• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railroad crossings and other traffic props

Started by jondor, May 31, 2011, 02:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dexter

Quote from: jondor on August 23, 2011, 09:29:16 AM
Indeed there will be.  The props were all created with mirrored versions specifically with LHD users in mind.

Great!  Can't wait for these  ;D
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

metarvo

The OWR crossing gates are something I've been dreaming of for a really long time.  Even the "2 Tracks" sign is included, which makes sense for the DTR crossings.  I assume it will be omitted on the STR crossings, though.  I can't help but notice the row of DxO crossings near the bottom of the first pic in your last post.  Are those the ones you will be working on after the OxO ones are done?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

jondor

Quote from: metarvo on August 27, 2011, 08:48:59 AM
The OWR crossing gates are something I've been dreaming of for a really long time.  Even the "2 Tracks" sign is included, which makes sense for the DTR crossings.  I assume it will be omitted on the STR crossings, though.  I can't help but notice the row of DxO crossings near the bottom of the first pic in your last post.  Are those the ones you will be working on after the OxO ones are done?

Correct on both counts.  The 2 Tracks sign will only be used on the DTR and GLR crossings.  And I'm actually about 80% done with the DTR OxD crossings.  Making the STR crossings is simply a matter of copying the DTR one, moving all the props in 2 meters on each side and deleting the track sign.  GLR is trickier because almost all the textures are rotated 90 degrees from the Rail crossings.  Then I have to LHDify everything.  :-\

Edit: Finally finished all the DTR crossings, both OxO and OxD.  Now to get started on the copy/paste portion of the show.  Also, I slapped one more necessary prop together:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

jondor

For those of you who are curious, here's a wide shot of my test region, click for full size:

As you can see from the just visible gantries, all the DTR crossings are there and I'm just about done with GLR, just the RHW crossings, TuLEPs and the old puzzle pieces to go.  I skipped over STR for the time being to check whether the rail stop point fix worked on OWR and RHWxGLR crossings, and it does.  :thumbsup:

Next, back to STR, then forward again to the other two new GLR variations, though they have far lighter support, so I think it will be limited to Maxis network crossings on those.

Those trees on the wide avenues are because someone accidentally let one of his T21s slip into the dev build.  I don't know if the full set will be in the public release.

Edit: Original and Rural GLR all finished, onto STR.  The only snag is the OWR puzzle piece.  The crossings won't animate even with rail stop points because of the way the piece is modded.  Nothing I can do about it.  &mmm
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

j-dub

Which OWR puzzle piece? Light rail, heavy rail? The half-avenue loophole method does not even work? Would it be so horrible if you just had the signals at those crossings, instead of attaching gates?

jondor

Quote from: j-dub on August 31, 2011, 09:55:15 PM
Would it be so horrible if you just had the signals at those crossings, instead of attaching gates?

You can't really see it in the wide shot, but the Street and all the SAM networks are either lights only or just crossbucks on a wood post for the dirt and gravel networks.  The lights without gates setup will be an option for at least some networks later on in the process.

That's precisely why I created modular props, so they can be combined in different ways to suit peoples' different tastes.

jgehrts

How did I just discover this? Talk about quick progress on a hefty, but awesome, project!

jondor

I'm pleased to say that the first batch of RHD T21s is finally done!  Every DTR, STR and GLR crossing supported by NAM v30 and it's kin has been fitted with high-def modular props.  I have an idea that will make converting everything over to LHD go a lot smoother.

Now for the tough question, and I'm going to put this one to the vote:  Would you rather I release this mod sooner (with only one set of T21s, customization to come later), or later (with three sets of T21s, further customization to come later still)?  I'll run the poll for two weeks from today, so please cast your votes.  :satisfied:

If you vote for sooner, I'll start my LEX application process as soon as the LHD set is done.  If you vote for later, I'll create the basic by-zone and by-wealth T21 sets first, LHD them and then start my application.  Choose wisely.  :D

MandelSoft

I vote for sooner. That's what I always do. Basics first, the rest will come later.

I might want to mess around with your stuff ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Mr10crossing

This is a great website. :)

SWFan89

Nice job Jondor!  &apls &apls &apls

Hope it will be released soon!  ()stsfd()

Just some questions:

• For the NAM v30 release, will there be some modification for the TULEP since there were some larger avenues (AVE-6 & AVE-8) that were created for the release?

• Does your railroad crossings signals work perfectly with the catenary mod for electrification of the train tracks?

Thank you  ;)

dwelln8hss32

Quote from: jondor on August 31, 2011, 10:16:08 PM
Quote from: j-dub on August 31, 2011, 09:55:15 PM
Would it be so horrible if you just had the signals at those crossings, instead of attaching gates?

You can't really see it in the wide shot, but the Street and all the SAM networks are either lights only or just crossbucks on a wood post for the dirt and gravel networks.  The lights without gates setup will be an option for at least some networks later on in the process.

That's precisely why I created modular props, so they can be combined in different ways to suit peoples' different tastes.

First off, hats off Jondor! These additions will be swiftly enjoyed by all, I'm sure  ;) Excellent work.

In regard to STR x SAM crossings, could we maybe get an option for lights or crossbucks in the installer? I'm all for the lights only at STR x SAM crossings, but some may want crossbuck signs, say, if you're using dirt SAM textures. Jut a thought... we're already deep in the NAM, can't have too many options!
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

jondor

Quote from: SWFan89 on September 01, 2011, 03:00:35 PM
Nice job Jondor!  &apls &apls &apls

Hope it will be released soon!  ()stsfd()

Just some questions:

• For the NAM v30 release, will there be some modification for the TULEP since there were some larger avenues (AVE-6 & AVE-8) that were created for the release?

• Does your railroad crossings signals work perfectly with the catenary mod for electrification of the train tracks?

Thank you  ;)

The triple tile networks will have some very basic Type-A TuLEP pieces, but these will not yet include rail crossings.  As for the catenary mod, it will include a file that nullifies the catenary T21s on the crossings only and allows the modular crossings to show instead.

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on September 01, 2011, 03:44:48 PM
First off, hats off Jondor! These additions will be swiftly enjoyed by all, I'm sure  ;) Excellent work.

In regard to STR x SAM crossings, could we maybe get an option for lights or crossbucks in the installer? I'm all for the lights only at STR x SAM crossings, but some may want crossbuck signs, say, if you're using dirt SAM textures. Jut a thought... we're already deep in the NAM, can't have too many options!

Later on, there will be a configuration program for you to set up every network to your exact tastes.  The basic all-zones, all-wealths set will be lights only on Maxis streets and SAM 2, 7, 8, and 9 (and on the currently empty SAM sets as well)  SAM 3, 4 and 5 are passive crossbucks only.  If people vote for me to make the by-zone and by-wealth sets, then Maxis, and 2, 7, 8, 9 will switch between crossbucks only and lights only while 3, 4 and 5 will switch between old style and new style crossbucks.  In either case, the future config program will give you more in depth choices.

I'll post some closer shots of my test region soon so you can see what the basic set will look like.  And if people are really impatient, you can always crack open the reader and fiddle around with things. :P

dwelln8hss32

The by-wealth, by-zone sets sound really promising! I voted to go long for the extras, but we'll see. And a config program teaser?! Yessssir, I believe I'll be all over that. &apls
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

bakerton

Jondor, your project looks great and about time someone does this kind of stuff. The Maxis  RR crossing signals looks okay, but are not real. This will make the game look closer to real as you can get. Keep it going. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

jondor

As promised, here's a look at some of the crossings you haven't seen up close yet (click for full size as usual):

Aaron Graham

I have to say this mod has went a long way when it's finished i'm sure to download it. Keep it up. :D
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

dwelln8hss32

Money!  ;D

Love the tower arm signals on the GLR. KUTGW Jondor!

jeremy2

This is great, now all we need is telegraph poles along the line, perhaps as t21 props as well?? maybe I will take a shot at that one, it will def be a learning curve for me. :thumbsup:

metarvo

On the OxD TLA-3 crossing, I just noticed something.  Is that a yellow-and-black striped obstruction marker in front of the orange-yellow median prop?  I believe it is!  :thumbsup:  This must have been the last necessary prop you mentioned, right?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.