• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s mapping adventures

Started by c.p., February 10, 2009, 11:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: c.p.deathtopumpkins: make sure you have Wouanagaine's recent SC4Mapper patch installed (there is a link to it in the first post.)
So these maps MUST be installed using SC4Mapper? I've done all the others (except Prineville) with Terraformer with no problems.

Oh, and the Canyonlands map is insane!  :o Must develop...  :D
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Ennedi

Quote from: c.p. on February 14, 2009, 12:47:36 PM

Sequoia Point: (based on an area near Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park, California) - 5.5 x 5 large cities:
Warning: The mountains on this map are extremely large.  If you decide to use this map, you will need to be careful when choosing terrain mods.  The maximum elevtion on this map is 4199m.  Many terrain mods will not allow terrain this high.  The only terrain mods I know of that will work with this map without modification are: Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Painted Desert and Heblem's terrain mods (available on the STEX).
If you want to use one of my other terrain mods with this map, you can open the "CPT_No6..." file in the ilive reader.  Find the "Terrain Properties" exemplar and edit the "MaxTerrainHeight" property to a number greater than 4200.  Eventually I'll be updating all my terrain mods, and will try to include a "higher snow" option that will work with this map.

Brian,
I have released the "High Altitude Patch" for all your terrain modsfor all existing terrain mods and Maxis default terrain  :). It increases the MaxTerrain Height property value to 5000 m.
I made this patch following Emilin's request when he released his "14 Summits" Himalaya maps pack, but I said in the readme that it can be (of course) used to every map with high mountains which doesn't exceed 5000 m. I also tried to explain why it is important  :).

Great new maps, I go to download them  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

papab2000

CP,

Great job on all your maps. They all look great.  :thumbsup:

Rich

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

c.p.

Deathtopumpkins: Hmm, I just tried importing Hillsmere Shores in Terraformer and it worked fine for me.  Were you using the config.bmp that came with it?

Adam: Thanks! :thumbsup: I updated the description to point to your patch.

Rich:  Thanks for stopping by, and glad you like the maps. :)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: c.p. on February 14, 2009, 06:17:41 PM
Deathtopumpkins: Hmm, I just tried importing Hillsmere Shores in Terraformer and it worked fine for me.  Were you using the config.bmp that came with it?

No, I made a new one... but I think I know what I did wrong... yep, I missed a spot on it.  ::) I'll try again.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

pvarcoe

Yes, thanks for the heads up on the high altitude patch.
I remembered it existed, but this saves me having to look for it.
I am looking forward to trying out Sequoia Point.
It looks like my kind of terrain.

Now which terrain, rock, beach, water, and tree mods to use.
Hmmmm :)

Simpson

Fantastic work on these maps c.p. they look so réalistic  &apls &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Pat

CP looking real great here!!! WOW!!!  One thing I think was funnie is I had to calm down Troy as he was throwing a fit trying to figure out who this guy was all the sudden releasing maps on the LEX lol.... After I pointed it out the fact that you gave us such wonderful terrain mods and trees and various other items he was like oooh now I remember lol.... Just a funnie story to share with ya's...

Also just a question would you be able to make a map that would cater to TPW or PW?

thanks,

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

c.p.

deathtopumpkins: glad you figured it out :thumbsup:

pvarcoe: good luck with Sequoia Point.  There are a few flattish spots near the tops of the mountains I thought would make an interesting challenge to connect (via road, etc.) to the flat areas at the bottom.

Simpson: Thanks. :)

Pat: Yeah, I've changed my name a lot.  I can see how that might be confusing. ??? What are "TPW" and "PW"?

Pack 5  (get it here)

Pt Reyes: (RL map of Pt. Reyes, California) - 6.5 x 7.5 large cities:

Silver Bow: (based on southern Silver Bow County, Montana) - 6x9 large cities:

March 19, 2019: I updated CP Map Pack 5 today with up-to-date .SC4M files (more compatible with SC4 Mapper 2013).  I also included a topographic map for both regions, for printing out or whatever.

Pt Reyes:

Silver Bow:

Pat

ahh thats right CP I forgotten you been somewhat out of the loop a bit my bad, TPW = Transparent Ploppable Water and PW = Ploppable Water

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Heblem

Excellent work! I do really like the 6th picture, great rock mod and coast line!  :thumbsup:

wes.janson

I just wanted to stop in and voice my amazement.

I was compelled to start a new region when I laid my eyes upon Nashville Shores.  :thumbsup:

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Simpson

Incredible pack 5, my friend, this is really good. Nice work on these maps  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Rayden

The best pack IMO  :thumbsup: And I love your Pt.Reyes, I couldn't not reproduce the water bodies and the lower parts of the coast as good as you did on my version ;)
And Silver Bow is a must have map too, very nice map to build. If we ever do another Shosaloza, I would pick this Silver Bow map to be the one. &apls

c.p.

Pat: ah, OK.  I've heard of the transparent ploppable water (I've even used it.)  I didn't realize it had been acronymized, though. ::)
So what would make a map TPW-friendly?  Flattening certain areas of it? ()what()
I probably won't be making any maps in the near future, but I'm sure I'll make more eventually.  If I find out what needs to be done to achieve TPW-friendliness, I'll try to keep it in mind for my next map-making binge.

Heblem: Thanks.  The rock mod is one of dogfight's.  (I've been using his rock mods a lot lately).

wes.janson: Thanks.  That one seems to be pretty popular.

Simpson: Thanks

Silvio: Thanks.  I don't know which data you used to make your version, but the 1/3 arc-second DEM data is well worth the extra download time (even on dialup), if you are looking to make more maps in the future.

Pat

Hey CP to have a TPW or even PW friendly map I guess it would be along the lines of like say the latest map you did of Silver Bow with the stream running threw it would be more or less a dry bed... You pretty much kept the stream within the boundries of the tile so that is darn near perfect!!!  Would it be to hard to modify that map to be all large tiles?  I would love to try it out that way...

jkon

Hello C.P.
            All these recent maps you've released look smashing.I am particularly interested in using the capitol river map and was wondering which terrain mods you used.i'd like to mimic that look exactly.Great work,Thanks.
Beyond every Belief
There is a Reality
Beyond Reality there is only
The Imagination.

c.p.

Pat: I attached a file containing a new config.bmp for Silver Bow.
I don't want to upload a second version of the same map to the LEX, just for a different configuration, so instead I wrote some instructions to import the existing map (i.e. the one in Map Pack 5) into the game, using the attached configuration file (which will change it to all large cities).

1. Unzip the attached file folder.  It doesn't matter where you unzip it to, so long as you can find it again later.

2. Download Map Pack 5, and double-click the installer file for the Silver Bow region.  By default, the installation program creates a new folder in your Regions folder named "SilverBow".

3. Start SC4Mapper.  Click the "Create Region" button, then SC4M.

4. Navigate to the My Documents\Sim City\Regions\SilverBow folder and choose the file ending in ".SC4M" that is located there, and then "Open".  It may take a few minutes.

5. After the region terrain appears in the SC4Mapper window, choose "Save Region" and give it a bogus name, such as "DELETE Silver Bow".

6. Hit the "Load Region" button, and choose the folder for the bogus region you just saved.

7. When it is done loading, hit the "Export Region" button.

8. In the dialog box that pops up, change the Save as type: to *.png.

9. When, it's done, hit the "Create Region" button, then, on the dialog that pops up hit "16 bit png".

10. In the dialog, where is says "Filename:" find the .png file you just saved.  Where it says "config.bmp", find the config.bmp file you unzipped from the attached file in step one.  Then hit "OK".

11. Hit "Save Region".  Give it a name and hit ok.  When it is finished, your region should be ready to use.

12. In your Regions folder, delete the folder for the bogus region you saved in step 5.

jkon: Thanks.  That map uses Dogfight's DarkIgneous rock mod, the LittleMissouri water mod (which I believe is included in my Grand Canyon and/or Canyonlands terrain mods.  Unfortunately, the actual terrain mod I used on that map is one that is still in development (Sage Hills), so it's not available yet.  The closest mods to that I can think of would be my Missouri Breaks terrain mod, or maybe some of Heblem's terrain mods, on the STEX at Simtropolis.

Pat

Thank you soo much there CP for the all Large and check out Waterfalls soon featuring Silver Bow as the new Map I am going to work with  ;)

art128

Hey C.p. these maps are really awesome ! I really love the shoreline of the first and the creeks !  &apls
The second one looks good too even more with this terrain mod. :thumbsup:
I think I will use one of theme, or... maybe.... the two !  &apls &apls

Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog