• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Import files between BAT projects

Started by deanva, May 13, 2020, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanva

If i make several items in a BAT file can I import them into another BAT file? Example if I make several style windows and save that file on the computer can I use those windows in a building I am designing in another BAT file. I am using GMAX, forgot to mention that before.

thingfishs

Hi Deanva,

yes you can. I use 3DS Max (but hopefully this is done exactly the same in gmax, in case that's what you're using). Simply select the objects you want, then file>save selected. In your new scene go to File>Import>Merge and merge the newly saved scene. From memory, that newly saved scene will be within the export folder.

(Edit: Memory being the operative word. Using this method, the newly saved scene will be in your scenes folder. You can achieve the same thing via export but the described method works fine for me...).

Good luck, we can never have enough people adding things to the game!

deanva

thingfishs I am using GMAX changed my original entry to reflect that.

thingfishs

Okay, with gmax the process is as follows:

1: Select the files you want to be able to open in another project.
2: File/Save Selected

(Then in your new project)

3: File/Merge
4: Select the objects (see picture - if you don't select them nothing will be imported).

Voila!

If there are many individual elements, you may, after step 1, want to combine them into a group. Then when you get to step 4, you would only have 1 item to select. (That is, assuming gmax has grouping function... it has been a long time since I've used gmax for anything other than BAT4MAX exporting).

Good luck, let me know if you have any problems.