• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

My First Game Content for C:S

Started by Mr_Maison, May 08, 2015, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Maison

I finally joined the modding community and released my first game assets....ever! I would like to help bring some more realism to Cities Skylines. These are available on Steam Workshop https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198185148005/myworkshopfiles/
and the STEX

Shady Tree STEX link http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30523-the-shady-tree/  :satisfied:

Version 1.2 is actually available for this one. http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30521-willowtree/

STEX Link http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30514-denns-river-falls/

vester

Looks good.

What about going back and edit your first post, adding some download links under each item ?

noahclem

That first picture in particular looks just great. I really didn't think that game could look like that :D

Mr_Maison

Quote from: vester on May 08, 2015, 10:56:15 AM
Looks good.

What about going back and edit your first post, adding some download links under each item ?
Getting right on it   ;D

EDIT: Done!

Thanks for the positive comments! I just love this community.

art128

That is indeed some great trees! I like the first one a lot.

Nice map too btw. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Mr_Maison

Quote from: art128 on May 08, 2015, 12:04:11 PM
That is indeed some great trees! I like the first one a lot.

Nice map too btw. :)
Thank you! Enjoy!

threestooges

Love the look of the Shady Tree. The Willow looks a bit like a wilting palm tree, but still looks good. Any tips for the would-be tree makers out there?

Mr_Maison

Quote from: threestooges on May 10, 2015, 12:01:13 AM
Love the look of the Shady Tree. The Willow looks a bit like a wilting palm tree, but still looks good. Any tips for the would-be tree makers out there?
Thank you!
I agree about the willow tree. I'm making a new one called "Weeping Willow" that looks much fuller.
This is the look I would like to get. It's a tree I created for rendering in some architech scenes.

It have WAY too many polys for this game so I have to find a balance.

The main thing about making trees like this is that it's very challenging keeping the poly count down and make them realistic. Effecient use of billboards for the leaves and upper-most branches is key. And make your leaf/branches texture as full as possible to give a lot of coverage so your tree will look full with less polygons. I used Xfrog 3.5 to make these.

threestooges

By the way, your shady trees got featured by one of the youtubers I follow in his CS Let's Play. If you look up Keralis on youtube, he used them during his amusement park episode, I believe.

Also, having done basic BATting back in the day for SC4, I remember how much fun it was to wrangle polygons. I can only imagine what that means for CS models. The willow you showed above looks great. I hope you're able to find a decent balance, those would be great to have.

vester

Maybe you should take a look into how to turn the polycount of a high poly model down.

If you have a high poly model, you basic models a model with lower poly count and render the textures from the high poly model to the new model.
Keyword is baking tetures / render to texture.

Here is a video about it by Mike Pickton: Baking normals, AO and more in 3ds Max (render to texture)

EDIT: Stumble over this video: Arrimus 3D : Game Assets - Basic Plant
Not sure if its something you can use or not.

Mr_Maison

Sorry for the long delayed response. Just lost my grandmother so been less active these days. Many things are on hold right now.

Quote from: threestooges on May 16, 2015, 12:17:18 PM
By the way, your shady trees got featured by one of the youtubers I follow in his CS Let's Play. If you look up Keralis on youtube, he used them during his amusement park episode, I believe.
Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea. It's a good feeling seeing that. And he makes me laugh. He call it "The Shady Bush". :laugh:  I will be following him too from now on because he's enjoyable to watch play and listen to.

Quote from: vester on May 16, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
Maybe you should take a look into how to turn the polycount of a high poly model down.

If you have a high poly model, you basic models a model with lower poly count and render the textures from the high poly model to the new model.
Keyword is baking tetures / render to texture.

Here is a video about it by Mike Pickton: Baking normals, AO and more in 3ds Max (render to texture)

EDIT: Stumble over this video: Arrimus 3D : Game Assets - Basic Plant
Not sure if its something you can use or not.
Low poly practices is always useful. Thanks for the links.

Mr_Maison

carlfatal

Very nice trees!  :thumbsup:
And this high poly willow is stunning!