• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_meissner

That last picture looks great. Just like many of the rural intersections in Northern MN. Can't wait for those poles.

Ben

EDITWell, Ben- you are the second to join the "Double-0" club this month, and it's only the 9th.  I'm far enough behind at this point to know we are going to have to rent a hall to hold the honors ceremony. -DE

Ennedi

Quote from: emilin on September 09, 2008, 03:25:22 AM
The curves look amazing. &apls

On another note: Those last updates have made me change my mind about the Columbus terrain... I Always used to feel that it was a bit... well... bland, actually. But seeing it being used on such "bumpy" terrain like you just did, I can really see the advantages of not having to aggressive textures too. I still think it looks a bit strange on higher eleveation levels (such as you have shown us earlier on Mount Rayman, for instance...). where Pegasus old rock mods often look much more realistic (I prefer the brown lime stone myself).

Hopefully, in the future, somebody *cough*Ennedi?*cough* will be able to make a more versitile terrain mod that can combine the best of these respective features. ;D

Yes, there is such project  ;D But it isn't easy. After some funny attempts I started to collect RL photos of various terrains and now I have a big chaos in my mind  :D Hopefully it (the chaos) can give something new  ;D
I have some conclusions at this moment:
- If something looks realistic on the RL photo, we can't be sure it will be realistic in SC4. It is a very special world  ;)
- Simple decreasing the texture size for various zooms is not a good way. Cycledogg's method of adjusting textures for particular zooms is more advanced, Dogfight made really good work with his rock mods.

Anyway, David's work with all this fantastic stuff (non-grid networks, seasonal ploppable objects and many others) really motivates me to think about good background for all these creations  :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

pilotdaryl

Those signs are realistically scaled! :o

girlfromverona

Awesome pics, David and Haljackey! I will gladly help beta test anything that needs it.  ;D

What does the "grunt work" for the signs involve? If it's not too complicated, I'm willing to give it a go. I've never done anything like that before, so it's probably best left to the experts if it's a bit tricky...

EDITMarisa, that tutorial should be up tonight.  Take a look and, if you are still interested, give me a yell. -DE

Andreas

The "grunt work" requires some basic knowledge of the Reader; how to insert and modify files, changing IDs and such things. I'm sure David will write up a small tutorial, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn the process.
Andreas

Streetlight 725

Great signs and telephone poles!! &apls :)

metarvo

That's an intelligent use of the FAR, Haljackey. &apls

Wow, David! &apls  Those rural posts that line the road look like they were made to be there.  I also see that diagonal post.  This addition will have diagonal functionality, apparently.  Keep it up, David.

Two thumbs up for each of you:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's saying something, since I only have two thumbs.

EDITI likewise have two, my friend, but as to whether they are opposable... -DE
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Pat

David sign me up man!!! Bad pun but hey I will be willing to learn a new skill for personal gain at the same time too, can't beat that deal at all  ;D

EDITPat, as I mentioned to Marisa (girlfromverona) below, watch for the tutorial.  Thanks! -DE

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sim-al2

Quote from: metarvo on September 10, 2008, 05:04:26 AM

Two thumbs up for each of you:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's saying something, since I only have two thumbs.

HE'S AN ALIEN!  :P

I like your use of the FAR Haljackey. I have one question though. How do you become a NAM associate? Is it something you sign or for, or is it one of those "generic looking letter in the mailbox" type things?  $%#Ninj2

Edit: These isn't on topic at all but why can't I view my own karma? Has it become a premium feature too? I used to be able to view my own and other people's karma.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

dragonshardz

They (da admins) removed the karma thing because "karma wars" started. People were removing karma for insignificant little things and the admins decided to just kill it for most members. I think Global Mods and Admins can edit/view karma though.

EDITWell, 'shardz, as one of 'da admins, I will agree that the karma system was changed coming up on a year ago after there were some issues.  I wouldn't personally call what happened a "war," but that's just me.  We did remove the ability of the general membership to give or take karma points, but have urged (and continue to urge) folks who think another member's accomplishment or conduct merits changing his or her karma to let a global moderator or admin know.  These staff continue to have the power to change karma.  I will note that, after the change, the vast majority of the karma points awarded by staff have gone to non-staff (i.e.: general) members of the site. -DE

metarvo

Quote from: sim-al2 on September 10, 2008, 12:51:39 PM
HE'S AN ALIEN!  :P

I knew something was wrong with me.  I think you just figured it out. :D :D :D

EDIT: By the way, it's never too early to start thinking about that big 5,000th post celebration.  I'm sure you're planning something, David.  Something that will almost certainly blow us all away. :o
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

threestooges

Quote from: sim-al2 on September 10, 2008, 12:51:39 PM
Edit: These isn't on topic at all but why can't I view my own karma? Has it become a premium feature too? I used to be able to view my own and other people's karma.
The lack of karma descriptions is a result of the upgrade. Somehow they disappeared during the transition/upgrade, but at least the values are still there and any new changes will be shown.

EDITMatt, you appear to be pretty much right.  The upgrade did do in the old karma log, which I understand used to be available for the general membership toward the bottom of the main forum index screen.  The values did survive and supposedly the log is also still available, but karma entries up to the point of the upgrade are no longer displayed.  The bad news is that the general membership can no longer see the new log, which sort of defeats its purpose.  We're looking into this and several other small glitches that the upgrade has left us with, and will do everything we can to restore this feature.  I'll talk with you and the other staff about a short-term workaround over the next little bit. -DE

Tarkus

This ploppable signage stuff is still quite revolutionary, I must say.  I'd be willing to help out some with the "ploppamatizing" a little, too.  I was able to figure out how you were doing it and make a sign I did myself ploppable, too, so let me know what I can do on that end.  I'm willing to make a few signs if need be, too--I have a few laying around.

The new FAR/FARR textures, as I've probably already told you, are magnificent.   :thumbsup:  Just need to incorporate them into my next build and get those paths fixed to allow better RCI access.

And congrats on the big 4700! 

-Alex (Tarkus)

newsimaddict

sighs...if only i knew how to create all these wonderful things...

everyone here is doing such a great job! &apls

dsrwhat316

Through a hush-hush process, I come from the future with pics of the FAR/FARR in action:

At-grade FARR crossing in a residential neighborhood.

The rail line weaves its way through the same neighborhood.

Here we see the FAR textured using the Lot Re-sizing method.

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

sithlrd98

I think I'm gonna cry! Those signs are great and I LOVE  those pics Dan!

Jayson

Toichus Maximus

reveal thine secrets, o time traveler! I am so psyched for when these are ready!

jplumbley

Hey guys excellent progresson the FARR.  I  hope you guys make sure its in the NAM!!  sounds like some competition is going to arise soon, check it out, hopefully everything goess well and they realize only one of each RUL file is allowed to exist, which means alot of co-ordination with the NAM team would be required to keepi t compatible with the NAM.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5649.0
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

Jason, I think David is aware that the FAR/FARR needs to be a NAM plugin; after all, Alex (Tarkus) did the modding and created a NAM controller for it. ;) I'm not sure what this other group is about to do, but it should be common knowledge as well that there can be only one instance of RUL files for all transit-related items.
Andreas

art128

very nice picture Dan, the FARR look very good in your city  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog