• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Roodbos

Started by DarkLoki, March 03, 2009, 06:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Nice choice of the region map there! And nice work on your MD! Great start, too!
The pictures are really nice! :thumbsup:

DarkLoki

carkid1998 - Those tracks are part of the street addon mod (SAM). Glad you like the latest update ()stsfd()
Battlecat - Well the str is supposed to work with the sam, I think I even have seen images of it but when I cross the road the road disappears and the str will default to the normal rail again.
bat - Thank you, glad you agree about the region map.

Here is a teaser for you  :D

Battlecat

Looking good there.  The logged areas stand out quite nicely.  I like that small hill by the river, it's got a nice shape to it.  Nice terraforming! 

Yup, the SAM and the STR are theoretically supposed to work together, but so far only with the light colored dirt roads, gravel roads and the black ashphalt roads.  I think there aren't any textures for the rest of the crossings yet.   Also, there was a glitch in the initial release where there weren't any paths through the crossing in any direction but that should be corrected by the file in the post I linked earlier. 

DarkLoki

Battlecat - Thank you, I was inspired from satalite images from British Columbia, there are clearcuts everywhere there. It is indeed a great map, the hills will look cool when they are the only green area's in the city. ;D

Update 4
As you can tell from the previous teaser the harvesting of the trees was coming along nicely around the town, in this picture you can see them at work right now:

The trees have to be transported over the logging roads:

The only problem is that these logging roads are a muddy mess. It are these roads that are now slowing the progress of the village down. It was clear that a new approach was needed. It was deceided to completely reorganize the logistics of the logging operations. Starting with improving the port, as you know the old port is located near shallow waters and does not allow the use of big ships. That is not very economical so it a new port in deeper waters was needed.

As you can see on the following picture there are deeper waters to be found a litte bit to the east:

By dredging out the bottom of the sea to make it even deeper, mud is optained that can be used for a small land reclamation:

Moving the goods to the new port would no longer take place over the logging roads but over a railway line, the first simple line going north is shown in this picture:

Because of the low density of Verzand it was not a big problem to guide the railway trough the village: (note the first case of asphalt use in the region ;))

Between the village and the new port lies the farm we have seen some updates back, so the new rail has to cross it:

Now we enter the new port, firstly a massive new sawmill has been constructed, the trains simply drop the loggs in the pond and take off again.

The new factory (i just notice the bug with the trees  :D) really is al lot bigger then the old one and will probably last for a long time. Finished wood is again loaded on a train for a short trip to the docks:

A view of the new port, plenty of room for big ships:

The village of Verzand is obviousely profiting from these new developments and is growing a lot again more wealthy people are moving to Roodbos, the village even opened it's first park:

And a school:

Let's finish with the first ever overview picture of Verzand and surroundings:

Hope you like ;D

FrankU

Yup, DarkLoki,

I like it a lot. Nice story, good detail. It makes me eager to know how Verzand goes on.  &apls

Maybe you could consider to use the PEG-Swamper No rail dirt mod. I am not sure if it works with the STR, but if yes, you will get rid of the dirt on places like along the house next to the railwaycrossing on the sixth picture.
Maybe it would be comfortable if you numbered the pictures!

Battlecat

Coming along nicely!  The whole development is starting to look excellent.  With the rate those trees are coming down, the region is going to need some new industries soon! 

carkid1998

lovely new port! Obviously the posher sims have realised the brilliance of your village (a town soon though) But it won't be long until theres no trees
Sendona... Coming soon!

sebes

He DarkLodi, this is a great MD that you started there.

The Verzand settlement is very realistic - first landing  just possible on a river bank, and than later those great first ports and the timber mills. (the milktower is a very dutch invention - I like the concept!).
Also the new port and the extenstion in Roodboos look realy cool....

Excellent job my friend  :thumbsup:

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Nexis4Jersey

That town reminds me , of a 1880s Midwestern town  $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:

Sciurus

Nice, but I don't really like the roads you used, it remind the country, while it's a village, and I think villages have tarmaced roads ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *