• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bobbo662

Started by Bobbo, March 01, 2007, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

Quote from: Bobbo on October 23, 2007, 12:10:28 AM
Just a short note, I finished with the Lowe's Warehouse, and the Dist. Center.

I am expecting them in an e-mail, Bobbo! ::) :thumbsup:

Bobbo

I went back and retextured some of my old BATs - and had finished up with Sam's Club.  Here's a renderd pix of Sam's Club

And of thinking of releasing Wal-Mart Supercenter that I had especially BATted for a friend of mine back over at Simtropolis, but never released it.  Here's ingame pix of Wal-Mart Supercenter....

rooker1

Both the Sam's Club and the Wal Mart are superbly done and worth uploading.

&apls &apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

jmyers2043

I really like the corrugated roof. A jnice Paint Shop job! You may want to revisit the soda machines. My eye seems to say that they are too tall when compared to the front entrance or that the front entrance dooways need to be stretched up.

Question. Do you use the JBM Sims Ruler?

Click Here

I start out every bat by making a 1X1X4 box that is the same height as the in game people. And I base door sizes and window heights accordingly. Starting out with a 'ruler' usually lets me get things very close with only minor scale adjustments needed in the end.

:)

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Bobbo

Quote from: jmyers2043 on October 24, 2007, 10:04:01 AM
I really like the corrugated roof. A jnice Paint Shop job! You may want to revisit the soda machines. My eye seems to say that they are too tall when compared to the front entrance or that the front entrance dooways need to be stretched up.

Question. Do you use the JBM Sims Ruler?

Click Here

I start out every bat by making a 1X1X4 box that is the same height as the in game people. And I base door sizes and window heights accordingly. Starting out with a 'ruler' usually lets me get things very close with only minor scale adjustments needed in the end.

:)

Thanks Jim - I never notice JBMs Ruler before - hopefully this will help me out  ;)

Pat

Oooh Bobbie i hope you do release those bad boys.... they are sweet and i still play with all the stuff you gave me to test...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tkirch

You do some great work and hope you release them.  I have all of your gas stations and use them all the time

BigSlark

Bob,

Great Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. I am unable to tell what the far right Wal-Mart entrance servers, could you enlighten us?

Also, if you're feeling up for some different looking "big box" stores, the nearby wealthy suburb of Madison, Mississippi has strict architectual laws which has resulted in some interesting results. For example, Lowe's features Doric columns, Home Depot is reminiscent of a castle, and there's more than one gas station canopy that reminds me of a Victorian train shed. If you'd like some photos let me know.

Cheers,
Kevin

Bobbo

Quote from: BigSlark on October 24, 2007, 03:35:31 PM
Bob,

Great Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. I am unable to tell what the far right Wal-Mart entrance servers, could you enlighten us?

Also, if you're feeling up for some different looking "big box" stores, the nearby wealthy suburb of Madison, Mississippi has strict architectual laws which has resulted in some interesting results. For example, Lowe's features Doric columns, Home Depot is reminiscent of a castle, and there's more than one gas station canopy that reminds me of a Victorian train shed. If you'd like some photos let me know.

Cheers,
Kevin

Thank you Pat, Tkirch,and BigSlark -

BigSlark, this Wal-Mart is supposibly be the biggest SuperCenter in the USA - it's based some place in Florida, (I forget where) -but I've got real pix that I will post of this store.
The entrances are from your right to left, are  Liquior Store (Wal-Mart's Liquior Store) - Main entrance, and then the Grocery Entrance, and then finally the Garden Center entrance.  And then next to the garden center is the Car Care Center.

Edit - Sorry BigSlark, I forgot to say "Yes" to your offer with the pictures - if you have time - I would be interested!   ;)

Zaphod

A wally world liquor store?

Perhaps the part of unique size is a result of local liquor laws which require a seperate store?
War Kittens !?

cammo2003

Something about that WalMart supercenter doesn't sit right with me -- the walls. They look, I hate to say it, but *fake*.

I know I'm being harsh, but the texture just doesn't work to my eyes. The roof looks fine, if a bit plain, but the walls don't look right. Perhaps a brick texture?

Or haven't you textured the walls yet?

On the other hand, the lot's fabulous. Don't change that too much, I'm glad to see somebody's FINALLY using the WalkingSnake textures (which are, to my eyes, the best parking lot textures available to us. The brick colour's not what I would have expected, but it works well with the building, so I'd keep it.

I really like the canopy above the main entrance BTW. it looks great.

Bobbo

Quote from: cammo2003 on October 25, 2007, 04:10:04 AM
Something about that WalMart supercenter doesn't sit right with me -- the walls. They look, I hate to say it, but *fake*.

I know I'm being harsh, but the texture just doesn't work to my eyes. The roof looks fine, if a bit plain, but the walls don't look right. Perhaps a brick texture?

Or haven't you textured the walls yet?

On the other hand, the lot's fabulous. Don't change that too much, I'm glad to see somebody's FINALLY using the WalkingSnake textures (which are, to my eyes, the best parking lot textures available to us. The brick colour's not what I would have expected, but it works well with the building, so I'd keep it.

I really like the canopy above the main entrance BTW. it looks great.

Nah, you're comment wasn't harsh  ;)

Maybe from the distance, which is not a close up shot of the building, may not look like brick, but it is brick ... I guess I should get a closer shot of the building.

::)

Here are some real life shots of this Supercenter Wal-Mart in Florida ...

The Liquor entrance ....

Here are closer shots of the building in the game - now, my video card isn't that great and looks kinda distorted with a close up shot - but it is brick texture.

Pat

Hey bobbie is that still the same wally world you sent me some time ago?? if it is i will show close ups, heck ill be back and still show close ups lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

That's the thing about it, cammo2003. All new buildings look "fake" to me in real life. They're just too perfect, if that makes any sense. I live in an 80-year old wood frame home that has more character and quirky features to it than an entire subdivisions of McMansions. To me, my house's asbestos  siding and old oak floors are where its at while to others the clean lines of a brand-new brick home that features deep pile carpet and Mexican tile is their idea of heaven.

So, with no offense to Bobbo intended, his modern big-box stores look fake to me as well-but in the best, most realistic way possible. I applaud him for his great work.

I suppose its all about our own aesthetics, eh?

Cheers,
Kevin

sc4luv2

I got a suggestion on the Sams Club. Uses the new logo. Not the old. Just wanted to drop by and say that.

Thanks,
sc4luv2
[

cammo2003

Quote from: BigSlark on October 25, 2007, 05:07:54 PM
That's the thing about it, cammo2003. All new buildings look "fake" to me in real life. They're just too perfect, if that makes any sense. I live in an 80-year old wood frame home that has more character and quirky features to it than an entire subdivisions of McMansions. To me, my house's asbestos  siding and old oak floors are where its at while to others the clean lines of a brand-new brick home that features deep pile carpet and Mexican tile is their idea of heaven.

Can't say I'll argue with you there... Moreover modern materials are pathetic at insulation. This place roasts in summer and is a bit too much on the cool side in winter. To boot, sound travels through the walls as though they were paper.

I hate suburban sprawl with a passion. Not only is it insidious, it's bad planning, and it has no future to boot (watch cities shrink as oil supplies start falling. It won't take long for the house of cards that is the American/Australian dream to collapse. But I'm getting off topic here, let's save that for another thread...  :D

Having said all that, bobbo, have you tried using the brick texture you used on the Lowe's? I think it might work better (and it looks reasonably close to the real walls)... Though I'd leave the trim areas as the same texture (as they're painted IRL).

A third option might be to make some bricks darker in the texture.

At least the supermarkets here don't try to fake good architecture. It invariably fails when you try to do so. You don't make good structures by taking shortcuts.

Chrisadams3997

I'll second cammo's setiments about the brick texture.  I think it could use some more variation basically in the darkness of the bricks, such as in the RL pictures.

At any rate, these are all looking great, and I can't wait to see them released.

Chris

Bobbo

Today I started reworking on my Red Roof Inn - retexturing the buildings I did over a yr ago, and had posted on STEX - which is no longer there.  There are 3 units.
Reception building, the larger room unit, and the smaller room unit.  Here's what I've done today, it's the smaller unit.

If you would like to leave any comments or suggestions - please do so.  Thanks, and to my American friends Happy Thanksgiving

RippleJet

This one looks a lot better than the original white ones! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to seeing all three of them retextured and sent to me! ::)

Krio

Excellent work my friend!
&apls &apls