• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

new tool to support the Regional Tracking Mod

Started by daeley, March 08, 2007, 03:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daeley

working on a new tool to view the data gathered by the Regional Tracking Mod

you can view info on each city individually or per region... final version coming soon ;-)
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Rayden

Nice and interesting tool. I'm sure it will be very useful, at least to me ;) I'm always trying to control the balance between the population and the available jobs for each wealth group. It will be good to avoid those hatefull brown briefcase zots  ;D

joelevan

Does this only work with BTE lots or does it do some kind of magic and pull everything?

Joel

daeley

farms, as noted, work only for 17 types of BTE fields
population works with the general population numbers, so it's not related to BTE
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

bat

daeley

I've added a button to take quick'n dirty screenshots, easy for CJ's or general showing off... generates <30kb .png images looking like this:

with filename <city/region name>.<category>.png, for example CivicVille.population.png or Shozalosa.farmland.png

nearing the final version... expect this on LEX soon
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Travis

Awesome!

You've got a cool tool there. Will be very useful for me. Usually I have to add the numbers up on a calculator.
Looks like those days are over! I can't wait for the release.  :thumbsup:

daeley

1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

meldolion

Hi Daeley,
first of all thanks for the tool!!!
I'Ve a problem running it tough,
when I launch the bat file gives me the following error:
D:\tmp\RTMViewer>java -cp . view.ViewerFrame
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at view.ViewerFrame.<init>(ViewerFrame.java:90)
        at view.ViewerFrame.main(ViewerFrame.java:357)
Caused by: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
        at data.Region.updatePop(Region.java:117)
        at data.Region.parsePop(Region.java:55)
        at data.Parser.<init>(Parser.java:74)
        at data.Parser.<clinit>(Parser.java:33)
        ... 2 more

Ive Sc4 Delux version and my Java is
D:\tmp\RTMViewer>java -version
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode)

thanks
Luca

daeley

thanks... your java version isn't the problem... seems I left in a divison by zero error for regions with 0 residential population :shame:

I'll have it fixed right away...

update: fixed! thanks again for the bug report :)
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Rayden

I'm having a problem. I double click the .bat file and this screen pops up and disappears without happening anything else. I managed to get a print shot of it, and it looks like it doesn't find a file called popfile.dat

Is it my bad or something else?

I've looked for that file through my hard drive and SC4 CD and, nothing. &mmm

EDIT: Forget it, my bad, didn't read carefully the text at the download place. I didn't had the RTM modd installed. Maybe you could add a readme file to the file itself. That was the first place I looked for help. ;)

Rayden

Well, now I just need to gather some info, the window still comes empty. Do I have to open all the cities on my region or just the ones with population? Also, when opening, do I have to save or it's just enough to open and leave without saving?

daeley

yes... the RTM works as follows: when you open a city, there will be a popup asking you to activate tracking for this city. If you accept, the city become tracked and the city's data is saved to a tracker file.

When you open the RTM viewer, it looks for this tracker file and reads all the data inside. So unfortunatly, if you have a big region, you'll have to pass by every city and accept tracking at least once before they can be viewed in the RTM viewer.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Rayden

I think I have the popup option deactivated, coz I haven't seen yet any popup asking for that tracking. &mmm I'll checkt that up later when I get home.

bat

daeley

Rayden... what OS are you on? windows or mac? also, are you using a custom shortcut on your desktop to start the game or the one that came with the game? If you're using a custom one, try starting the game through start > all programs > maxis > simcity 4
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Rayden

Quote from: daeley on March 15, 2007, 03:41:52 PM
Rayden... what OS are you on? windows or mac? also, are you using a custom shortcut on your desktop to start the game or the one that came with the game? If you're using a custom one, try starting the game through start > all programs > maxis > simcity 4
Thanks Daeley, but it's working now. On the game setup, I had all pop ups deactivated, so, to accept that reports message I had to go to the messages window and click on those tracking lines.
Thanks, it's a wonderfull tool, and I'll be using on my MD, for sure. :)

daeley

ah, so it was working... phew :satisfied:

another happy customer... woopee  ()stsfd()
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

GMT

found it.

well, awesome tool, well done work.
BUT:

It's not really working... at least not for me.
I mean, handling is easy and smooth, layout works and all that, but the region's figures are... well, wrong.

I've adjusted the path to my sc4 folder (as it should be) but it's only showing 1 region (though there're more)
and the figures don't match at all.

it gives me a ~386k population though the current pop is slightly more than 1 million
it gives me a ~130k commercial jobs (all together), but it's at about 906k
and it gives me a ~236k industrial jobs although there about twice as much (430k)

further, it only shows me only 19 cities in the region, although there're WAY more (248, 56 developped)

here two screens I took, one of the RTM tool, and one of the Region Census tool, to show the difference in figures looking at the same region, because the ones of the RC are more likely to match):

the current figures shown in RC

and the faulty figures shown in RTM tool (also, pay notice to the difference between the slidebars for the region's cities)

I hope you can fix this error somehow.
btw: I'd like to suggest an additional feature of taking regional screenshots (if possible)

... really, it is. I swear.