• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glazert

I really like that roundabout interchange. It shows how RHW interchanges will be able to be made relatively compact within the limits of realism.

ivo_su

Maarten I will let you announce officially the most awesome and I think it would be a crime if you do not get karma point for that. Since started, development of NAM 31, this intersection is the most spectacular thing shown to the community.
Your growth is enormous and your potential - limitless. Your skills are comparable with those of Alex and Chrism,  and if the Alex is like a Master Yoda, you are Anakin Skywalker :) I hope that with the help of Alex, you will be able to apply far built three storey intersection to operate in wider networks. Would famed if L-0 can pass an extensive network of NWM. I expect to become more interesting and exciting.

jdenm8

Because of the roundabout's dimensions, it's actually impossible to allow networks larger than 6S through it and still have exits. It was designed to carry 2xRHW-4s and the extra tiles needed by RHW-8S/RHW-6C and above will occupy the space that the exits use. Even RHW-6S will be a squeeze without rebuilding the model.

I have suggested breaking up the roundabout's functionality (like FlexSPUI) so it can be used for a ton of other purposes, like general L0 RHW roundabouts, etc.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

That roundabout was really made for (surprise surprise) Maxis Highways, except that the MHW model is completely replaced with an RHW-based model. It's still MHW in that respect.

It will therefore work specifically for MHW, but considering that RHW-4 can transition to MHW cleanly, it will work for both RHW-4 and RHW-6S, assuming you use D1 ramps when you have 6S.

To accommodate all widths of RHW, you'd need something bigger. Since this is just a giant Roundabout, first let me get into a proposed RA naming scheme:

Quote from: GDO29Anagram
At this very moment, I have a proposed nomenclature for the size and number of lanes for the whole RA itself: RA-(X)-(Y), where X is the diameter of the RA, and Y is the number of lanes. (Hyphens may be omitted, like the FAD's, but they'd like two-digit numbers.)

The constituent tiles that would make the RA itself would be called RATs. Nomenclature for non-connecting pieces (corners, sides, etc) is RAT-(X)-(Y). Nomenclature for "connecting pieces" is (Network name) RAT-(X)-(Y).

Given what already exist in the NAM, they would classify as the following:
- RA-2-1: Two versions already exist in a RUL-2ish fashion: Street and RD-2. Connects to both, and OWR-2. NWM-wise, may theoretically connect to OWR-1. RHW-wise, may theoretically connect to RHW-2.
- RA-3-1: Exists for OWR-2. Connects to Street, RD-2, and OWR. NWM-wise, may theoretically connect to OWR-1, TLA-3, and AVE-2. RHW-wise, may theoretically connect to RHW-2 and MIS.
- RA-4-2: The AVE RA. Connects to AVE-4 and some OWR-2 and RD-2. NWM-wise, may theoretically connect to TLA-5, RD-4, and maybe RD-6 (given RA-4-3 corner pieces). RHW-wise, may theoretically connect to RHW-2, RHW-4, and MIS, unless you want an RHW version of one.

Theoretically,...
- RA-1-1: Probably would connect to only 3-4 Streets. RD-2 version may be viable. 2 would be redundant and 1 makes it look like a cul-de-sac.
- RA-3-2: JD's proposal, designed specifically for ARD-3 connections. [LINK OMITTED] Connects to all the same networks as the RA-3-1. Technically already exists as a TRAM-RA.
- RA-5-2: To take into consideration that some RL RAs are bigger than the 4x4 tile footprint. Perhaps the triple-tiler NWMs can connect to this?

Under that scheme, Maarten's roundabout would be considered an RA-6-2, made specifically for MHW (and RHW); Specific labelling needed still.

Anything to accommodate something like RHW-10S would need to be on the order of a theoretical RHW RA-8-2 Flex-Quadrant, or maybe a 10-2 quadrant piece. Something very close to that already exists and it's called the FlexFly. Have you ever plopped four Flyovers together into a circle and wondered that it looked like a roundabout?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

Quote from: ivo_su on September 08, 2012, 02:12:44 PM
Your growth is enormous and your potential - limitless. Your skills are comparable with those of Alex and Chrism,  and if the Alex is like a Master Yoda, you are Anakin Skywalker :)
I think you mean Luke Skywalker, because Anakin eventually turned evil (Darth Vader)  :D

As said before this interchange will only work for dual tile networks (MHW, AVE-4, RHW-4, RHW-6S and maybe, just maybe, MAVE-4 and MAVE-6). Wider RHWs require different dimensions.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

shanghai kid

Quote from: MandelSoft on September 08, 2012, 10:55:36 AM
^^ Probably. It seems like a pretty basic function.

One another note, I've been busy the past few days working on this....

Wow, it looks like this intersection in Oslo, Norway - "Sinsenkrysset" --> http://maps.google.no/maps?q=sinsenkrysset&hl=no&ll=59.937634,10.784808&spn=0.001328,0.005257&sll=59.939128,10.783457&hnear=Sinsenkrysset&t=k&z=18&iwloc=A <--... I've always had a wish to make it, and now with this i can, without creating tunnels for the North-South road-direction under the RA and West-East road-direction .... except i'd just use RHW 4 and not RHW 6... to make it autentic to my taste, as it's just 4 lanes at "Sinsenkrysset"(like in the pic link) :-D
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

Paul 999

MandelSoft what a great surprise. Looks very compact and realistic!

Perhaps you can make some stop signs (dutch, haaien tanden) on the texture on the entree to the roundabout.

Durfsurn

Probably old news but are there gonna be A1-D1 ramps for all the new network levels (MIS-RHW-12 {All levels 0-4})?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Durfsurn on September 09, 2012, 04:55:12 AM
Probably old news but are there gonna be A1-D1 ramps for all the new network levels (MIS-RHW-12 {All levels 0-4})?

No. There will be A1, B1, D1, and E1 ramps. Remember what happened with the ramp system? It was changed so that the E and F ramps (FARHW ramps) from the old scheme became the C1 and F1. C1 and F1 ramps for all other height levels implies having FARHW for elevated networks, which currently doesn't exist. For the record, it was me who proposed the original ramp changes.

Additionally, think about this: All network widths will be receiving L1 and L2 variations, with only three of the widths receiving L3 and L4. L3 and L4 was more designed to pass over everything else, so that (in my opinion) the chances of having L4 ramps is rather small, especially since the number of L4 networks is also rather small.
<INACTIVE>
-----

ivo_su

I wonder whether Ganaram has undertaken the creation of a new periodic(RHW) table. I guess all the new nomenclature will be quite long and confusing. I would love to see this visually with colors - as before. I propose to name the new ramps will be L-x and will appear as L-2 RHW-6C-B2
For me there is a huge uncertainty which platforms will support multi levels. Is the only types A and B, or all, if just  version 1 or a version 2.

Haljackey

Quote from: ivo_su on September 09, 2012, 12:09:36 PM
I wonder whether Ganaram has undertaken the creation of a new periodic(RHW) table.
For me there is a huge uncertainty which platforms will support multi levels. Is the only types A and B, or all, if just  version 1 or a version 2.

This is his latest creation: http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9320/rhwptoep57ver1.png

And as others have said, great work Maarten! Ploppable RHW interchanges have been a long time coming, that's for sure!

GDO29Anagram

There is a small error with that chart in that I mislabelled the RHW-2 F1 ramp as being available, when it isn't.

As of height variations, there may be potential issues when you get to certain ramps, such as elevated versions of the 8S D1 ramp. That currently isn't accounted for, and I honestly don't expect for any ramp interfaces to be greater than L2, except with the exception of DDRHW, in which it will have L3 ramps.

In other words, it's just L0, L1, and L2 receiving ramp interfaces, with L3 only intended to go over everything else, which is the intention of having L3 and L4 networks for only three different network widths. Unless I go full-blown OCD (when I already have bronchitis) over the small error I have, I will not be revising my chart anytime soon, until the release of NAM 31 and there are new ramp interfaces available to warrant such an update.

Also, it's not exactly a full-fledged prefab that Maarten's got. It's a prefab that's in pieces. Does it go against the zero-prefab philosophy of RHW development? Not if it's in pieces.

Plus, if you were to count how big that thing is, you'll find that it exceeds the 16x16 puzzle piece size limit. For those playing at home, a puzzle piece is given the IID format of 0x5PNNNXYZ, with P being the project number (which would be 7 for RHW), NNN being the network and piece ID, X and Y being the X/Y positions of the puzzle piece's individual tiles, and Z being the zoom level. Since this is all in Hexadecimal, that means the largest possible puzzle pieces would be 256 tiles, spanning a 16x16 square.

The sheer size, as with the size restrictions, is enough to say no to prefabs, though the 6x6 roundabout piece (remember, it's an RA-6-2) can be modular enough for certain network widths, up to RHW-4 and potentially 6S. Everything else comes in in the form of height transitions and ramp interfaces, and that's why RHW is so modular.

Think of Lego pieces.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

More progress . . .

Edit: and even more . . .

-Alex

vinlabsc3k

Excellent work to all RHW Dev!!  &apls &apls &apls
@Maarten: I concord with Ganaram, it's less dangerous and most useful a 6x6 or 8x8 tiles  FlexFly Roundabout.
I've a question: Is planned, after NAM31, to make other elevated networks (i.e.: rd, ave, rail, el-rail) at L-1? ()what()
Sorry if already asked!! &ops
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Tarkus

There are indeed plans for more L1 networks across the board, and there's even been some sporadic work on that.  SA showed some in the NAM: Development thread a couple months back.

Back to the RHW front, it continues . . .

-Alex

noahclem

Always great to see more project progress around here  &apls

sim_link

Haven't popped into this thread for a while. They progress you are making is amazing... the multi-height will definitely come in handy. The options would be... awesome. ;D

wschmrdr

The progress thus far is just incredible. It makes me almost want to re-create the High Five. Keep up the great work, but most of all, I, as I'm sure others are as well, am awaiting patiently for a high quality product.

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

DAB_City

Seeing the progress you guys are making is great, I can't wait! I'm still reading the various SimCity forums from time to time, but with my free time decreasing (school exams, and I mean a LOT!), something's got to give. I'm having to decide whether to play Minecraft with my friends, carry on with SimCity 4, invest in SimCity 5 and related upgrades or something else...  &Thk/(
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/