• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakuten

This one would be difficult, but would it be possible to have the lane transfer rather than merge?

i.e.

|| |||
|| /||
||/ ||
||| ||

Something like that.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

strucka

You could do this, if we had FAR inside junction RHW6s -> MIS+RHW4, we now only have the outside one.

swamp_ig

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2010, 04:23:24 PM
As everything has to be integrated with the NAM Controller, we have to be careful about how the files are distributed and can't send out individual pieces for testing, unfortunately.  Additionally, the piece already has been tested and is simply awaiting the completion of the other features in Version 4.2 before it gets released.

Not for too much longer! I'm getting pretty close to releasing my code that will allow modularization of the rul files.

Won't that be handy?

Tarkus

Progress resumes . . . some more transition work.

The existing RHW-2-to-4 transition was by far the most difficult one I've done.  Took me a couple days and a lot of creativity to pull off.  You can also see the RHW-4-to-6C transition here as well:

Another one of Maarten's new contributions re-textured.  The idea for this one had been floating around this thread for probably 3 years with the "Photoshoped [sic] Image" with the RHW 2.0 textures occasionally resurfacing every 80 pages or so.  It'll be included in Version 4.2.

The first RHW-2-to-4 was really the "hump" to get over, so here's what's left:
-a small smattering of ramp interfaces--"legacy" Type Bs for RHW-6S, RHW-8S, RHW-10S, plus the two "mega" ramp/transitions involving the RHW-6C
-About 40% of the transitions, none of which are quite as tricky (and some new ones may surface in the process)
-On the curves/FAR end, the curves are already done aside from one minor tweak to the RHW-4 S-Curves/Lane Shifts.  About 60% of the existing FARHW stuff remains.
-The main thing left is at-grade intersections and draggable transitions--they're closer to about 5% complete.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Has this nomenclature been considered for S to C transitions?

- Wishbone Transition (You mentioned that somewhere for an RHW-2 Ramp, and I thought it would be fitting for all the other S to C transitions.)
- S-curve Transition (Such as the current RHW-6S to 6C transition. They look like S-Curves)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Twinsfan14

Quote from: Tarkus on December 17, 2010, 10:14:17 AM
Another one of Maarten's new contributions re-textured.  The idea for this one had been floating around this thread for probably 3 years with the "Photoshoped [sic] Image" with the RHW 2.0 textures occasionally resurfacing every 80 pages or so.  It'll be included in Version 4.2.

-Alex

Hallelujah! You don't even know how many times I will be able to use this piece!

MandelSoft

Those new textures are looking good, Alex. It's also nice to see some of my pieces with the new US textures ;)

The Euro variants of these transistions should be slightly different. I'm pointing at how I did it in the Euro TRM for v4.0. In Europe it's common to end the inner lane when a freeway/road narrows, mostly due to the "Keep Right" (or Left with LHD) policy.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

interim

Man I've been waiting for that transition forever... Like since I first played SC4 with NAM so many years ago, haha.

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2010, 04:23:24 PM

A very crude prototype of something along those lines.  Obviously, it'd need to be cleaned up a bit and perhaps scaled a little differently, but it gets the idea across.

Quote from: Kitsune on December 15, 2010, 05:48:58 PM
Great! Now all it needs is a entrance lane...  Link, and maybe two ramps crossing over Link. The 401 has a ton of great examples. Also... just make sure never to forget the rural side of things .... A Parclo to nowhere (thats along highway 400 near Bobby Orr's hometown)

Actually with the current version you can make lanes end and begin via connecting ramps. It may not be as compact as the example shown above but I could see it develop into something like it.

Here's an example. Not perfect, but it shows you what can be done. I'm sure future versions will perfect this technique.

(Click the image for full size)

GDO29Anagram

I began to have second thoughts about my proposal, but we may want to keep the "Close Proximity" ramp... Unless we can modify an inside and outside FA ramp... Got it: A trimmed-down version of an existing FA Ramp so that only the main lanes remain, and to do the same with an equivalent or similar FA inside ramp.

Hmm,... To replicate your basketweave interchange in a more compact manner would require the following, most of which is not available as of yet:
- More Starterless Ramps and Transitions.
- TOTSO Ramps.
- Either FA Ramps for all the other networks or more Wide A-Ramps.
- More FA stuff.
- Half-height stuff. Their Ground to 1/2 Height El Transitions would take up less space.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on December 17, 2010, 02:55:07 PM
Has this nomenclature been considered for S to C transitions?

- Wishbone Transition (You mentioned that somewhere for an RHW-2 Ramp, and I thought it would be fitting for all the other S to C transitions.)
- S-curve Transition (Such as the current RHW-6S to 6C transition. They look like S-Curves)

I like it. :thumbsup:  It actually works pretty uniformly for most of the S-to-C transitions and some other transitions and splitters.

And to that end, here's the new textures on the RHW-6C-to-6S transitions--both the existing S-Curve style and the new Wishbone style that Maarten developed for Version 4.2.  Probably going to tweak the dashed lines a little bit more.  Transitions as a whole are very close to being done now . . .

On the little C/D ramp idea for which I showed the little quickie prototype, it's looking like it'll be extended out one tile to be a 2 Wide x 4 Long.  I'm still finalizing the geometry.  A "C Type" version as requested is also under consideration . . . geometry will be a bit trickier though, due to how the lanes are situated.

-Alex

Jack_wilds

RHW-mazing ! nothing really to add just an enthusiastic  :thumbsup:

noahclem

Great progress on the re-texturing Alex! I've said it before and will say it again, I love the new look, lane widths, and pieces  &apls

I do wonder if the left-hand shoulders on the "S"-networks would be better off being a similar width as the "C"-networks--at least for wider-than-RHW4-networks, as it seems that left-hand shoulders only tend to be wide enough for emergency parking on wider motorways. They certainly look great as-is (and are probably easier for diagonal and FA)

I've been in the process of replacing Siilijoki's central interchange recently which has reminded me of a couple possible features I was curious about. I'd constrained myself to curves wider than currently available FLEX-Fly which means that at the moment any diagonal/orthogonal crossing has to involve the diagonal going under the other network--really not a problem for me now but it did made me curious about what might be in the pipeline. Are there plans for diagonal on-slope pieces and/or elevated RHW & MIS wide-angle/FA curves?

GDO29Anagram
the splitter nomenclature sounds great  ;)  Your ramp nomenclature also sounds good, too bad you ran out of letter  $%Grinno$%  Also your "trimmed-down" FARHW idea is great!! I've been pondering something similar for rail a while as I can never find a good way to use wide-angle curves to turn many tracks near a large terminus into a 2-3 tiles worth of rails while offering paths for trains to switch between tracks. Such an approach also seems to fit well with the NAM philosophy of preferring modular (vs. prefabricated) pieces. It might even be easier to create such puzzle pieces of they're a bit smaller than normal ones...

Haljackey that's a beautiful basket-weave  &apls  The only thing I would change about it would be to have type-F FARHW ramps instead of type-C+MIS "S"-curves near the widest part of your interchange. Nice signage too BTW...

And I love the idea of having merge lanes for the "N" piece posted earlier too of course :D

rhwfanatic221

Hello I was just popping in, check up on some of the new features that are going to be possible w/the RHW. Looks great, and I also have a question about a funny texture glitch I got...

Tarkus

Quote from: rhwfanatic221 on December 18, 2010, 07:10:56 PM
I also have a question about a funny texture glitch I got...

It looks like you may have part of another texture set in your Plugins somewhere.  It seems to be only applying to zone/park-adjacent instances of that intersection, too.  I don't really recognize it, either--it's got Euro-style striping on the Road part, but yellow lines on the MIS part.

-Alex

Blue Lightning

Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

deathtopumpkins

Maybe, I don't quite recognize it though.

Anyway, take a look through your plugins folder for texture mods. That is quite likely what the issue is.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Dexter

Great work there!  The new textures look much smoother than the current ones  :thumbsup:

Are there any plans for TOTSO ramps in the near future?

I always thought something like this would come in very useful.
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

figui

^^ definitely, both of them.

great progress so far, thx nam team  :thumbsup:

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

banditp61

I don't know (but im sure it has been brought up) but what about diagonal slope transitions?