• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Marcszar's BATs

Started by marcszar, March 24, 2007, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ehanson

Welcome back. Now I'm not the only one making New York BAT's anymore. :)

As always great work. The textures look similar to Maxis textures.

Jasoncw

It's looking great.  Do you still have 3ds Max?  You should render it with that if you still have it.  Even if you still want the defaultish shadows, you can have them but at a higher quality in 3ds Max.  I really like how well the brick texture is fitted.  I think buildings from that time are interesting, because they have the modern site planning and mentality, but still retain some of the Art Deco "modern" aesthetic.

Yoman

I pass by these whenever I go into the city, regardless of the route (Harlem Line of Metro North, or one of the parkways). And your model looks excellent. I can't wait to see some of the taller variations.

rushman5

I'm enjoying this return, it has paralleled mine. :)

I would like to recommend something: perhaps a smaller, 3storey apartment building style with iron bars over the windows.  I know you are a little familiar with Baltimore, so go for the Douglass Homes look perhaps.  I dunno, but these look straight out of NYC

JBSimio

Welcome back, Marc!  These promise to be very useful... thank you in advance!   &apls  I already know that they'll turn out just fine because you're the one making them... so I'll just skip to the thank yous and be done with it!  :D

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

XiahouDun

Model looks great, and I really like the textures. Interesting how you used the gradient overlay (I'm assuming?) on the brick walls. I wouldn't think to use the centered style like that but it turned out great :thumbsup: And that may be one of the most realistic roofs I've ever seen. :thumbsup:
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

mightygoose

great work, the model is fantastic and with 20 lots there should be a world of variety..
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

CasperVg

Ooh, very nice! I really love the roofjunk! A bit more weathered texture for the walls would be better tho  :)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

SimFox

I think it looks fantastic.
Couple of notes:

I think basic texture would be fine, or it could be dirtied a bit, but don't overdo it though...
roof junk. It is great for the most part, but I think all those AC like units on the side opposite of volleyball court is a bit out of place. What exactly do they do? What purpose serve? I would get rid of them for the sake of more clothlines, or, for instance, extra water tanks, big building like that could do with more than one...
Texture wise one thing that really needs attention is all the Balcony junk. right now it is incredibly saturated. Tone it down so it would be able to merge with building itself and not look like sort of application done in post.
Also windows are a bit bright... I think you were trying to simulate reflection and drown blinds. Well it does look good, but may be tone down "reflection" part of the composite. reflections should be more noticeable on the darker part of the glass, not lighter one. So they should be apparent on the part where there is no blinds behind glass.
also some extra space IMHO is needed above the top floor just say half a meter of it...
May be you could make the fence around the court either higher or may be covering it from the top as well. I really scarred to think what would happens to the person on whose head the ball will drop would it overshot the court...
But I just love this building!

nofunk

Quote from: SimFox on June 17, 2008, 05:00:35 AM
Texture wise one thing that really needs attention is all the Balcony junk. right now it is incredibly saturated. Tone it down so it would be able to merge with building itself and not look like sort of application done in post.

I agree with SimFox on this. The clothes colors should probably be desaturated a bit. But oh man, I love these buildings! Very stark and imposing! I can't wait to see them in my cities.

callagrafx

Can't really add anything that Nofunk and Simfox haven't already said...it just needs overall "dirty-ing" up.  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

rooker1

After looking at the building some more, I have a few ideas.
The windows on the side of the building, can you put two or four and leave the center empty, as that is where the stairs might be.
The two outside doors on the front and back could be deleted and one added to the side, in the center for the stairs.
A garage door be put beside the center door on the back for the garbage shute and the service entrance for the moving in elavator.

Just a few ideas, if not for this project, maybe another.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

rushman5

Suggestion?  Maybe the dirtying up of the tennis court to look more slummy :)

Alfred.Jones

That is easily the best roof junk I have seen. Ever!

Sim City 4 Devotion

SimFox

My goodness there must be something in the penal code for turning people into the turkeys in the summer. The heat in those top floor apartments must be unbearable!
Small floor, often just a meter high is put above residential top floor not so much to house any machinery - often there isn't any in residential buildings (older or smaller ones) but to serve as an extra insulation from cold in winter and heat in summer...

So, you've modeled those in Rhino?
why did you decided to give it up? for better workflow?

nofunk

Yeah, public housing in the US during the urban renewal of the 60s-70s was a massive failure. Thank goodness Cabrini-Green and Pruitt-Igoe are no longer standing. I actually walked through Cabrini about a year ago, and the transformation is astonishing. The projects are almost completely demolished now, and gentrification is creeping in from the east.

(OK, so I may have photoshopped the sky a little in this. ;))

In any event, you've captured the feel of American public housing all too well in this building! Nice work.

Glenni

Wow that looks great.  :o

Do you take small requests though? is there any chance for a concrete textures version of this? Stripped of Tenniscourts and all that?
It looks great as it is, i just thought it would also look great in concrete and a more simplified version as well though. :P

Then it would kinda look more like the commieblocks here in Europe. :D

ky72x

Whoa... now that's what I call realistic. :o Amazing job on the whole thing, especially the roof junk.  &apls

One question about a prop... where can I find this file: MSZ_PROP_Google_Billboard?  Recently there was a pic in the SC4 Picture Competition that had the billboard in it.  I asked the author where they got the billboard, and he responded, giving that file name.  I know that 'MSZ' refers to you, so I figured it must be yours.

- Kyle

BarbyW

Kyle, that prop was included in the BSC SDP Support Files pack.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original