• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Paradox Interactive announces Cities: Skylines

Started by Tarkus, August 14, 2014, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Paradox Interactive, the Swedish game company behind the Cities in Motion series, announced today at Gamescom that they're making a full-bore city simulator, entitled Cities: Skylines.

The website is here, and they've posted a preview video, which makes some not-so-subtle jabs at the new SimCity.

http://youtube.com/v/lxfeBpagvQw

I haven't played CiM or CiM2, but I've heard generally good things about them, and the fact that they aren't going off the deep end with multiplayer stuff like Monte Cristo and later EA suggests that they're focused on getting a good, solid game in place.  The video states that it's of the game in alpha state . . . it looks interesting.  I'll be following this one closely.

-Alex

Durfsurn

Woah that thumbnail! I don't have time to watch it now but that gets me intrigued. Thanks for posting this or I probably would have missed it!

-Billy

[More detailed reply to come]

catty

I've got CIM1 and CIM2, I tend to build cities and play in CIM1 as my computer struggles a bit with CIM2, but if they do half as good a job as they did with CIM1 and CIM2 then its going to be   &dance

and I'm going to need a new computer to play it.

()stsfd()   :thumbsup:
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

CahosRahneVeloza

Woah...  :o

This looks like a souped up & improved version of Cities XL.

Tarkus

Also, from the information floating around, apparently, the city tile is 38km x 38km (1444 sq. km).  For non-metric folks (like myself), 38km = 23.56 miles (~555 sq. mi.), and equivalent to a 9.5 x 9.5 large tile region (same area as about 90 large city tiles) in SC4.  I could actually fit most of the county I live in within that area.  Apparently, they're taking a simulation approach more akin to SC4, rather than attempting to duplicate GlassBox, which explains why they're able to go so large.

-Alex

CasperVg

Yep, call me hyped. CIM1 and CIM2 were/are both pretty great games, and if they use the same approach for Skylines, it should be a blast.

They say Skylines will be moddable (in the video there's "mod and share online") but I am unsure how far you'll be able to go with that, as CIM1 and CIM2 are notoriously hard/impossible to mod.

For CIM2, basically the only mods that exist are custom maps (which can be created with an in-game editor). Hopefully they'll do a better job on moddability this time (they said moddability was hard because of the game engine (Unity), but then again games like Kerbal Space Program are also made in Unity and are very moddable)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

cmdp123789

At the website I read that you can unlock city tiles to expand your city... What does that mean? If this game is moddable.. We could be watching at the real successor of sc4..

Tarkus

Quote from: cmdp123789 on August 14, 2014, 11:35:42 PM
At the website I read that you can unlock city tiles to expand your city... What does that mean? If this game is moddable.. We could be watching at the real successor of sc4..

Annexation, perhaps?  I actually suggested that to Maxis once it became clear what the situation was with regions and city tiles with SC13.  That actually could have worked well with their multiplayer design (imagine fighting your neighbors to claim certain tracts of land as part of your city).  Obviously, they didn't bite, but perhaps Paradox will--that'd be pretty amazing.

-Alex

vortext

Here's an imgur album with screenshots, it looks very nice. Also, from their website:

Main features:
  • City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
  • City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
  • Road building and zoning
  • Unlock buildings and services
  • Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
  • Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
  • Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
  • Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
  • Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
  • Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
  • Polished visual style and core gameplay
  • Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

Note the last point there, Casper.  ;)

All in all this is kinda how I imagined the new Simcity to be.  ::) Consider me stoked, too. Might actually give this a try!
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

CasperVg

Quote from: vortext on August 15, 2014, 01:58:19 AM
    • Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

Ah, I overlooked that. Sounds great - consider me even more hyped.. :D
    Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

vortext

Done some more sleuthing. Apparently the 38km square map size was mentioned in a live stream by Paradox. Also, talking about not-so-subtle jabs at the new SimCity.

:D
    time flies like a bird

seraf

*watching video* 0:50, what a nightmare  :o

All in all, it looks like another game for transport enthusiasts rather than for those who like to build detailed cities with old and traditional architecture :(

Bipin

If modding constitutes the ability to import objects from 3dsMax or similar programs, I will mail myself to Paradox Interactive's offices in Sweden, pop out of a box, and proceed to hug everyone.   &apls

EDIT: The chances of those aforementioned modding possibilities are becoming ever more probable. See for yourself:

I don't know about you, but "extensive" sounds pretty good to me. I can't wait for more details!

catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

APSMS

Between this and Citybound (over at Simtropolis), I'm very excited indeed.

Given the prices of the CiM games, it looks like this won't break the bank to get, either. I'm glad some people are seriously considering a serious modern city Sim building game
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

FrankU

vortext

Quote from: seraf on August 15, 2014, 05:38:18 AM
    All in all, it looks like another game for transport enthusiasts rather than for those who like to build detailed cities with old and traditional architecture :(

Keep in mind vanilla SC4 is skewed towards US cities and even than West Coast predominantly (ugh, those palms. . ). It really depends on Paradox' understanding of 'extensive' modding. And in that regard the new SimCity also came with the promise of modding capabilities, too bad pretty much everything of interest was taken off limits beforehand. So. . . we'll just have to wait and see.

That said, I already like the graphics of Cities a lot better.
    time flies like a bird

seraf

Quote from: vortext on August 16, 2014, 05:04:11 AM
    Quote from: seraf on August 15, 2014, 05:38:18 AM

Keep in mind vanilla SC4 is skewed towards US cities and even than West Coast predominantly (ugh, those palms. . ). It really depends on Paradox' understanding of 'extensive' modding. And in that regard the new SimCity also came with the promise of modding capabilities, too bad pretty much everything of interest was taken off limits beforehand. So. . . we'll just have to wait and see.

That said, I already like the graphics of Cities a lot better.

Oh I know that SC4 without CC too doesn't have much to offer, but what I meant was that that with full 3D we can't expect ornate and elaborately decorated buildings. If you look closely you won't see any building that isn't rather easy box with roof or another primitive figure. And I somehow doubt it will change much. I'm not saying it will be a bad game, don't get me wrong. But it probably won't be something that will replace SC4 for me. But like what you said: we'll just have to wait and see.

feyss

First, thanks for sharing this.  :thumbsup:

The video looks very attractive... but I will play the pessimist guy here: It's not the first time I hear about a city builder project that looks really good on pictures and videos which become totally disappointing when it is released (like the last Sim City or Cities XL...). So I prefer to be carefully this time and avoid false expectations.

Wait & See  :)

Bipin