• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krbe

I'll admit that I'm sometimes pining for the shores, but there are other things I can read then. This, on the other hand, just proves that we're a bunch of suckers for the impossible, even when the impossible is such natural things as a road with a slightly skewed angle :P

And, oh yes, this is an ex CJ/MD; that's why it's in the Projects section (the lack of which lead it to be classified as a CJ in the third/fourth place ::)

EDIT: But far, far from demised, my friend. -DE

mightygoose

self criticism is a real juggling act, you have to find the balance between self confidence belief and self cirticism and doubt. too much of either leads to vice but the perfect harmony is such a virtue, it seems you are a virtuous man.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

bat

Great work on that newest update! And looking forward to the Euro-textures of FAR!86616

Glazert

Quote from: dedgren on May 31, 2008, 11:39:37 AM

As you can see, for every three gridsquares of run, the road displaces one gridsquare to either side.

Mathematically, this is based on the solution for a right triangle with an 18.4 degree vertex, as shown following.

Any FAR/FARR angle must be based on a combination of two integer numbered sides: i.e. 2x3, 3x4, 4x7 and the like, as, while we can visually "break" the grid, it still has us in its insidious grip.

I found your mini-tutorial on the geometry of FAR/FARR really helpful. I realised that when I learned about lines and angles in geometry, it was largely based on the implicit assumption that the lines are of zero width. Roads and rails, of course, do have width and your tutorial helped me grasp the implications of this on the sc4 grid. So for a vertex of 30 degrees, for every 7 gridsquares of run, the road would displace 4 gridsquares, through you would be drawing on a grid of 7 x 5 [numbers corrected].

So why might I  be interested in 30 degrees, or rather 60 degrees or 120 degrees? Well (apart from variety being the spice of life) it would make possible genuinely symmetrical three-way stacked junctions (120 degrees between each arm). Since the talk here is about smashing the tyranny of the (orthogonal) grid there probably would not be interest in the honeycomb grid that would then be possible.

krbe

Quote from: dedgren on May 31, 2008, 11:48:45 PM
EDIT: But far, far from demised, my friend. -DE

A rather excellent choice of words there :thumbsup:

dedgren

For our Euro-texture friends...

My intention is to get one of these done a day while we wait for the current crop of puzzle-pieces.  My understanding is that the textures are easy to swap in.

I'm putting my janitor suit on and will be doing some maintenance in the dimly lit underbelly of SC4D today, so some 3RR content will have to wait 'til later.

It's on the way, though- rest assured.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

David that is looking good there for the Euro and I hope you dont get lost in the depth of the basement of Devotions as I know that could be umm rather dark down there!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

I'm putting my janitor suit on and will be doing some maintenance in the dimly lit underbelly of SC4D today, so some 3RR content will have to wait 'til later.

Ahh, the seedy underbelly...Don't get lost down there, David!

The Euro textures are looking great, my friend.

Dustin

Jmouse

Think maybe you could clean up that mess behind the secret door?! :P

Looking forward to - something...
Joan

yochananmichael

all this stuff is great and don't be so harsh with yourself but always stay humble and you will achieve greater things than these that have come before
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

CasperVg

Ohh.. EuroFAR looks great. Can't wait to use it  :)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

bat

Nice Euro texture there of the FAR! Great work on it! :thumbsup: 86937

pagenotfound

This looks pretty sweet to say the least :thumbsup:

ps. need another tester?  ;)
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Dargor

@Dedgren: Your inspirational work is one of the main reasons I have started to play SC4 again... I'm 34 and I have a busy life... But to play this game with all these amazing developments in mind is awesome and something I should make time for ;) Keep up the good work and greetings from Holland  :thumbsup:

rushman5

Wait I thought this was the 3RR thread.  Oh wait, this is the 3RR + FAR + RHW 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,79... + Whatever else decides to stumble upon this thread and revolutionize the game- AGAIN, thread.

Sheesh, when are we gonna see something blow up?

I've been waiting for just one building: just one gas station, a sign perhaps.  But no we have to see a long list of pictures you say are taken in SC4, but obviously have been taken out of your private helicopter.  Is there something you need to tell us David?

Ps: what I really meant to say is  :thumbsup:

dedgren

While I've been doing a few med tests over the course of this week, we've been doing a back burner "work on it a few minutes at a time" project.

We're making sure Google no longer has an excuse for 3RR not being on the map.

You'll recall we did a "Streets and Trips" map of 3RR some time ago.

Here's one we're working on so Google isn't left out.

It's quite a ways from done- it takes a lot of pixel-bashing to synch things up.

To give you an idea, here's a section of an unedited Google map of the area.

Here's the old Streets and Trips detail of that area.

And here's the work we've done putting them together so far.

Anyway- we'll keep you posted.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

JoeST

LOL, thats cooooool, and quite funny, thanks for making me laugh :)

hope your going ok, cant wait for more on anything to do with 3RR  :thumbsup:

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

thundercrack83

This is wonderful work, David! I'm a big fan of Google maps, and I'm glad to see that they've gotten around to getting 3RR in its rightful place!

Hope your feeling well, my friend!

Dustin

Tarkus

I'm with Dustin.  Google Maps is a big time-waster for me.  Especially with the new Street View feature. :D  You've done a fine job getting 3RR lined up on there, along with I-98 and I-41.

Interestingly, I had actually read awhile ago that there's a way to directly use the Google Maps interface to create a "mashup" to show completely custom maps using all the zoom features, etc.  I'll have to look to see if I can find the link again, if you're curious to look over it.  It was a rather involved process, though, if I remember right. 

-Alex

dedgren

Just another Google map pic.

It gives you an idea of what has to be done to convert things over.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...