• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTT9

@metarvo: it's no longer supported as you can read on the RRW ReadMe files
You can call me Matt

MladenNinkovic

2b2gbi

Quote from: FlyHigh on January 28, 2014, 02:04:11 PM
Heya Kids  :)
I'm not really sure if I should post this here or at the NAM thread but, since this is mainly a texture thing, I thought of doing it here.

I noticed that the ground rail to overhead pp (straight) was not textured yet but the same piece for diagonal was updated already. Thought it weird...

Also in the diagonal piece, a bit of the old texture is either protruding or reverting back. Could it be because of the slope and the implementation of the RRW texture?

Can anyone confirm it's not only me or that it's in your 'to-do list', Willy?

PS: Also that are some rail conflicting mods that should be included in the cleanitol, in the next iteration of the NAM. I had to 'search and destroy' two of them by hand. It'd have been a pretty laborious job if my plug-ins folder was a mess.

I had the same problem, and at first I thought it was a conflict with another rail mod I had missed. After a lot of checking, however, I found that there seems to be something wrong with RRW and the brown rail viaducts, at least in my game. Moving this file in the NAM folder out of my plugins fixed the texture, so I'm stuck with grey viaducts for now:

You can call me Jon. :)

Check out my MD: Bienville, Missouri

noahclem

Willy never intended those transitions to be RRW supported as it would be impossible for a train to climb a grade anywhere near that steep. I'm guessing the diagonal textures that do appear only do so because they share a texture with the regular elevated diagonal pieces. I'd be extremely surprised if he changed his mind on the matter.

Wthrwyz

So, if those transitions aren't officially supported, which ones are? There is a distinct lack of any other ground-to-viaduct transition piece, at least in my installation. I can't believe that the RRW paradigm is for viaduct rail to exist in isolation from ground level rail. Am I missing something? ()what()
Wthrwyz: It's "weather wise." You see, it has to fit on a license plate...
Oh, just call me Nathan.

2b2gbi

Quote from: noahclem on January 30, 2014, 01:21:15 PM
Willy never intended those transitions to be RRW supported as it would be impossible for a train to climb a grade anywhere near that steep. I'm guessing the diagonal textures that do appear only do so because they share a texture with the regular elevated diagonal pieces. I'd be extremely surprised if he changed his mind on the matter.
Quote from: Wthrwyz on January 30, 2014, 05:14:57 PM
So, if those transitions aren't officially supported, which ones are? There is a distinct lack of any other ground-to-viaduct transition piece, at least in my installation. I can't believe that the RRW paradigm is for viaduct rail to exist in isolation from ground level rail. Am I missing something? ()what()

The pieces do have the correct RRW texture when you use the default grey viaducts:

You can call me Jon. :)

Check out my MD: Bienville, Missouri

jdenm8

So, if those transitions aren't officially supported, which ones are?

None of the existing ones. The RRW is in a Pre-Alpha state and is largely unfinished.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wthrwyz

Alpha or not, seems a bit...I don't want to use the word "useless" here...I guess not useful to be unable to transition between the two.  ::)

I guess the answer is to stick with on-slope transitions for the time being until a new ground-to-elevated transition is developed.

Please don't take this in the wrong way. Seriously, I'm not trying to be insulting or condescending in any way here. I know RRW is in its very early phases and am perfectly happy to use it as-is until it fleshes out. I guess I'm just pointing this out in my own silly way.
Wthrwyz: It's "weather wise." You see, it has to fit on a license plate...
Oh, just call me Nathan.

Indiana Joe

Eh, if it hasn't been made, it hasn't been made.  Seems more likely that it's a bug since it works with the default viaducts.

Some things are going to be converted before others.  Since it's a matter of opinion as to what pieces are most important, you can't please everybody.  I personally never use those ramps.  Too steep.  But I also rarely use STR.  That, of course, was a priority to convert.

Tarkus

The other thing to consider is that the draggable Rail viaducts project is under the RRW umbrella.  The old puzzle pieces are kind of a stopgap.  There's a lot of things that are still in a transitional phase across the board.  We're really at the start of a new era on the NAM front.

-Alex

Gugu3

Alex, you know that when you say things about a new era of the NAM you just make everyone about the amazing stuff that is planned??  :P :D :D

Swordmaster

Thanks for the comments and questions everyone. I'm sorry I couldn't get to them, but I'm officially without computer these days. I thought to return from a short break around this period, but my trusty old machine finally succumbed to old age and left me stranded. And that's a month after I passed on my laptop to a friend  %wrd

It'll be a few months before I can get a replacement I'm afraid, so RRW work including bug fixing is on hold for a while.

Quote from: jdenm8 on January 30, 2014, 05:37:03 PM
So, if those transitions aren't officially supported, which ones are?

None of the existing ones. The RRW is in a Pre-Alpha state and is largely unfinished.

I digress, the base network is largely finished. It was in pre-alpha, and then it didn't get any bug reports, so I called it a beta ;)

Regarding the ground-to-elevated transitions, Noah is correct in that I personally don't intend to support them for the stated reasons. On-slope pieces are more realistic.

Cheers
Willy

Shadow Assassin

Depending on the texture set used, (I use Rivit's steel and concrete viaducts), you may still get remnants of the old texture. This is something that seriously needs to be considered when we have five or six possible viaduct texture variations and they all need to be consistently done.

Unless the viaducts are also gonna get a makeover?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

rivit

Id like to congratulate Willy and all who helped on the RRW so far - I've converted about 30 of my test cities and really only find snafus with STR - Base and DTR seem quite solid - no showstoppers there. The conversion to RRW is quite easy (going back isn't - so back up first).   

I will be issuing a RUM for RRW set shortly - it will at least have all of my existing viaducts (and a couple of new ones), re-rendered tunnels DTR and STR (I've also fixed the Maxis one by editing it) and RRW crossings for my street sets. This should fix the dangling rail texture which is attached to a part of the viaducts. and comprises the addons I've made.

I've also had a go at all of the base crossings (street, road, OWR, avenue) and a re-implementation of the T21s for the plunderer catenaries we see used most (which of course don't exist for the new pieces) - about halfway though those and will only release these if the team thinks its OK. 

Gugu3

Good to hear you're working on a RUM for RRW Rivit!!! &apls

roadgeek

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 02, 2014, 09:00:22 PM
I thought to return from a short break around this period, but my trusty old machine finally succumbed to old age and left me stranded. And that's a month after I passed on my laptop to a friend  %wrd

Hmmm... wonder what kind of websites this friend has been visiting.

Swordmaster

Quote from: roadgeek on February 06, 2014, 07:29:54 PM
I thought to return from a short break around this period, but my trusty old machine finally succumbed to old age and left me stranded. And that's a month after I passed on my laptop to a friend  %wrd

What's your point?

Cheers
Willy

eggman121

Wires have come FAR3 way :D

Yep that is the orthogonal, Diagonal and Partial FARRW Straight Sections done. It was no easy task. I had to find the corresponding SC4path Files to T21 the catenaries props onto the puzzle pieces. What is more, the calculations where zorked to say the least with many attempts to correctly place the wires. The wires themselves where easy enough to make. So while the straights are almost done the next task will be to put catenaries on the WRC and FAR3 turnouts and curves which will be well... Fun

-eggman121

trabman11

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 08, 2014, 08:02:00 AM
Quote from: roadgeek on February 06, 2014, 07:29:54 PM

What's your point?

Cheers
Willy

We may never know.....

eggman121: Those cantries (is that how you spell it?) look great!  &apls
RISE UP AND FIGHT WITH SUPER BUNNY AND BOB!!!
  (\_/)           ☻/       /  \       
\(='.'=)/        /▌        |☢|       
(")_(")         / \       //||\\
*whispers* ...For what I don't know...I think they are anti-Google+ anarchists  ???

DJSun1981

@eggman121:

Hope, I can use your catenaries somedays  &apls
-------------------