• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Metarvo steps up to BAT

Started by metarvo, January 15, 2009, 07:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

First off, great to see some new vehicles and FA variants will surely be in high demand.

MMPs are no trouble really, I can help you with that if need be.

The SD/HD question is much easier answered by doing both. If you DATPack all the models, you can offer two one with SD and another with HD renders. Give each model the same ID when rendering, careful working with gMax/BAT4Max will achieve this for no effort. Then regardless of what you do with them, Props/MMPs and everything else can reference whichever set the user installed, saving a lot of needless duplication.

The models themselves look great, but perhaps the textures could use a little adjustment to work with the SC4 palette a little better. The white ones are pretty good, but the Yellow and Lime models could do with toning back. Maybe reducing the saturation and adding a gradient (if you haven't already) would improve them.

I'd also say they look a bit squashed horizontally for a Focus, stretching them a little longer could work wonders. Although I understand it's necessary to try and keep the size of existing car props for the sake of consistency. For that reason, it would be nice to see a comparison shot with some of Girafe's or SHK's cars, which are probably some of the best out there right now.

However, all said and done, there's nothing so hugely wrong here that would prevent me using them as they are.

metarvo

Thank you for the input, mgb!  :)

I've begun the process of editing the Focus model to be a little longer to see if that helps.  Since the problem originates in the source model, I figure I should edit that one and then rotate and retexture it to get all of the different angle and color variants.  Speaking of color, I'm also editing most of the textures themselves since they're too bright.  Placing them next to SHK's cars (which happen to be on the parking lots I most often use) makes this obvious.  My plan at the present is for most of the cars (other than the Focus) to be somewhat neutral or dark, since those seem to be the most common colors, but I find that smaller cars and sports cars get brighter colors.  Still maybe not as bright as what I had, though!  ::)

In the meantime, so I don't burn out, I'm continuing to BAT these power poles too.

I've sort of been kicking this idea around lately.  This shows up rarely as an alternative to that 5-degree metal 345 kV angle pylon, but it almost seems bulky enough to be used in a substation, so now I'm getting ideas.  ()stsfd()
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Simmer2

Those poles look great! Perhaps you could slap a weathered concrete texture on the concrete feet (they seem too bright).
And of course, since it would only take a bit longer to render, it would be a bonus if you could render them in HD.
HD works wonders on angled thin models (you don't get too much zig-zag such as SD does)

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

The power poles look great - I don't see any real issues with zig-zagging. It looks like you've struck a really good balance between the delicateness of the line size and what gmax will actually render  :thumbsup: