalk mod ....
or a visually appealing curved sidewalk Curve that would only have ONE exemplar from the NWM curve as a trigger ,IE 0x51344000 would trigger the curved sidewalk,not 0x51314010..etc,etc.
All of my tests have been on the TLA small curve only, but have noticed referencing all exemplars included in that piece makes the sidewalk all out of shape when a lot is plopped near as a wealth trigger, but only one gives it the Curved curve.

Does this all make sense now..cause I need some aspirin! Hahaha :D

Jayson

gn_leugim

well I think we can live with blocky sdewalks XD

also, I have that mod, and as I recall, he may show up not just the sidewalks, but also grass textures for lower densities. a blocky grass ain't that bad I think.

sithlrd98

I originally planned to just show that the NWM curves could be sidewalked via T-21, like the Original mod..then say that after racking my brain, trying different things,then picking the brains of some much smarter modders  than I and probably confusing them with my borderline noobish modeling/modding skills, blocky was going to have to do...

BUT THEN I got a huge bit of good news ,a picture,and an example .dat from Blue Lightning....The NWM can have curved sidewalks afterall!

Jayson

noahclem

Exciting news! This project will make a huge difference in the way my cities look  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

sithlrd98

I have made props corresponding to the wealths of the TLA,ARD-3 and Ave2 pieces and am trying to work out the T-21,but due to how I made these I don't think I'm gonna find the sweet spot with locating where these are supposed to show up. This is very upsetting! I have tried every trick I know,but as you can see...

Just not working  :(

Think It's beyond me

Jayson

gn_leugim

it's sad. I wish I could help out, but it is even more beyond me =\

TheOtherRick

Unless I am mistaken, NAM 31.2 has been released since the last post on this thread. I want to install the NO Grass Mod, and the Read Me states that I need to place Swamper's mods in the SimCity4/Plugins/Network Addon Mod/Plugins folder. The latest version of the NAM does not have a folder titled "Plugins". Could you please direct me to the correct installation of the NO Grass Mod?

Dublin

Make one called plugins, it's that easy. It most likely will work even just placed in the nam folder randomly.
Where ever you go, there you are.

TheOtherRick

Thanks Dublin. I'll give that a go and see if it works.

TheOtherRick

The NO Grass mod still does not work at all, but I can live with the grass I guess. However, the Sandstone Avenue Curves and Sandstone Road Curves mods do not work either. The ReadMe for the Avenue Curves states that I need to double-click the Installer file for installation. No "installer file" came with the .zip file. The ReadMe also gave the destination for the .dat file, so I manually placed it there. The mod does nothing. The same is true for the Road Curves.

Did the new NAM mess with these mods? If not, then can someone point me to a way to make these work?

If further information is required, I am happy to provide it. I have very few other mods and lots installed, so the probability of a conflict is minimal. I would really appreciate any help that is available.

vortext

Works fine for me with the latest NAM. Now would be the time for the 'z_folder' trick. ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

TheOtherRick

Quote from: vortext on August 28, 2013, 02:40:35 PM
Works fine for me with the latest NAM. Now would be the time for the 'z_folder' trick. ;)

Thanks for the reply vortext. I'll try that. Just to be clear, are we talking about placing a folder called (for example) z_SandstoneSidewalks in the Network Addon Mod (NAM) folder, or just straight in my plugins? And then in that folder, I would put the two curve mods and perhaps the SMP Sandstone Sidewalks that covers the rest of my sidewalks.

vortext

Quote from: TheOtherRick on August 28, 2013, 03:06:28 PM
Just to be clear, are we talking about placing a folder called (for example) z_SandstoneSidewalks in the Network Addon Mod (NAM) folder, or just straight in my plugins?

The latter.
time flies like a bird

TheOtherRick

Quote from: vortext on August 28, 2013, 03:14:10 PM

The latter.

Thanks again vortext. Okay...done. Now here is what I have...Working on roads and avenues, but not streets...

AND...Now my Swamper-PEG No Rail Dirt mod has glitched (see below)...

Any suggestions?

vortext

Quote from: TheOtherRick on August 28, 2013, 03:30:30 PM
Now here is what I have...Working on roads and avenues, but not streets...

That's because curved streets weren't invented yet when this mod was released. In addition to the puzzle pieces, however, the latest NAM also contains draggable street curves which actually do show proper sidewalks!  ;)

Quote from: TheOtherRick on August 28, 2013, 03:30:30 PM
AND...Now my Swamper-PEG No Rail Dirt mod has glitched (see below)...
Any suggestions?

You may have to play around with the order of individual files too. e.g. prefix 'z_' to the no gras file and check ingame if it works as desired. Bit of trail and error will be involved here.
time flies like a bird

TheOtherRick

Thanks once again vortext. Trial and error worked (re: No Rail Dirt) without too many errors! :P The draggable street curves I didn't know about. I have read up on them in the NAM Manual and tried out a few. A little tricky at first, but getting the hang of it...and the sidewalks look good. It's been so long since I played, the new NAM is making me feel like a noob all over again! I appreciate your help.  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

we have to keep in mind that with the advent of draggable curves and so, most of this stuff is outdated. ofc there are still some pieces that are not draggable, like viaducts (as for the public) TULEPS and so on, but regarding curves, most of them are covered, even FAR pieces can now be laid out with the normal road tool and have wealth textures.

vortext

Good point. I'd reckon only the 90 degree avenue curve needs an external sidewalk mod, the rest of the curves are covered with the latest NAM. Though on the other hand I can also imagine a wide curve with just the sidewalk looks better in certain situations (e.g. continuous pavement in CBD instead of wealth grass) so this mod may still prove itself useful in that regard.
time flies like a bird