• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge #1

Started by CabraBuitre, March 25, 2009, 06:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabraBuitre

My entry for Challenge #1 is forthcoming and will be posted here.

Check out Abelfarei!

CabraBuitre

Ghiglieri regional transportation pic:

Highway 10 enters Ghiglieri from the west and cuts through the foothills twice before heading south and back east, ending on Boonsboro Island on tile M.

The NCR (National Coastal Railroad) also enters from the west on tile G before heading north on the far eastern edge of tile I before finally reaching the sea on tile K.

Here is a look from the west of tile B:

You can clearly see the right of way cut by the government along Highway 10 here.  The same right of way was cut along the path of the NCR as well.

(edit for formatting)

Check out Abelfarei!

mrbisonm

Now that you posted your pictures, you are not allowed to change anything anymore. We made copies and judge the originals only.

We also will not make any comments in this thread besides the judging once it is finished by Wednesday next week, but we will make useful and friendly comments in your regular thread of GRV. Points will be given 3 to 4 days after the challenge is finished and will be posted in the Pointage Sheet.
Also your points only together with an explanation and comments why we gave you these points, will be posted here at the end of this challenge.

mrb/lynncanox

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mrbisonm

First of all let us congratulate You. You have made it through the first Mayor's test.
On the picture below, circles with letters will indicate what was important in your region for this challenge. If we say we don't like or we like, it doesn't mean that it's the same for others. We are judging to our lknowledge and what would be the most logical thing to do in our opinion, remember this.

A.  Very good crossings of the road and rail.
B. and  D.  As tunnels are the most expensive means, this wasn't too good of an idea. You should have built around these mountains which would have cost a lot less.
C.  Very good choice of crossing the river.
E.  You didn't connect the rails to the neighboring region.
F.  Two good choices of crossing the grand river here.
G.  You didn't connect the road to the neighboring region.

Now, I think there was a misunderstanding here. We did not ask in the challenge to build a road/rail into the region, but through the region. You haven't connected both road and rails to the neighboring region.
Beside this misunderstanding and the two tunnels which btw were quite costly, you did well. A tight Six total points were granted.
Congratulations and good luck with the next challenge.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

CabraBuitre

Thanks for the points!

Here's some of the method to my madness...

First off, I did read the challenge wrong.  I thought it was just a road and rail INTO the region, not through.  One thing that threw me a bit, though... is the Highway 10 designation.  If you recall, I asked about ferries with challenge #1 (I asked about it with challenge #2, too!) because US Highway 10 is one of only two highways in the United States that contains a ferry ride on the "official" route.

It used to go from Detroit, MI to Seattle, WA but has since been shortened to a route from Detroit, MI to Fargo, ND.  As you can see in the map, there's a big ole gap between Michigan and Wisconsin named Lake Michigan... and Hwy 10 "crosses" the lake on the Badger Express, a ferry from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. 

In my mind when creating Highway 10, I was going to cross the river with the ferry... but when it wasn't allowed, I pictured Hwy 10 ending where I made it end on the coastal island, and having a ferry connection somewhere farther east!

Oh well!

In the same vein, I pictured Ghiglieri as being the eastern terminus of an east-west railroad.  I foresaw a potential shipping port... and the path I chose avoided all of the mountains to the north. 

In terms of the tunnels... I chose aesthetics over sound financial planning.  As I saw it, valuable resources were mined out of the hills as the tunnels were being created, so any lost revenue from going through rather than around was made up by the extra resources found!

Check out Abelfarei!