• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Jason's BATs

Started by Jasoncw, April 06, 2008, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasoncw

I guess it should be a library then?

Ehanson:  The proportions of the individual windows were originally based off of the IBM building.  I found an elevation photo of it and copied the proportions.  As I worked on it though, I might have changed them. 

Baconrocky:  No, I never have.  I've thought about doing some of the buildings in the Detroit Medical Center, but the ones I had looked at were newer than that.

Thanks for the support everyone.   :)

Another new project.  This will be a CS$$$ department store.  A wall to wall 3x2.

Also, I've uploaded the Knoll Building to the STEX.

jeronij

Hello J

I am glad to see you around here and showing so excellent creations  :thumbsup:

That last project is really elegant. I would suggest you to use real floors and transparent glasses for the bottom floors. It would make it look more real, and would allow inside illumination. You could use a texture for the grounds to simulate the furniture and details. This is of course a suggestion. The overall shape is very good so far  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Jasoncw

Thanks jeronij!  Yeah, a modeled interior might be best for such huge windows.  I'll try out your suggestion.   :)

This will probably be the last day preview before I render.

BigSlark

Jason,

I love your BATs, they definitely convoy the feeling of the urban United States during the 20th century.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see how you diversify our downtowns next.

Cheers,
Kevin

fantnet

Jason -

When will you be finishing your new police station?

Jasoncw

BigSlark:  Thanks!

Marcszar:  But that's two more weeks you have to finish your projects!  lol  My original intention with the building was to make it taller, but the windows weren't looking very good, and I was having trouble finding good proportions for it.  The renders started taking longer too.

Fantnet:  I sent the police station to someone to test, so whenever that is done it will be ready to upload as long as it's working correctly.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday doing the nitelites.  I don't have much of a preview of them, because I'm not going back and changing them, lol.  They look good though.

I've started lotting, and I've come to two options, #1 and #2.  What do you guys think of them?

After it's decided which one to work from, I'll do some finishing touches and it will be ready for the STEX.

SimFox

I love the LOT a lot!
Clean, realistically spacious! I guess I should as you to make LOTs from my buildings  ;)

I think 1 looks slightly better...

Building is great too. Game need such clean uncluttered structures.
Nightlighing is good. Only thing that I would notice is still clearly visible shadows fromt he lights at ground floor. Of course this would depend on lighting used there, but in most cases it would be very defused one so it wouldn't produce ANY noticeable shadows from object of cross section like those frames. But I know folk LOVE shadows - as a sign of light, I guess.
Generally I don'¨t think that interior lighting would light the exterior quite so much to do so it would have to be unbearably bright inside... Decreasing it would also help blending into LOT better...

autoVino

very nice building, simple yet beautifully composed  :thumbsup:
I go for lot one.

freedo50

Nice work, I prefer lot no. 1, although they're both great!

Fred

Jasoncw

The library has been uploaded to the STEX!   :)

It is lot #1, but I fixed the lines on the overlay textures.

Thanks guys.   :)

zero7

I always like your models, but they're generally a little too American looking for my tastes.  This library, however, will sit very comfortably in a European style city and so has gone straight into my plugins folder.

Call me Richard

Shadow Assassin

You know, Jason, that library is cosmetically identical to the main police station located in Sydney. :P

I'll see if I can hunt down a picture.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=170679

The police station takes up the wider section below the tower.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jasoncw

zero7:  heheh, yeah, I know what you mean.  There are a lot of BATers I think, "it's too bad they're not American."   ;D

Shadow Assassin:  So the police station is in the same building as an energy company?   :P

Pat

Jason I love the new library!!! You done a great job on it!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jasoncw

Thanks Pat!

Today I worked on the department store from last April.  Still a lot to do though.

bigskelding

Its Coming Along really Nice. I think U should Put some kind of old pianted faded add one side of the building. it would give it even more of that vintage look.
GO WINGS GO!!!   My BAT Thread http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4705.0

Jasoncw

Bigskelding:  Thanks!  I'm going to pump this one out, so that I can go back to my other projects, so I'm probably not going to do anything fancy.  Making the ad texture wouldn't take very long, but finding an era appropriate ad that could realistically be used as a painted advertisement, that is clean enough to make into a texture take more time.  Plus I don't know that a high end retailer would want ads on the side of itself.

Marcszar:  Thanks, that's interesting that you've found those styles in this, since it is supposed to be just normal 1930s art deco.  Originally it was inspired by the LaSalle Bank Building from Chicago.  Then when I decided to make it a department store, I started basing parts of it off of Bloomingdale's Department Store In New York City.  This isn't the same or a recreation of either of those, but that's what I was looking at.  The limestone won't have flashing or a cornice.  From my understanding either limestone doesn't need flashing, or there is some kind of internal seal somewhere, because I've seen a lot of limestone facades with no flashing.

I'll work more on this building right now.  There might be an update later tonight.

Edit:  I've worked more on the building.  The bulk of it is done, the rest is just tweaking and adding details (loading bay, roof junk, etc.).  Though like I said before, I want to finish this up really quick so that I can go back to my other projects.

jmyers2043

Hey Jason - Nifty building. Nice clean lines. Very contemporary.

You spoke of detail (loading dock) I really do like it when people pay attention to all angles. Good textures will lift a so so building from OK to nice. Details then lift it from nice to exceptional. And your buildings are always top quality. I also like to place loading docks at the rear of my buildings too. So Sim movers can get desks in or out. I've also been known to put large-ish vents in the rear or maybe a double door between two vents. This can simulate a room at the rear that has chillers other mechanical equipment. I see from the side view that you have a straight line of windows simulating an emergency stairwell. I do that as well and also include emergency exit at the bottom of the stairs.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

superhands

jasoncw, your work is top quality. the detail and texturing is so realistic :thumbsup:
dave.

bigskelding

Looks great Jason! Im guessing its coming out on the STEX? Cant wait to D/L it!
GO WINGS GO!!!   My BAT Thread http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4705.0