• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 37 Now Available!

Started by Tarkus, July 02, 2020, 06:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

The NAM Team is pleased to announce the official public release of the 37th edition of the Network Addon Mod, NAM 37.

Note that, if you are coming from NAM 36 or earlier, this version has major, substantial changes in terms of file architecture and installation procedure.

NAM 37 marks the official introduction of the NAM's new cross-platform Java-based installer, designed by daeleyPlease ensure that you have the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed.

Download Link
SC4D LEX (Cross-Platform)

Release Notes
Note that the NTCore 4GB Patch is REQUIRED if using this mod on a system with 4GB RAM or more, and due to the installer change, is no longer installed by default. Failure to patch the game accordingly may cause Crash-to-Desktop (CTD) errors. The patch can be found inside the download, or downloaded directly from NTCore here, where further instructions on use of the patch can be found. Also due to this installer change, the NAM Controller Compiler is no longer run as part of the installation process. All users will be initially given a full NAM Controller, which has a substantial size. Users not using all features wishing to have a smaller controller can still run the Controller Compiler manually, as it is available in the download.

The NAM is also now using a Java-based installer, designed by daeley, which is cross-platform (meaning no more separate Mac versions, and Linux support without WINE). As such, the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is now REQUIRED to run the NAM installer. It was previous recommended for users wishing to utilize the NAM Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool (TSCT). The JRE can be downloaded from Oracle here.

With the new installer, the old NAM installation is no longer removed automatically, so users should manually remove the "Network Addon Mod" and "z___NAM" folders from their Plugins directory. It is recommended, particularly with this Release Candidate, that you back those folders up in a location that is not in your Plugins folder. The "z___NAM" folder has been eliminated, and all files are now installed to the "Network Addon Mod" directory.

The RealRailway (RRW) standard for Rail is now the default and only option. The original Maxis Rail specification will be supported via a Legacy Plugin, downloaded separately. Also note that a number of cosmetic-oriented NAM plugins, such as the El-Rail Alternate Implementation, the Bullet Train Mod, and some advanced texture options (largely deprecated) have been removed from the installer. The Alternate El-Rail and BTM will be made available separately. Please note that, much like Maxis Rail, these Plugins are effectively in "Legacy" status, and may not be actively maintained or supported by the NAM Team going forward. Both the original Maxis Highways (MHW) and the "Maxis Highway Override/Project Symphony" (MHO) remain available.

The Station Locator, Updater, and Reconstruction Project (SLURP) is also no longer handled by the new installer. A scaled down version of the old installer will be made at a later date to handle SLURP routines. Users wishing to retain SLURPed stations should retrieve them from the "z___NAM\Mass Transit Lots\Station Overrides" folder in their existing NAM installation, where they will be found in the "Mass Transit Lots" subfolder. Note that users running the 64-bit version of SimCity 4 on macOS may wish to refrain from retrieving SLURP stations, as there have been some encoding issues with stations that cause that version of the game to CTD.

The new installer also no longer performs a version check. Please note, however, that for Windows users, Version 1.1.638 and above are still required, as Versions 1.1.610 and 1.1.613 have notable instabilities that may have a significant negative impact on the use of this mod. Copies purchased from the Origin Store may still not meet this requirement, and support will not be offered to users with "unofficial" copies of the game.

Features List

• The NAM has switched over to a new Java-based installer designed by daeley, with cross-platform support for any operating system that supports
    the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
  • The RealHighway (RHW) system has undergone a massive code overhaul ("Mark IV"), greatly improving stability, especially in compact situations.  Diagonal x Diagonal (DxD) crossings (grade-separated) between wider RHW networks should now be possible in most situations.
  • The RealRailway (RRW) system is now the default (and only) option for the Rail network.  Users wishing to retain the original Maxis Railshould download the separate Maxis Rail Legacy Plugin, when it becomes available.
  • Various cosmetic/legacy plugins, such as the Bullet Train Mod (BTM) and El-Rail Alternate Implementation, are no longer directly available within the main NAM download, due to crosslink and support issues.  They will be available as separate downloads, as Legacy Plugins with no guarantee of support or further upgrades.
  • An initial basic version of the RealExpressway (REW) mod is now available.
  • A pathing issue affecting intersections with the Diagonal Streets Plugin, dating back to NAM 20 (!) has now been fixed (thanks to McDuell).
  • RRW Fractional Angle and FlexTrack switch content can now be constructed using easier-to-use FLEX Pieces, rather than memorizing drag/draw patterns.  Some limited Fractional Angle elevated support is now available.
  • The Road-based Single-Tile and Dual-Tile Network Widening Mod (NWM) networks now support Multi-Radius Curves (MRCs).  For the single-tile networks, override the base Road MRCs with the appropriate NWM network to convert them, and use the dedicated pieces for the dual-tile versions (the RD-6 uses an override of the TLA-5 version--place Road stubs to fill in the "bites" on the RD-6 R4 curve).
  • L3 and L4 FLEXFly pieces are now available for the RHW.
  • RHW FlexSPUI has been redesigned, with improved support for the current array of RHW networks.  Support for L0 and L2 is present (use the legacy TuLEP OnSlope to connect to the L2 version).
  • Orthogonal TLA-3 and AVE-2 connections to the One-Way Road Roundabouts are now supported.
  • Three new RHW FLEXRamps are now supported: Type D1-Inside (RHW-4 base), Type E1-Inside (RHW-4 base), and Type D1-Inside Dual Shift (RHW-6C base).
    Additionally, L1 and L2 support has been added to the Type A2 ramps for the RHW-8C and RHW-10S networks, and the L1 and L2 versions of the RHW-3 network now support Type A1 and B1 ramps.
  • Various "tidal flow"-related pathing issues with the Draggable Elevated One-Way Road Viaducts have been addressed.
  • File encoding issues with certain NAM files that have been known to cause crash-to-desktop (CTD) errors with Aspyr's new 64-bit macOS port of SimCity 4 (currently just the App Store version) have been fixed.
  • A new bridge has been added for the NWM's NRD-4 network.

Changes since the NAM 37 Release Candidate of 23/24 April 2020

• The new FlexSPUI V2 now works properly in LHD mode.
  • Drag pattern interference between the new draggable Road Small 90° Curve and the Road Long FA3 (71.6°) curve has been eliminated.
  • Issues with various RHW and NWM bridges have been addressed, including the RHW-4 Small Steel Arch, the RHW-6S Concrete Arch Dual, and the NRD-4 Thru Truss.  The accidentally-omitted
    DDRHW-4 bridge has also (again) be re-added.
  • Missing textures/paths on some RHW T-intersections involving diagonals have been addressed.
  • New draggable Road curves (Small 90° and Small S) have received Euro texture support.
  • Issues involving the L1 RHW-8C crossings over Avenue have been addressed.
  • Pathing for the RHW-3-to-ARD-3 transition has been fixed.
  • The texture for the OWR-3 x OWR-2 +-intersection has been rotated to the correct direction.
  • Tidal flow issues with the Slip Lane functionality, causing paths to not function in certain directions (esp. in LHD) have been fixed.
  • Various Euro texture issues with the RHW-8C Type D1 ramp have been fixed.
  • The OWR-1-to-MIS transition has been fixed.
  • Avenue-to-MIS transitions have been fixed.
  • Both US and EU textures for the RHW-6C and 8C Type D1 Dual Shift Inside FLEXRamp have been fixed.
  • Various fixes have been made to the RealRailway (RRW) network.
  • Pathing fixes have been made to the draggable Wide-Radius Curve (WRC)/Multi-Radius Curve (MRC) and Fractional Angle (FA) functionality.
  • TLA Center Turn Arrow cosmetic mod now installed as option under Texture and Drive Side options, fixing previous file architecture issues.
  • Mac-only issues with GHSR network showing Monorail supports have been fixed.
  • Some INRUL-based issues with the RRW FlexTrack system have been addressed, particularly with the J2 Turnout (Ortho-to-FARR-1.33/1.5).  Note that these changes have altered the availability of some drag patterns, and clicking on some existing switches may break them.  Such switches will need to be rebuilt using their FLEX Piece equivalent.
  • Note that no new features have been added since the NAM 37 Release Candidate.  Addition of new content will resume with NAM 38 development.

Installation

When one initially opens the NAM package after downloading, there will be several items present, besides the document you are now reading: the installer itself is NetworkAddonMod_Setup_Version37.jar

4gb_patch.exe is the NTCore 4GB Patch, the Controller Compiler folder contains the NAM Controller Compiler, the Documentation is loose in the folder (and in the "feature-guides", "images", and "old" folders--this has not been substantially updated since NAM 36, but will receive updates for the finalized NAM 37 release), and the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool folder, which contains the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool (TSCT).</p>

NetworkAddonMod_Setup_Version37.jar is the NAM Installer, which you will need to run to install the NAM.  If User Access Control (UAC) is enabled on your system, Windows may ask you to approve running the file with a simple "Yes"/"No" prompt.  Click "Yes" to allow the installer to run.

In order to progress through the installer, simply click on each tab.  Note that the license agreement must be agreed to before subsequent tabs can be accessed.  The "Cleanup" tab (under "Setup") allows one to remove any residual files from old NAM releases, and pre-NAM transit mods that might cause conflicts, and is loaded with the old Cleanitol list that shipped with NAM 36.

Special Note to macOS Users
Due to some change Aspyr made with the new 64-bit update to the macOS version of SimCity 4, the process for cycling through TAB Rings/Menu Icons has changed.  In order to progress through the entire ring (without inexplicable skipping), use Ctrl-TAB instead of TAB to cycle forward, and Shift-Ctrl-TAB instead of Shift-TAB to cycle in reverse.

Upgrading from a Previous Version

If you are upgrading from a previous version of the NAM, MANUALLY MOVE YOUR OLD NAM INSTALLATION OUT FROM YOUR PLUGINS FOLDER, INTO A SAFE LOCATION (note that this has changed from previous NAM releases).  The NAM installer can no longer detect your previous installation options by reading the existing folder structure.  It is recommended that you check your existing installation, to determine which features you presently have installed.

Generally speaking, the NAM Team makes every effort to ensure that new versions at least retain some form of "legacy support", such that cities built with any previous NAM version will continue to function well with the latest version.

If you have consolidated your NAM files using a tool such as SC4DatPacker or JDatPacker, please read the note in the "Read First" document, which is also attached to this post.

This release is dedicated to David Edgren (dedgren) and his family--we wish you the best.

And thank you to all the members of the SC4 community for their patience, through this record-long development cycle, and for the continued support of the NAM Team, now in its 16th year of operation!

-The NAM Team

Durfsurn

Thanks to everyone involved for getting this one out! Here's to a fresh release cycle faster than this one!

TJ1

Really cool, my first login in months and the newest nam is released lol. Super excited but the installation process is super confusing  ()what() Even with the readme im lost. UPDATE: My copy of SC4 is different which is why it was confusing. But I have it working now.

Tarkus

IIRC, you're on a Mac, TJ1?  If you're on the App Store version of the macOS port, you'll have to manually move everything over to the right spot once it's installed--and unfortunately, I'm a little fuzzy on the details as to where/how.  It works out of the box with the Steam version of the macOS port (the version to which I have access).

-Alex

AsimPika3172

Thanks for update as well I buy a new PC just few days or weeks before this program was updated!  :D
I loves Sim City forever!

TJ1

Quote from: Tarkus on July 03, 2020, 05:02:34 PM
IIRC, you're on a Mac, TJ1?  If you're on the App Store version of the macOS port, you'll have to manually move everything over to the right spot once it's installed--and unfortunately, I'm a little fuzzy on the details as to where/how.  It works out of the box with the Steam version of the macOS port (the version to which I have access).

-Alex

Im on MacOS and a PC I figured out what the issue was. It was a few manual things I had to do but everything is working perfectly now.

deanva

I have read on another website that the retail version of SimCity4 deluxe is not compatible. When Windows 10 came out and they had an update that no longer allowed the CD disc to work I was able to get a free digital version. So I take it the NAM 37 will not work for me?

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: deanva on July 08, 2020, 05:26:52 PM
I have read on another website that the retail version of SimCity4 deluxe is not compatible. When Windows 10 came out and they had an update that no longer allowed the CD disc to work I was able to get a free digital version. So I take it the NAM 37 will not work for me?
It depends on where you bought it. Digital downloads from Amazon and GOG.com should include the correct version of the game's .exe, while those bought on Origin are unlikely to be the correct version. The only way to be sure is to check the version number of your SimCity 4.exe by navigating to the folder that contains your install, going in to the "Apps" subfolder, right-clicking the file labeled "SimCity 4" (or "SimCity 4.exe" if you have filename extensions set to visible), clicking on the "Properties" option, and switching to the "Details" tab in the window that appears. If the version number listed there is 1.1.638 or above, you'll be able to install NAM 37.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

deanva

Ok I just found which version I have 1.1.641.0 thanks for your reply. I got my digital copy from Origin just to let you know guess I am one of the lucky players.

deanva

Is the Plugins Directory mentioned by Tarus above, the same as the Plugins folder?

metarvo

Quote from: deanva on July 08, 2020, 07:14:18 PM
Is the Plugins Directory mentioned by Tarus above, the same as the Plugins folder?

Yes.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

deanva

One thing I have noticed that after installing NAM 37 that all my avenue intersections that intersected another avenue had to be redone and saved.

Tarkus

Quote from: deanva on July 09, 2020, 05:04:34 PM
One thing I have noticed that after installing NAM 37 that all my avenue intersections that intersected another avenue had to be redone and saved.

If you by chance had the Legacy Avenue Turn Lanes plugin (the one with the auto turn lanes) and didn't choose to reinstall it with NAM 37, you'd probably get blank tiles and have to redraw.  That isn't new to NAM 37.

-Alex

deanva

Never heard of the Legacy turn lanes and how would I choose to reinstall it with NAM 37? Perhaps it is called something else, but the turn lanes automatically appeared before installing Nam 37.

Tarkus

The Legacy Avenue Turn Lanes are basically the old Avenue Turn Lanes that, as you mentioned, appear automatically.  All the old "auto" turn lane plugins are considered deprecated by the NAM Team (which is why they're "Legacy" now), since that functionality has been found to interfere with other features.  I believe it may have been changed from being installed by default to not being installed by default, however, so you would either need to do the rebuild of those intersections as you've described, or specifically select that box on installation.

-Alex

deanva

I reinstalled NAM37 checked the box you were talking about finally got it to work thanks for the assist Tarkus (Alex).

figui

i can't get the type A1 or B1 transition for diagonal RHW6S. the preview shows ok but when placed the intersection disappears. 
it works fine with diagonal RHW4
()what()
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Tyberius06

Hi Figui!

Could you share image about the issue? Thanks!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mgb204

I think this is because the LText (Item Description) of the FlexRamp piece states the Diagonal A1/B1 ramps work with most RHW networks. I've a feeling that only RHW4 support had currently been added for diagonals. Therefore it could just be an incorrect text being displayed.

I'm also getting issues with the FlexRamp D1 Dual Shift Inside for both 6C / 8C textures, using EU LHD (see attached)

Tarkus

The Diagonal RHW-6S does not support any ramp interfaces at present.  They have been in development, and at one point were slated for inclusion in NAM 37, but were shelved.  There will probably be a future NAM release (not NAM 38) dedicated almost entirely to adding more RHW diagonal ramp support.  It's only RHW-2 and RHW-4 at this point, though.

As far as the D1 Dual Shift Inside . . . that one's been a textural pain in the rear for awhile.  Fixed it once during testing, and it appears I still need to adjust it a little more.

-Alex