• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvarcoe

Hey David.

Just read through the recent backstory entry.
Great stuff, lots of cool detail (especially for those who like stats).

Thoroughly enjoying the ride.

Phil

dedgren

So, before I leave Texas, let me post a piece of mapgeek eye candy.  Please note that these are not small images.

Here it is with no relief.

Click on either map for a larger version, which will open in a new window.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sebes

That was a lot of reading to catch up again. Very interesting information about the townships and census David. Cool mappies too  ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Fred_Ginger

This is fascinating, I always make up stories in my mind about my cities as to where they start and what causes them to grow, but never such depth!, Fascinating, simply fascinating! :thumbsup:
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

threestooges

Great maps, but I have a question: is Tincup not included on the population chart because it is completely abandoned (or is it just that it doesn't quite fit the qualifications)? Make that 2 questions: just out of curiosity, where is Historical Marker 348 located on the map? I hear it has something to do with an old comedy group.

Unkles27

great looking maps. It'll be fun to make those places come to life

dedgren

Woot!  I left myself an out!

QuoteAfter falling into disuse for several decades, the section of the line between Wolf Lake and Tincup, the latter now a "ghost town," has been revived by private investors starting in 1993 as a "scenic railroad," and as such carries over 30,000 sightseers and tourists during each summer season.

As a ghost town, it would appear that Tincup has no corporeal, and thus countable residents, thus Matt (threestooges), my sharp-eyed friend-

It was OK to leave it off the census list.

...next, watch me justify deducting my dog as a business expense to the IRS...

I should note the map, maybe?

Anyway-

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Tarkus

Alright . . . more maps! :thumbsup:  As always, the amount of detail on it is insane.

And that was a pretty good save on Tincup.  Heck, you might be able to get that dog deduction yet.

-Alex

kalanc69

Hi, I have to say I have been very impressed with the stuff I have seen here so far! I am amazed at the depth and detail you have put into your region...It makes me feel like an inept novice. I just wanted to ask what the future of the Creating Large Seasonal Woods Ploppable Lots was. Are you planning on finishing that up anytime soon, or should I place it on a backburner and not look for it until you mention it again? I don't want to be a pest, I just hate looking back there every week or so and seeing it unfinished...not know what is going to happen with it next. If you say that it is on hiatus until you get all of this other stuff done then I will accept that and enjoy the stuff you are putting out now (Not that I'm not enjoying it already!). Thanks for all of the great stuff you have brought to us!!! BTW, I hope you enjoyed your stay here in the big state of Texas, I reside in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex area! I hope your family is doing better too!

Sincerely,

Kalanc69

meldolion

Great Maps David!!! The level of detail is unbelievable :)

&apls

dedgren

We're 50 folks away from 3RR's 1000th comment here at SC4D.  Who knows what that will bring...

I'm grounded (literally) today.  One flight on my three stop itinerary was cancelled, so I elected to remain in Texas 'til tomorrow.  After doing a few things, I plan to return and add to this comment, so you might check back until you see stuff below this line (other than, of course, my name).

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

thundercrack83

QuoteWe're 50 folks away from 3RR's 1000th comment here at SC4D.  Who knows what that will bring...

Make that 49...

I love the maps, David, especially the one with the relief! I can't wait to see the maps come to life when the collaboration begins. And I must agree with Alex (Tarkus)--it was quite the save on Tincup, we should call you Patrick Roy.

Until next time,

Dustin

kwakelaar

Love the maps and the stories.  :)

threestooges

Perhaps, if not a business deduction (although you could claim stress management and health benefits) you could try listing your dog as a dependent (I know mine sure is).

dedgren

I've been out with my boy all day, so when I got back I just doodled up the following.  It's an eyecandy addition to the backstory.

Three Rivers Region has an exceptional system of regional parks.  Consisting of 36 parks scattered throughout the region, these parks afford a myriad of all-season recreational activities to residents and visitors to the region alike.

Waterfront camping at Grey Rock RP just east of Brooks Ferry

The parks include some of the premier outdoor recreation areas in the region.  From beautiful lake shores

Big Slark Lake

to scenic rivers and streams

Exploring the bogs at the south end of McLaren Flowage from Marsh RP

to spectacular high country

Paddock in Tincup RP

anyone seeking a first-class outdoor recreational experience can do no better than to pack up the family and head just a few miles to a 3RR Regional Park.  There's something there to do for everyone!

Kids at Sand Beach RP just north of Truman

Here's a table of all of Three Rivers Region's Regional Parks.

You'll see that some, but certainly not all, charge an entrance fee.  This charge is nominal, ranging from a few dollars up to (3RR) §10.00 per vehicle (2007).  An family unit annual pass can be purchased for (3RR) §60.00 (2007) at any park, or at the park system administrative offices in Pineshore, Highland, Pvarcoe or Wolf Lake.

The Region Park system totals 2,554 acres, as noted, of some of the most scenic areas in 3RR.

Secluded cove at Round Lake RP

All but nine of the parks have camping facilities, ranging from the full-featured

RV/Trailer campsites at Spanish Bay RP

all the way to primitive sites intended for those who travel light.

A primitive site in Wild Horse Hills RP on Pratt Island

Full service sites have 30 amp, water and sewer hookups and full-service restrooms.  At primitive campgrounds, pit toilets

Pit toilets at Eaglesnest RP on the north shore of Cold Lake

and hand-pumped water

Water supply in Rayden Mountain RP primitive campground

are the order of the day.  Whichever you choose, you can be sure that the facilities will always be clean and well-maintained.

Whatever your choice of outdoor activities, 3RR's Regional Parks have them on offer.  There's the region's world-class fishing

Fishing from the dock at Rondy Point RP

for starters.  Of couse, all kinds of boating are available.  There's powerboating

Boating at West Arm RP near Stockholm

from docks and ramps provided for your convenience.

Power boat docks at Big Point RP on Lower Taylor Lake

There's great canoeing.

Canoeing off Little Cold Lake RP on Little Cold Lake

Canoeing at Bass Creek RP

There's kayaking, too!

Kayaking on the Roaring Fork River near Roaring Fork RP

For the equestrian, several Regional Parks offer full-service stables and Horse trails.

A wilderness ride in Paradise RP

Saddling up at Low Light RP, just a few miles from downtown Pineshore

The winter sports enthusiast is not forgotten.  From ice-fishing

Ice-fishing off Bluff Point RP, near Oak Center

to hauling... er, ice, both on water

Annual ice-boating competition held at Round Lake RP

and on land

Snow-machiners on the 13 miles of groomed trails at Low Light RP

3RR Regional Parks have something to offer one and all.

Sand Beach RP and Grand Lake near Truman

We'll see you at one soon!

3RR's Regional Parks, folks.  Too bad they're just somewhere in my head, eh.

Flying tomorrow well, OK, today.  Better head for bed to rest up my arms.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

In your head now, in the hands of collaborators soon. That was one highly detailed update. The camp amenity list was quite comprehensive. How long does it take you to put one of those things together? This gives me a suggestion for a standard thing to have (if camping is necessary) but I'll put that over in the collaborating thread. Rest well, I hope your flight is on time.

Elektra

Okies, now I want to go camping.  Nice update on the parks and all the activities at each park.  You just amaze me with all the data you collect and put together to share.  Thanks.

Wendi
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
A. Einstein

Rayden

I can see I'll have to bat a rustic water pump for my quad at 3RR, isn't that right? ;) :thumbsup:

emilin

Adds one more post to the big 1.000.

I have nothing intelligent to add right now since I'm in the middle of cleaning my house, but I'll try to compensate for that later.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

pvarcoe

Very very nicely done, David.

A beautiful piece of backstory to be sure.
I just wish you had waited about a month or so to post it.
I was already chomping at the bit to get out on the trails,
and it's so cold here (-22c with windchill yesterday) I've probably got another month to wait  :'(

Phil