• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BuildingUp and Out: Building Up's Journal (Update: 3-12-2010)

Started by BuildingUp, December 19, 2009, 04:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emgmod

Quote from: BuildingUp on February 18, 2010, 12:40:27 PM
emgod: Thanks for the comment. :)
That is probably the most common misspelling of my username.

I'm imagining a few small suburbs surrounding that town, along with a few farms. Can't wait to see the city built.

BuildingUp

antimonycat: Yeah I was pretty happy with that effect, too! Thank you! :)
emgmod: Yeah, sorry about that friend. :) Thanks!
Tomas Neto: Thanks man! :)

Update time. :)

In 2010 a fire raged through sections of the city of Ruli. At first it was unknown what the cause could be, but eventually it was found out that arsonists who were mad at the government started the blazes. 13 people were arrested in connection with the fires but damage costs were sky high.

BuildingUp

sumwonyuno

Oh, wow!  The shoreline of Zone Lake looks really smooth!

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

BuildingUp

sumwonyuno: Yeah, is it unrealistic though? I'm trying to experiment with it. Thanks for the comment! :)

I realize these updates are not as large as usual, I apologize. Here's one last small update.

By the way that should read Ruli 2010, not Zone City. Zone City isn't even close to being near 50,000 people.

ecoba

I'm liking the photoshopping in the last couple of teasers. You've certainly gotten a nice variety of buildings to grow in your cities. And, that fire looks like it was terrible. But, it is nice to see that my favourite house BAT (the orange one by Matt with the pool, in the lower left.) is still standing.

Ethan

Battlecat

Ouch!  Quite the fire there.  Nice pair of urban shots in the last couple updates as well!  That shoreline looks pretty good for a start and the surrounding area looks excellent!  There's a very nice mix of trees and grasses in there already.

The smoothness of the transparent water on the shoreline can be broken up effectively with some of the Rural RP foliage items, particularly any of the plant controllers that have tall models like the reed grass and the bulrushes.  The nice thing is that those textures can overlap and poke through the transparent plopable water.  Rocks that have models large enough to poke through the water texture also break up the smoothness. 

Hope that helps, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your efforts with plopable water! 

sumwonyuno

No, not at all (to being unrealistic).  I've seen those kinds of shorelines when the water level is much higher or much lower than usual.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

BuildingUp

Replies to comments coming soon! :)

Here's something else I've been working on, rural farm lands in Zone City.

ecoba

I'm liking that picture. Zone City seems it could turn out to be very interesting.

Also, noticing this throughout your MD, please, if you need to post again, edit your prior posts, as progression through the MD sections is based on post count. You don't have to go back and edit the prior ones, just try to do it in the future. I know that I'm hardly the one to be talking, but it is one of the MD rules.

Ethan  :)

canyonjumper

Some great pics here lately! Great work!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

BuildingUp

ecoba: Sorry about that, I'll make sure to start doing that. Thanks for the comment! :)
canyonjumper: Thank you! :)

There is a west side to Zone City that is mostly (so far) suburban neighborhoods.

Here's an example of what I've got so far;

And something extra;

BuildingUp

Another update on Zone City's progress so far;

As you can see I'm working on the neighborhoods.

And a shot near the biggest hospital on the tile;

emgmod

I'm not sure if all those roads are needed. They seem like they could be downgraded to streets. I like the neighborhoods.

Battlecat

Great work as always!  Those suburban neighborhoods all look excellent!

canyonjumper

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

BuildingUp

emgmod: I don't think so either, but I get a lot of job zots if I don't keep them as roads. Thanks for the comment! :)
Battlecat: Thank you! :)
canyonjumper: Thanks man! :)

Here's a teaser from Ruli;

dafiden

Interesting stuff here.  I like your use of the grid, i.e. not quite symetric.  The building placement seems realistic, too.  Do you mostly plop or grow?  Oh, what is that five-story commerical office / apartment building with left side red and right side tan from reply #198?