• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Reddonquixote's Melbourne BAT Thread

Started by reddonquixote, April 05, 2015, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

These are coming along excellently  &apls  Loving the autumn foliage and also the silver/gray bark on the trees. The shade of green on the summer foliage appears well within the norms of the nicest SC4 trees and from the look of it you could make it even a little brighter still if you think that'd be more in line with the look you're seeking. The scale of leaves within SC4 varies considerably but imho a little smaller on the leaves might be nice.

No need to be modest about your trees btw  $%Grinno$%

vortext

Looking very nice indeed, they are a good fit both in terms of modelling and colors!  &apls

Quote from: reddonquixote on April 16, 2015, 08:03:30 PM
I'm very flattered you would take any interest in my poor-cousin trees when there's already such an amazing assortment of trees available.  :D

Well thing is, there're simply never enough trees! Never I tell you!  ;D  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

cmdp123789

Fantastic work as always.. good to have you here too! although, my question is... no more simtropolis for you?

reddonquixote

Thanks everyone :)

Figui - Not a bad idea actually  :thumbsup:
Noah - Yeah, I was wondering about the scale as well. These trees do have large leaves, but these might be just a bit too large. Seeing as the colour is pretty good now I'll work on the model some more. I don't love that branch that hangs down, its too distinguishable, any repetitive use of this tree would be too noticeable I think.
Vortext:D Noted!
cmdp - Hi! Yeah, I'm only boycotting the exchange  :P

So I leave props and trees for a bit and revamp another old BAT. 530 Collins Street was the 8th BAT I made, and two things I hated after the release were the over saturated colour of the base, and the nightlights. The nightlights looked pretty good in the Max render, but didn't translate well into the game.

So, this is pretty much the same model but with new textures, however I did do some substantial changes to the base, and fixed up some modeling on the tower roof. I also imported the Rialto Towers model into the scene and its seen reflecting in the glass on the front of the building.

530 Collins Street:

Let me know what you think. Time to fix up the nightlights  ;)
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

Vlasky

I'd only suggest dirtying up the concrete part of the roof (darn's way which I think you already use -- procedural dirt) and for the metal part of the roof bump up the reflectivity but check FG to make it look a bit more metallic as in RL. I think that the granite on the base looks a bit pale compared to the RL tho.

I am really glad you're revisiting old models. One more thing I'd like to point out is that your earlier models seem to lack Ambien Occlusion so don't forget to check it this time and set the parameter to 4m.  :thumbsup:
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

kelis

It's really nice to see you on SC4Devotion !! Now is time for me, to write a nice comment for you, why? It's simple.
I think we have to give you a BIG THANKS for all your work, in the last years your work is one of the best. Your dedication and time doing a lot of amazing things for the game...I just can say that I really appreciate that and I want to say THANKS one more time.

PD: I never wanted to do an Australian region...with your work in my hands the things are changing... :bnn: :bnn:
If those tram textures are some day available, I will put all my effort for a good recreation of your city, I think your bats deserve a recreation of Melbourne.

Greetings  ;)
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

romualdillo

Those reflections are hypnotic!! I agree with making the textures a bit dirtier, I think it will improve the general view (imho).

noahclem

Looking great  &apls  I love the way the reflections turned out and the new textures and it's a beautiful model. Excited to see how it turns out  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

Quote from: figui on April 17, 2015, 08:11:13 AM
looking really good. fallen leaves for the autumn trees would be quite nice  ::)

I'm not overly keen on that for urban use. I think it looks a bit messy and most cities clean up fallen leaves from pavements and roads IMO. In parks and gardens its fine
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

reddonquixote

Hi everyone, sorry for the long hiatus. Some very exciting but nevertheless time consuming developments on the RL side have kept me away from BATing. These BATs are taking too long to get back to, so thought I'd show you what I've done so far at least.

Firstly, replies-
Vlasky: Thankyou so much for your advice. All excellent suggestions. When you say the granite on the base, do you mean the black polished granite blocks at the entrance, or the whole pink-coloured base? Yes, absolutely Ambient Occlusion I want to fix. It wasn't something I used in my earlier models and now have an opportunity to fix it  :thumbsup:

Kelis: Thankyou, that was a very nice thing to post. Just so you know I'm building these BATs to go into my own Melbourne recreation, but I've seen some of your work and I'm sure you'd amazing things with it.

Romualdillo & Noah: Thankyou as always  ;D

Belfastsocrates - Good point! Thanks.

Anyway, here's where I got up to with most recent BATs.

- 530 Collins with dirtier roof and more metallic roof.
- 520 Collins - Completed (thoughts?)
- 500 Collins - Still have the roof and base to complete. (thoughts so far?)

I'm seeing lots of amazing stuff happening in everyone's threads I hope to be back contributing more very soon  ;D

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

cmdp123789

OMG! That looks fantastic  &apls

To be honest, the content you produce is so high in the quality scale that I cant see how is it possible that you go back and make it better, yet you do.. I have no idea how you do it.. but you are nailing it buddy!

romualdillo

weixc812

Great work, reddon  :thumbsup:
Are you planning to place these 3 buildings on one lot?
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

noahclem

Excellent progress  &apls  I really like the two newer buildings (newer to me anyway). Best of luck with what's keeping you busy :)

Vlasky

There is something about whole blocks being rendered together ... THAT I LOVE!!! lol Looks awesome!

However, I don't see that you've used that procedural dirt technique for the roofs. They're too clean. ALso check if you've checked AO for those materials.

By granite on the base I did mean pink colored one. ALso for it, I'm not sure if the granite is covering the top or if there is concrete on the roof of the entrance, so double check that. On the left part of the base the concrete seems too polished and reflective, so try lowering the reflectivity and glossiness.

Also metal parts of the two lower buildings is too reflective imho. Did you try checking the FG option?
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

bombardiere

St. Paul. Wow!  &hlp  Thanks and Hugs.  I will give detailed feedback after I have fired up my SC4.

noahclem

Great to see that beauty up on the LEX and can't wait to see what you'll be up to next!!!

cmdp123789

OMG.. I think I love you right now.. thats the one Ive been waiting the most..  :o

reddonquixote

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you liked St Paul's. It was a long time in the making but got there eventually  ;D

Long time between replies and updates... what a busy year its been!

Weixc - I haven't really worked out a release yet. Definitely not all three buildings. 530 Collins will be separate, the other two buildings will most definitely be released as prop buildings, but their dimensions aren't really SC4 lot size compatible on their own, not really sure how they will go on a lot together... Dunno!!  ()what() Any suggestions?

Vlasky - Thanks! I really like your FG trick, I never knew of that before, I'm using it on a lot of my materials now  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone else, appreciate the nice comments  ;)

Here's an update on 500 Collins Street. There's some things a bit lacking I think, any ideas happy to hear them. I can see some obvious things to fix up, but after the detailed renders thought I'd post something and fix them later. Let me know what you think  ;D

(The back looks a bit weird, there's a rear courtyard/ beer garden in the back I still need to make and add on)

reddonquixote

...and here's some finished renders of 520 Collins Street:

(It still needs scaling up 133%)