• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s mapping adventures

Started by c.p., February 10, 2009, 11:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

c.p., you mind if I post here with a terrain mod question? I can delete it if you have a thread for that, I just haven't seen it.

I went to install a rock mod the other day and can't get it to work. It still just displays the greyish texture that came with your Meadowshire Terrain Mod. Which files must I replace? I thought I had done the right ones...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Rayden

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 19, 2009, 01:35:23 PM
c.p., you mind if I post here with a terrain mod question? I can delete it if you have a thread for that, I just haven't seen it.

I went to install a rock mod the other day and can't get it to work. It still just displays the greyish texture that came with your Meadowshire Terrain Mod. Which files must I replace? I thought I had done the right ones...

You don't have to replace any file, just make sure your rock mod loads after the meadowshire terrain mod. Place a z_ in front of the name to make it load last.

deathtopumpkins

Thanks, I'll try that. Still kinda new to the world of terrain and rock mods...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

alexr19

I really wanted to use these maps, but I'm not going through the hassle of dealing with SC4 Mapper.  $%Grinno$%

BarbyW

Quote from: alexr19 on February 21, 2009, 09:47:19 AM
I really wanted to use these maps, but I'm not going through the hassle of dealing with SC4 Mapper.  $%Grinno$%

Why not? It is an excellent program that makes installing maps very easy.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Pat

You can also use SC4 Terraformer it will also import a sc4m file... I did it just fine after a little bit....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

alexr19

Quote from: BarbyW on February 21, 2009, 12:49:12 PM
Why not? It is an excellent program that makes installing maps very easy.

it doesn't get along with Vista.

BarbyW

SC4Mapper does work under Vista and was actually written on a laptop with Vista. Read some of the solutions here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3458.0
but be aware that as the laptop with the source code was stolen it is highly unlikely that the application will be updated or rewritten.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

alexr19

Great! Thanks for the tip, BarbyW. I had downloaded SC4M but it didn't work, and it took me a few tries, but I got SC4T working.  &idea

CP, I noticed you said you weren't going to be making more maps in the near future. Does this mean you're going to make some more fantastic houses?  ;D

Oh, and how do I see snow? I have the Italia Terrain Mod installed and I thought snow was automatic...I even used the Lower Snow patch but that didn't do anything. There only seems to be one tiny patch of snow on a mountainside.  ()what()

Kumba

Hello,

I downloaded your Map pack 5, and I was wondering how you added all those tree and made it match the borders between regions, is there a program to add trees out of the game? It sure would save a lot of time.

Thanks.
______ F L Y  S C A G J E T S ______
The Most Reliable, Helpful, Diverse SimCity Aerospace Group LOTs BATs and MODs

c.p.

Well, it's been awhile since my last visit here.  For the Thanksgiving holiday, I had hoped to finish this map of Plymouth (where the "first Thanksgiving" is said to have been held in 1621).  But . . . well, you know how it goes.  So much to do, so little time. ::) So, instead, I thought I'd at least show some in-progress pictures of the map.  It is mostly a real-life map, but the large lake is fictional.  (I think it makes the map more interesting.)  And I'll probably add some other lakes as well.

As you can see in the following pictures, I started deepening the ocean (I'm using terraformer for that), but obviously I have a lot more work to do, deepening the harbors, smoothing out the edges of the little creeks, etc.

My goal with this map, and a few others I am making, is to build a small collection of maps with nice marsh/swamp areas suitable for a new set of tree controllers I've been working on, some of which which will plant marshes or swamps below a certain elevation (maybe 3m or 4m).  So I'll be spending some time to get the marshes to look nice on this map, before I upload it to the LEX.

The DEM data available in this area is pretty decent quality.  The marsh creeks in the following picture are straight from the DEM data, and already look pretty good:

This marsh came out a little rougher, and will require a lot more work (on my part) to smooth out all the little creeks and islands:

And here is an overview of the map (so far).
Apparently, the first Thanksgiving took place west of the large harbor in the southern half of the map:

art128

Nice to see you back a little, C.P. ! Fine map you're making there.

Looking forward to some progress on the marshes. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Great to see you around again. Thoroughly enjoying your seasonal flora. Also a very nice map you're making.   :thumbsup:

Quote from: c.p. on November 22, 2012, 01:35:22 PM
[..] a new set of tree controllers I've been working on, some of which which will plant marshes or swamps below a certain elevation (maybe 3m or 4m).

Would that be with the waterflora property? If so, I can only get flora into the water a little bit and only if the water is shallow enough. Perhaps you know another trick?!

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

c.p.

Thanks art128 and vortext :)
Quote from: vortext on November 22, 2012, 02:17:33 PM
Would that be with the waterflora property? If so, I can only get flora into the water a little bit and only if the water is shallow enough. Perhaps you know another trick?!
No, no waterflora property.  I actually tried that before and it resulted in the waterflora being planted everywhere on the map except in the water.
What I meant was the marsh would be on land 3m or 4m above the water elevation.  (i.e. from elevation 250m to 253m or 254m). 
I'm hoping to start a thread before the end of the month (or at least before the end of the year :D ) to show what I'm working on, as far as tree controllers go.  (Nothing technically amazing, but a LOT of new content. :) )

Swordmaster

Quote from: c.p. on November 22, 2012, 03:09:23 PM
No, no waterflora property.  I actually tried that before and it resulted in the waterflora being planted everywhere on the map except in the water.
What I meant was the marsh would be on land 3m or 4m above the water elevation.  (i.e. from elevation 250m to 253m or 254m). 
I'm hoping to start a thread before the end of the month (or at least before the end of the year :D ) to show what I'm working on, as far as tree controllers go.  (Nothing technically amazing, but a LOT of new content. :) )

Wow, that's great to hear. Great map and great project!

Cheers
Willy

vortext

Quote from: c.p. on November 22, 2012, 03:09:23 PM

A LOT you say!?! Already looking forward to it!  :thumbsup:

And I'm assuming these will be seasonal controllers as well?! If not, see the link in my signature

EDIT: about the map. Are those thin stretches of land in front of the bay manmade or a natural formation? I agree the lake make things more interesting. Looks like it'll be a fun map to play on.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

noahclem

Fantastic to see one of the old greats of SC4 around again! The map is quite promising and I'm very interested in the swamp flora controller  &apls I have a whole grocery list of things I'm secretly hoping you'd like to do at some point but I won't harass you just yet ;)  Good luck on your new projects and I'll be following with great interest!

mrbisonm

cp is back???? Am I dreaming or did I see right? I remember you well from back then when my hair was still brown.....lol

Just kidding, glad to see you back on this, and new treecontrollers from you.....wow, can't wait to see those since I ONLY use your treecontrollers in my CJ's, oupps, I mean MD's. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Kergelen

A LOT of new content! That sounds very promising.

Great to see one of the flora masters returning to the scene :)

Links to SC4 websites

c.p.

Thanks guys!  Lol, I still haven't started a tree controller thread (a year later), but I have been puttering around with tree controllers lately, so it's coming eventually. . .

Vortext: Yes, they are seasonal tree controllers.  I took a look on google earth, and the thin stretches of land appear to be natural sand formations as far as I can tell.  There are actually some beach cabins on them in some areas.  I'm not familiar with the area in real-life though.  (It's about 4000 kilometers from where I live.)

The Plymouth map is finished, and will be ready for release on or about Thanksgiving.  And I have been working on some other maps as well.  I'm concentrating on maps with good marsh/swamp/wetland areas for developing/testing future tree controllers.  The best dem data I've found for that purpose is the New England coast, Chesapeake Bay, and especially, Alaska.

For Halloween, I've uploaded a different New England map: Salem/Cape Ann, Massachusetts: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3056.  It is 9x7 large cities.

March, 2019: I updated the Salem map today, adding a topo map, for printing out, or for whatever use people might have for it. Here is a look at the topo map:

Overall (the picture in the upload is at a larger resolution):

Detail of marshy area:

Salem:

Manchester-by-the-Sea: