• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Threestooges and the BAT

Started by threestooges, January 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoncrie

The Maxis power poles will be replaced if you create a model that has a group ID of 0xbadb57f1 and an instance ID of 0x0AD30000.  This is the model used for straight lines (no turns or branches).

Other power pole models have instance ID's of  0x0AD20000, 0x0AD40000, and 0x0AD50000.

Diggis

But to match the lines you need to make them the same height as the maxis ones?  There are no IID's for the lines that we can find as far as I remember.

Jmouse

The finished product looks really good, Matt. Glad you included the three-bar model, BTW, and hope you get the IID issues worked out.

And thanks again for loaning out the poles. For the time being, my To-Do list runneth over, but I'll get around to working on that project eventually, and when I do, you'll be the first to know! :)

Later...
Joan

deathtopumpkins

Those poles are looking great! I can't wait to see what David does with them.

And glad to hear the trestle's almost done. I've been looking forward to it.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

threestooges

Replies:

-Pat: You may have started something with that comment. It'll take some time and research, but it's something to look into. Hope all is well with you.

-City Builder: Thanks for the thoughts. One benefit of these will be the lack of lines to worry about lining up. Also, if they are on lots they can be placed close enough to conduct power (I think).

-smoncrie: Thanks for the information there. If things work out, and I find the time, I may just tinker with those IDs a bit.

-Diggis: Good question Shaun. I'm not sure of the answer, but hopefully someone around here knows (or I'll go ahead and find out).

-Jmouse: The ID issues seemed to have been fixed and there will actually be a couple more additions to the whole shee-bang before it's all wrapped up. Good luck with the Mouse House final works, and I'll talk to you later.

-dtp: The waits over on David's applications (see below), but the trestle will have to wait for at least another little bit.

Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts on the polels, it really gets the creative thoughts flowing from a few other perspectives. For present developments on the poles, see: this page or 3RR and the ones just before. David (dedgren) has been putting these things to good use. What's even better is that he'll be sending them back this way for inclusion in an ITC release. There are a few other pole versions in the works, and perhaps a few other small bits and pieces, but for now, that's what's going on with them. Busy week ahead, but I hope to have a few things (or at least one... I hope) before it's over. Until then, take it easy and thanks for the comments.

-Matt

Travis

hey Matt, the poles look great, and fill a needed gap. :thumbsup: And btw, if you need a readme made for them, I could whip one up from the team template I made.  ;)

spa

Those are nice powerpoles and something I would definitely use. The maxis provided high transmission towers, great though they are sometimes, really don't look right strung along the back roads.

paroch

Matt,

I'm liking the Poles alot (and the Czechs are a nice bunch too :D )  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

In fact for some reason, the electricity on my street comes in overhead via such poles, so I can confirm they are looking very realistic.  One question (and apols if I missed a comment) - where will they sit in the menus?

For me these will add some nice touches in rural and semi rural places.

Paul

Simpson

Great Bat it's looking very good  ;)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

threestooges

Replies:
-Travis: I think a readme could be in ordrer for these, but we've talked about that already. I like the new template too.

-spa: I agree with that. I'm trying to remember how to replace the 'game' poles and I may look into creating a more rural alternative if I can remember how.

-Paul: Poles, Czechs, they're all good. As far as their menu position, I'm not sure quite yet, David's working on that end of things.

-Simpson: Thank you very much. I will have some more to show soon.

Now that that's done, I should probably dust things off in here a bit. Things have been rather busy for me so most of the BAT projects here have been on the back burner. Recently, I have been working on road signs with can be seen in 3RR. I will post a group pic on them here when I get the chance, but for more details on those and the poles, keep an eye on 3RR.

As far as the current projects that may be making an appearance here, I think I've finally figured out what I need to for a few bridges so look for those. Also, based on smoncrie's information (and Shaun's too) I may take a stab at rural high tension lines (or something not quite so red and white). Road signs are getting there, at least the ortho versions are, diagonals and FARs will come shortly too. Still trying to get that pic, but I'll see what I can do later today.

-Matt

Jmouse

I was just looking at the signs this morning as I worked on the 3RR TOC, Matt. They'll make a wonderful addition to the game, and I'll be one of the first to grab them as soon as they're available! There have been several fairly simple ideas recently that have added so much to the in-game possibilities, and those signs are right up there at the top of the list!

Later...
Joan

metarvo

Since power poles seem to be a hot topic lately:

Here are some of mine.  Matt, I believe that you wanted a copy of the orthogonal wood pole base model attached to this thread, so here it is.

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

threestooges

Those look good, now let's see what I can do with them.

-update-
I've been fortunate enough to mess around with metarvo's models here, working with him in an attempt to replace the game's power poles. The necessary ID information provided by smoncrie at the top of the page should have done the trick, but for some reason all it does is offset the game model. The replacement does not show. I know fukuda had sucess in replacing the lines, however, from the looks of things he created a separate override file for the game's default. I tried replacing the model via the same method using his file and it worked:

This leaves me with two questions:
1) Does anyone know why it would work that way?
2) Is there any way to get rid of that concrete base? If these things are going to be rural, that might stand out a bit.
-Matt

--Warning: Do not download this file without the express written permission of me (threestooges). The attached files are untested and there is no guarantee they will work, or even that they will be safe on your computer (though I do try to test them).--

metarvo

To tell you the truth, that base is what I've been trying to avoid. /wrrd%&  Of course, I suppose that if I had to choose between the concrete base and the red-and-white poles, the base would be the lesser of the two evils, IMO
Here's a thought.  What if that base is similar to a retaining wall?  I noticed that it seems to conform to the slopes so that it is always flat, and the poles have a flat surface as a result.  The base may in fact be a support for the poles.

In any case, here is another model, Matt.  It is a taller and thinner version of my power pole.

Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

threestooges

Replies:

-Joan: Thanks for that. As you probably already know there are a few additional angles on the way. I just need to verify the offsets (I can do that myself now that David has finished his 3RR plop tutorial.

-metarvo: I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to do any further testing with the poles and the bases, but I've been watching your work. It looks pretty darn good.

It feels good to get the chance to BAT again. Sorry that I haven't updated much recently, but I do have something interesting to show. A while back, I showed a wooden trestle. That has been completed for the most part and should be making its way to testing. While that's nice, I was approached with a suggestion. Some of you may have already seen an indication of this, but for those who haven't, or for those who want to see something new, I'll let the picture speak for itself.

Ignore the little bump on the left. That was a result of a quick rotation and preview, the final result will give travellers a slightly smoother ride. Let me know what you think.

Jmouse

Oh Matt, I want to test it right alongside the FAR/FARR pieces! :thumbsup: Since I have no experience making bridges, I wonder about the length of the span, the terraforming required, etc. You're much more experienced at BATting than I am, so be patient with me! ::)

Later...
Joan

threestooges

Joan,
The bridge can be any length (as long as the properties are set in the Reader, and as far as terraforming goes, as long as it fits the criteria for a regular bridge, you should be able to draw it. More detailed information is available in the Bridge Engineering Thread but a bridge is generally built on three basic pieces: start/end (this is one piece and is mirrored at the other end of the bridge), a repeat piece, and a pillar/support piece. These pieces are repeated across the length of the bridge (look at the under truss for example). More complex bridges are available, but they require some basic RULing. If things work on this, I'll send you a version to test. I just need to make sure it works first.
-Matt

metarvo

Wait?  Is that a RR-1 bridge?  It looks like it has only one set of tracks.

Pat

Matt that bridge is just looking stunning, even though right now I would hate to be in a train on it and hit that bump lol... I know you said you will get it fixxed but I couldnt resist that comment  ;D  again great job on it!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CasperVg

Brilliant. I can't wait already  ;D
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube