• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

26? That's crazy! Though there probably is one, somewhere in RL.

And I second this:
Quote from: Patricius Maximus on September 07, 2008, 05:16:41 PM
Good, good....
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Toichus Maximus

I suppos you could make an argument for a 26 lane highway where two 11 lane highways meet and join for a while...

Tarkus

Well, the 26-laner won't be seeing the light of day.  No matter how much anyone begs me for it. :D  But it was in fact actually something I had considered a long time ago.

If you really want highways that wide, well, there's the option of doing Multi-RHW-10s.  Stack a few of those side-by-side and it adds up pretty quick.  You may remember the 20-laner I posted a couple months ago. 

RHW-10 will, upon build-out of the system, be the max, more than likely.  If there were to be anything wider, it'd probably be limited to orthogonal-only.

(FYI, as far as I know, the widest stretch of freeway in the US is I-5 at I-405 in Irvine, California)

-Alex (Tarkus)

zakuten

You could use that RHW-26 for a tollbooth maybe....
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Tarkus

Working on draggable Y-Splitters for the MIS.  Yes, I need to fix that little-to-moderate-sized misalignment there.

-Alex (Tarkus)

MandelSoft

RHW-26: it is possible, but not quite usefull.

Nice MIS-splitter!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Patricius Maximus

I agree with the RHW-10 being the max -- if you need anything more than that, C/D roads are best.

The Y-splitter looks great.

Streetlight 725

nerdly_dood

Ooh nice, I could definitely use that one!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

JoeST

Hey, its looking ace, I guess your going to do diagonal and
\/    \|  |   |    |
|      |  |\  /\  /|

etc flavours, for merging and joining in any way?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

metarvo

Incredible Y-split, Alex.   ;D

Could this possibly be the gateway to MIS T or + intersections, like we have for roads, avenues, etc.?  I'm sure you've seen some of the alternate uses of the MIS on this thread (e.g. small one-way residential streets, pseudo AVE-2s, etc.), and I think that intersections like those would support those uses.

Quote from: Tarkus on September 07, 2008, 05:13:18 PM

That's an RHW-26, in case you were wondering.  And no, it will not be in RHW Version 21.  :D  (Or 22 or 23, or probably any other after that.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

I know I'm never driving on this thing, that's for sure. ::)  It's a good concept, Alex, but it's not practical.

I shall continue to like what I see on this thread.  Great work, Alex.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Quote from: JoeST on September 08, 2008, 05:22:32 AM
Hey, its looking ace, I guess your going to do diagonal and
\/    \|  |   |    |
|      |  |\  /\  /|

etc flavours, for merging and joining in any way?

Just about.  Here's a texture for another Y-Splitter design you'll be seeing:

Quote from: metarvo on September 08, 2008, 05:34:18 AM
Could this possibly be the gateway to MIS T or + intersections, like we have for roads, avenues, etc.?  I'm sure you've seen some of the alternate uses of the MIS on this thread (e.g. small one-way residential streets, pseudo AVE-2s, etc.), and I think that intersections like those would support those uses.

Well, I'm not certain on that front yet.  I had been planning on having an "OWR-1" as part of the NWM, which I think would be a bit more suited for those purposes. 

The MIS ramps actually have about twice the capacity of 2-lane OWRs and carry traffic at highway speeds, so I'm not sure how realistic it would really be to expand their functionality in that manner.  They could serve a use as part of Volleyball Interchanges, though, so I'm a little torn.  I do intend to create more of these "channelized" splitter setups for expanding its use as a sort of "RHW-2S", though--that is definite.

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

Ooooh nice - doagonal functionality is always just as important as orthagonal IMO. :thumbsup:
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

deathtopumpkins

The Y-splitters look great, but if I were you I'd make the yellow lines pointed where they meet, not rounded like you have them, as that implies that you can make a turn.

nerdly_dood

deathtopumpkins

Nerdly: That looks good, and is exactly what I was talking about, but the chevrons are backwards. They should point with the traffic flow.

nerdly_dood

Yeah, the traffic is going bottom to top, yellow line on the left, and the wide lines are pointed so that if they were solid barriers, any errant traffic would be pushed back the right way. They're yellow because that's on the left of one of the MIS ramps, but it's on the right of the other and if that counts then it should be white, like the one attached. For exit ramps and onramps they always point that way too - towards the proper direction for traffic.

pagenotfound

Holy crap this is sweet ;D
*faints and gets back up*

I do have a question about elevated MIS. Are curved elevated pieces in the works? By curved I mean like the Rail puzzle pieces.
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Tarkus

Quote from: pagenotfound on September 08, 2008, 05:22:12 PM
I do have a question about elevated MIS. Are curved elevated pieces in the works? By curved I mean like the Rail puzzle pieces.

They are definitely planned.  I'd probably guess they won't be included until Version 22, though.

Speaking of Elevated MIS . . .

Just need to stick some supports/barriers on the Orth-Diag transition there (and the Ground-to-El), and the models for it will be ready.

And, with this post, the RHW thread here has reached a milestone--3000 posts.  I have a hard time believing it myself.  And we couldn't have gone this far without all your support, so to everyone who has followed this project from the beginning, and to those who are just discovering it now: thank you. :thumbsup:

More development shortly . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

Streetlight 725