• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Monument Valley

Started by calibanX, May 17, 2009, 06:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calibanX

Welcome to my City Journal chronicling the fictional history and current events of Monument Valley. This journal will focus on my favorite aspect of Sim City, and that is cool pictures of the game presented in an artful way. Comments are of course welcomed. Your criticism is encouraged as well as your kind words. If you see something you would like done differently please speak up. I just might change it per your request. If you have suggestions on how I can improve something please let me know. That's partially what this journal is all about. I've admired many of your journals out there and I'm inspired by them every time I log on. I'll mention some of my inspiration along the way. Some of you may have seen me posting in your journals. I'll also mention the amazingly creative people out there from whom I've downloaded and to whom I owe thanks for hours of enjoyment. And for those who I don't mention, Thank You! I mean no slight. Right off the bat I want to thank Jeronij and all of the talented moderators out there for creating and maintaining such a vibrant community.

Here lies the region of Monument. The first European settlement in this region was near what is now known as the town of Shenandoah Valley. The city is approximately 20 miles (30 km) from downtown Big Fork and straddles the Rock River. Another settlement that fueled early interest in the area was the outpost at Big Fork, which was constructed from 1820 to 1825 at the confluence of the Monument River and the Rock River.

The Fort at the confluence of those two rivers held jurisdiction over the land North and South of the Rock River, thus a town known as Rock River grew along its banks to the South and the city known as Big Fork grew to the North. For several years, the only European resident to live on the South bank of the river was Colonel Edmund D. Peters, who operated a ferry service across the river. With the safety and security the Fort provided new settlers began flocking across to the new village of Rock River. The town grew quickly, and Big Fork and Rock River eventually merged. On the eastern side of Monument River, a few villages such as Arthur's Landing and Kimball's Ferry developed and would soon grow to become the Eastern metropolitan region of the city of Big Fork.

With names such as Spine Ridge, and One-eyed Pete's Peak, trappers and game hunters found bountiful harvests throughout the area. To this day hunters are taken in and cared for by the descendants of original settlers to Shenandoah Valley and the Big Fork area. Lodges are found throughout the numerous small mountain ranges.

Welcome to Spine Ridge Hunting Lodge, a hunting camp for the hunter that expects to receive more from his hunt than to be treated like a number. By traveling a short distance from home, a hunter can leave behind his everyday cares and enjoy nature at its best by matching wits with game in a true wilderness setting. Professional hunters, trappers and guides will assure you an exciting and memorable hunt in the mountains of Monument.

Shenandoah Valley's Mill and lumber industry are connected to its markets via rail and long-haul trucking. In the 'Old Town' section is a still operating cannery. Edward Stuart Mill established the first canning factory in Monument Valley in 1912, using improved tin-plated wrought-iron cans for preserving meats, fruits and vegetables. The main market for the food during this time period was the Army and Navy.

That's an introduction to Monument Valley. Regular updates will be coming soon.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

owlsinger

Looks like a keeper!  :thumbsup:

Very nice pics!

Kendra
'Luminous beings are we..'  - Yoda

'Hints of Gold'
by Jasmine Becket-Griffith

Nexis4Jersey

Looks promising and very detailed  :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

What a stunning start here in Monument Valley, calibanX!

Your maps look fantastic, and the pictures in-game are wonderful, too! I can't wait to follow along as things develop, my friend.

Keep up the great work!

Dustin

BarbarossaS

Superb start of your MD, I'll be following this one closely!  :thumbsup:

-Stijn-

io_bg

Great start, I really like the forest scenes! Can't wait for more!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

sebes

Excellent start. You show some wonderfull fresh pictures here CalibanX :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Simpson

That's a nice start of MD  :thumbsup: Also the city is looking really magnificent  &apls
I'm looking forward to the next update.

Take care,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

calibanX

Kendra: Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm glad you like it.

Nexis4Jersey: Thanks for the vote of confidence.

thundercrack83:
Nice of you to stop by Dustin. I appreciate the enthusiasm. The Commonwealth of Marathon actually introduced me to the lot editor. But with much less success.

BarbarossaS: Thank you for the compliment Stijn. I'm glad to have you join me here.

io_bg: Thanks for the great compliment. There is a lot more to come.

sebes: I appreciate that very much. Thank you.

Simpson: Your kind words are well received. Thank you David.

Shenandoah's earliest industries were fur trading and agriculture. Forestry remains strong, including logging, pulpwood processing and paper production.

Agriculture is Shenandoah's primary industry. While much of the economy of Monument Valley has diversified, Shenandoah Valley has remained largely a rural agricultural community. Culturally and economically Shenandoah has remained much the same for it's roughly 200 year history.

The old business district at the intersection of Main Street and Mable Road. Stop by Maxine and Lester's for the best food around.

The local journal of Monument Valley brings news and events into sharper clarity. Shenandoah's family farms currently suffer from a crisis of generational flight to the cities and corporate invasion. The true calamity though is that the Monument Granite football team seems to be losing its toughness...so to speak.

So long for now.

Geoff

BarbarossaS

Very lovely update, and great use of the STR in pic 2.3
I also like the Monument Journal, it's great to have some background info, really excellent work!  &apls

Keep it up!

-Stijn-

Battlecat

Nice start!  I like the terrain you're using for the region!   That's a pretty nice looking little town you're building there! 

Nexis4Jersey

Reminds of a small town in any rural American Countryside  :)

just_a_guy

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on May 23, 2009, 11:23:07 AM
Reminds of a small town in any rural American Countryside  :)
Exactly!

Nice looking region overall and nice start!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

NASCAR_Guy

wow this is has potential,but I am not clear on something.

What state is this located in?
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

calibanX

BarbarossaS: Thanks for the compliment Stijn. Nice to see you stopping by.

Battlecat: Thank you. More towns to come!

Nexis4Jersey: Exactly what I was going for. Thanks for keeping in touch.

just_a_guy: Thank you very much. Good to see you here just_a_guy.

NASCAR_Guy:
Thanks for stopping NASCAR_Guy. Good question. I've actually made an edit to the introduction in this journal. I've added the word 'fictional'. I haven't the talent nor the patience to recreate an actual city or region. If I remember correctly it was JerseyDevil who created an exact replica of Edmonton, Alberta? This CJ will make reference to its region within the U.S. through the Monument Journal and other news articles. I'll refrain from claiming to be recreating an existing city though. Stay tuned. 

The city of Big Fork began its existence as a fort at the confluence of the Monument and Rock Rivers. Fort Big Fork provided protection along the length of the rivers from the indigenous Indian population. This allowed the area to thrive as a trading center for hunters and trappers. It also served as a jumping off point for settlers moving West across the Appalachian mountains.

The original town hall stands today along the banks of the Rock River overlooking the Tom Brown Bridge. The municipal government of the city of Big Fork has long since moved. The new City Hall is located two miles North.

Happy Memorial Day to all.

Geoff

Battlecat

Nice set of pictures, that's a cool looking Business District.  Nice job of transitioning from highrise buildings through to suburbs! 

antimonycat

I love your forest screens and like how Cannery Row looks exactly like what I imagined a small forest town by a river would look like. The curvyness of the 2 rivers by the Central BUsiness District makes for a great overview too!

calibanX

Battlecat: Thank you for the compliments. Nice to have you here.

antimonycat: Thanks for stopping by. It's great to see you take precious creative time from Endora to visit.

A short ride up scenic Monument River Road brings motorists past the great river that helped build the city of Big Fork.

The Big Fork nuclear generating plant located along the Monument River was built in 1973. It generates 575 MWe of power supplying half of the Big Fork areas power needs.

The first ring suburbs are older and more affordable, and they offer easy access to Downtown Big Fork. In the newer suburbs, there's a population explosion, and more and more old farming communities are slowly becoming part of the metro area.

Thanks. See you all soon!

Geoff

Splime

Wow, this is a great MD! I really like how you used the street curves in your residential neighborhoods, and I like how you plant those trees.

Battlecat

Continuing to look excellent!  It all looks great.  The muddy ponds in the highway interchange are a nice touch, they remind me of storm water detention ponds used in the real world.  The suburban wide angle curves are a great touch as well!