• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingstingsting

:)

David, thanks for the edit to my post! Great welcome it was to both SC4D and 3RR. I must thank Jonathan aka warrior (are you here "$Deal"$ ?), for if not for him, I would not have at all set my simcity-weary eyes upon this gold nugget of an MD/CJ. Interesting that a comment on a HSRP forum on simtropolis leads me far away to somewhere btw minnesota and manitoba  ;D

I'm still trying to suss things out here lol. I am whatyoumightcall a "lurker" (at least not a "stranger" as I was somewhere else. ahem..). You know, dl stuff from the lex/stex, play, read some forums and read some CJs but nth more. But after reading up to page 122 (ONLY page 122) of this marvellous pc of fictional non-fiction (haha!), the enormous guilt dawned upon me that I have long been living off the enormous efforts of you as well as dozens and dozens more of your contemporaries. I mean, we lurkers know we are parasites (eek.) but to read a chronicle like this.. Ah.. Years of your hard work with the MD. Juggling with RL. And a lawyer. And who flies here and there. And a lovely family to take care of. Its more than commendable. I reckon you should get a wiki too lol.

Plus, I quote you;

"We own it. We don't have to ask anyone's permission to do this.  We don't have to pay anyone for this.  We have hundreds of thousands of collected hours of acquired knowledge that lets us do almost anything we want to with it."

That's to me 3 very moving sentences, though I very certainly cannot call myself one of you. Kudos and keep up the good work EVERYONE (yeah everyone else included!). Lurkers like me may not always acknowledge you but we are deepinourhearts ever grateful for your efforts, spirit and time spent to in turn enrich us.

And I also wanna apologise for saying your MD is the next big thing after the NAM. A little ignorance (though certainly not outofplace) there as looking at just a few pics, I assumed you guys were only focused on STR, FARR an FAR. My my my. Was I wrong.. Valleys, Falls, Streams, Rivers (and an extradetailed thesis on different river sizes too), Maps, Topographies, Trees, countless Explanations and History, and the list goes on and on! David you surprised me time and time again. Just WOW.

So to cap off this rly long post (sorry!), I just wanna say that I will most definitely absolutely be visiting your diary again, and very soon!

Cheers.
From Ash, somewhere faraway.

PS.
That one pic you had with the 'consolidated' track switch and the transition to STR; very very awesome. I'm a great fan of rail. And I just see so much possibilities for those puzzle pieces. Hehe :D

superhands

gees... i can recall the day in the 1990's when i first experienced sc2000 at a mates house.
from that point on it was easy to see the potential.

somethings never change. isn't this the same train that maxis put into sc4?¿

Tarkus

David, you are really going to town on those puzzle pieces now!  It's always good to see another transit modder among us. :)

Quote from: dedgren on November 02, 2008, 09:46:33 PM

almost six years out, we, the user community, own pretty much all to ourselves the best urban/rural simulation that has ever or, within the foreseeable future, will ever be made.

We own it. We don't have to ask anyone's permission to do this.  We don't have to pay anyone for this.  We have hundreds of thousands of collected hours of acquired knowledge that lets us do almost anything we want to with it.

We own SC4.  We will see no better game replace it.

Those are my thoughts exactly . . . and the reason why I think that whatever happens with the city simulation genre in the future, SC4 will continue to be the premier city simulator for years to come.  I'm amazed at what all has been accomplished in the past, what all we're currently accomplishing, and the potential for future additions--and all without any assistance from the game's developer.  That's irreplaceable. 

I hope everything is alright with the boys, too.

-Alex

nerdly_dood

Puzzle pieces... Don'tcha love 'em? :D

Keep on truckin! (Whether or not your truck runs on rails or roads, that doesn't matter)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Darmok

I totally agree with Tarkus, and you for that matter, this game is ours... thanks to dreamers, creators, batters, lotters and downright crazy people who put their heart and soul into this labor of love.
The developpers who will try to improve on SC4 (as it is with ALL the new mods) are in trouble, I doubt that they will have the budget to create something better!

This is a great game!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

abcvs

That opps pic with the road joined to the rail line, got me thinking...

Now here is a STR puzzle piece thought...  Single Track Road Rail Bridge...  would this be possible? To get a functional road/rail bridge in the game?  If the game can cope with a level crossing is there some way to fool it into thinking that a longer road rail bridge is just an extra large railway crossing?

Dunno... but it is a tantalising idea!

These type of bridges are relatively common in NZ rural areas.

j-dub

Thats worse than sharing a train in the middle of a street in a neighborhood, which also exists, but I don't know about the load rail crossing noise when it passes.

Gaston

Quote from: abcvs on November 03, 2008, 06:36:44 PM
That opps pic with the road joined to the rail line, got me thinking...

Now here is a STR puzzle piece thought...  Single Track Road Rail Bridge...  would this be possible? To get a functional road/rail bridge in the game?  If the game can cope with a level crossing is there some way to fool it into thinking that a longer road rail bridge is just an extra large railway crossing?
These type of bridges are relatively common in NZ rural areas.

These are some wicked kool bridges, but unfortunately I don't think they'd work.   I remember reading that you can't have 2 networks occupying the same space.    Maybe I am wrong, I sure hope I am.   ::)
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

sim-al2

The words "suicide lane" come to mind. I don't think even walking across those is safe...  :o

So...  who came up with that anyway!?
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

MassHelper

That is crazy (combining rail with roads)

Note: A recipe for disaster for sure

:) Mass
SC4 Modders' Assistant and Adviser

Dark_Jedi06

Oh the humanity! &cry2

The sheer brilliance of it all astounds me every time I enter this thread, and always leaves me with a renewed desire to shun studying and return to SC4. ;D ;D
...this space to be filled soon...

dedgren

Just time for a pic today.

We're down here another day- a few glitches in our boy's transition today.  That's kind of kept the production of these down, as the ones like this take a while.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

oooooh my wow David stunning!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Well, David!

If you only had time for one picture today--that's a heck of a picture for it to be!

Sorry to hear there were some trouble with the transition, my friend. I hope that everything works out.

Take care,

Dustin

dedgren

Oh, here's another before bed...

I mean, haven't you just always wanted to be able to do this?

G'night.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Toichus Maximus

to answer your question...HELL YES!  &apls

abcvs

Quote from: sim-al2 on November 03, 2008, 07:58:09 PM
The words "suicide lane" come to mind. I don't think even walking across those is safe...  :o

So...  who came up with that anyway!?

An accountant.   ::)

It is simply cheaper to build one bridge over a river than two separate ones, especially in isolated rural areas where there might only be a couple of trains a day.  New Zealand has lots of rivers and building a railway in our mountainous country is an expensive exercise.  Actually these days rail is more likely to be pulled up than laid down.  With better roads many branch provincial lines simply ceased to be economic.  

One lane road bridges are also still quite common on our provincial roads.

Wow you are still pumping out the good David...  do you dream about this stuff...  sometimes I dream about single road tiles if I have been doing a lot of flattening...  &Thk/(

bwatterud

I don't know if I wanted to before, but I sure do now!

Youcefk69

Congratulations ! It's awesome  :thumbsup:

deathtopumpkins

*pictures that junction with STR*

^I think then it just might be better... though I have always wanted to do that as it is.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores